My Passport will be here Friday by 8pm. I'm currently on Verizon and will need to port my phone number over to either AT&T or T-Mobile. So who should I go with. Looks like based on maps/coverage it's about the same in area here as Philadelphia and the suburbs gets good coverage on every carrier. Price point isn't far off and my company pays anyway so thats not much of a concern. I guess it comes down to customer service, etc. Do I just go with AT&T because they will eventually have the phone and T-Mobile won't be able to offer me tech support or anything because they won't have the phone?
    11-06-14 04:20 PM
    My month is almost up on tmo. Gonna try a month with att. Tmo group msgs sucks. Have to send every txt at mms for it to work properly. Coverage here in ne phila is aight on tmo. But I do hit a lot of dead spots on bucks and montco. That's why I'll be trying att

Posted via CB10
    anon6040766 likes this.
    11-06-14 04:24 PM
    I'm using my Passport with an AT&T GoPhone sim and it works great. No coverage issues and I get LTE in a lot of areas. My Q10 and Z10 (both unlocked and no sim) get updates directly from BlackBerry so I'm assuming the same would happen if you use the Passport on T-Mobile. You may just have to take your T-Mobile sim out to get the updates. You won't get any updates specific to T-Mobile and the Passport optimized for their network, or have support for things like WiFi calling.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 04:27 PM
    Don't trust coverage maps. If you can, try it yourself. AT&T covers much more places than Tmo in the Philly area.

Posted via CB10
    anon6040766 likes this.
    11-06-14 04:30 PM
    you guys must be money bags and i'm making deep six figs.

there's no way i'd give up tmob unlimited for $82 with no corporate discounts out the door per month. i stream radio, podcasts, youtube, watch some football w/ nary a worry and i log 60gb per month which is crazy and i really don't even get on my phone THAT much.
    11-06-14 05:24 PM

there's no way i'd give up tmob unlimited for $82 with no corporate discounts out the door per month. i stream radio, podcasts, youtube, watch some football w/ nary a worry and i log 60gb per month which is crazy and i really don't even get on my phone THAT much.
    You may not get on your phone that much, but 60GB is 60GB. Wow that's a lot of data. Lol
    11-06-14 05:27 PM

Yeah so I don't use but like 3GB or so. My phone is all communication and I have WiFi in the hospital at work and at home so I probably use 3GB off WiFi and 15GB on WiFi that's free.
    11-06-14 05:31 PM
    I live in the suburbs and work in philly. Go with the AT&T. T-Mobile is cheap. But you get what you pay for. Spotty coverage, and pain in the arse group messaging. If you have a corporate discount, the monthly plan costs between two companies are wash. I tried T-Mobile for 3 days until I ditched them. Outside of Verizon, I don't think AT&T is the best bet.

Posted via CB10
    AdamThatsIt likes this.
    11-06-14 05:59 PM
    A couple of factors worth considering;
    1) If you travel internationally, especially to the EU, with TMo, there are no data charges for getting info over wifi. International calling is also at low expense.

That said, if the rumor is true that AT&T will sell the Passport, combine that with there statements that they will have wifi calling (not necessarily for the passport), that's another factor.

But your choice today doesn't need to be permanent. You don't need a contract, so you can change at will. If you sign up with either carrier and find the coverage isn't right for you, within a couple of days of signing up, you can get out of whatever activation fees, if any, you paid.
    anon6040766 likes this.
    11-06-14 06:04 PM
    Oh by the way, unless your hospital is underneath the AT&T tower, your reception will suck big time.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 06:06 PM
    I made the move from Verizon to AT&T to use the Passport about a month ago. Got a post paid no annual contract plan and everything has been working well.

As far as I know, t mobile will never fully support the Passport, so you won't get wifi calling, which is a necessity to operate with them and also a nice feature when you're traveling.

I'd go with AT&T, no annual contract. If it doesn't work then at least you're not stuck.

Posted via CB10
    anon6040766 likes this.
    11-06-14 06:10 PM
    Att, but I would say net10 or aio wireless.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 06:11 PM
    Oh by the way, unless your hospital is underneath the AT&T tower, your reception will suck big time.

Posted via CB10
    Well I'm more concerned with data in the hospital and will be on WiFi but I know plenty of doctors with AT&T that have no problem with calls in the hospital. But I guess it depends on the hospital. Moreover, certain areas of hospitals suck in general for all carriers. Thanks for the heads up though.
    11-06-14 06:12 PM
    I heard once you activate a device on AT&T they lock it. So if you wanted to jump carriers afterwards the device would be locked. Anybody know of that's true? I'm on Verizon now and was deciding between both tmobile and AT&T. I've had it with Verizon never getting any good phones. Passport!

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 07:25 PM
    I heard once you activate a device on AT&T they lock it. So if you wanted to jump carriers afterwards the device would be locked. Anybody know of that's true? I'm on Verizon now and was deciding between both tmobile and AT&T. I've had it with Verizon never getting any good phones. Passport!

Posted via CB10
    So even if they locked it they would be required to unlock it at your request. Additionally, if I'm correct...and I might not be...but the IMEI isn't in their database so they use a dummy IMEI to activate your phone so as long as you don't put it on a contract I don't see how they could luck a phone that doesn't technically have a device ID they own? That's just my "opinion/thought" though...would still try to confirm first.
    11-06-14 07:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    No that's not true. I've ran several unlocked phones on AT&T and never had this. I could take the SIM out of my passport and throw in anything I wanted.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 07:40 PM
    I live in the suburbs and work in philly. Go with the AT&T. T-Mobile is cheap. But you get what you pay for. Spotty coverage, and pain in the arse group messaging. If you have a corporate discount, the monthly plan costs between two companies are wash. I tried T-Mobile for 3 days until I ditched them. Outside of Verizon, I don't think AT&T is the best bet.

Posted via CB10
    True. Spotty coverage, but if you live in a spot of coverage then who cares.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 08:52 PM
    I have Tmobile. However the data is very good and unlimited the cell service is second rate. I am in the Detroit Metro area and it is has daily problems. But the pricing is very good, I had Verizon and I definitely notice the cell service between the carriers

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 09:16 PM
    For coverage, AT&T. There are plenty of times I dont get coverage on t-mo. Not a big deal if there is a wifi spot I can connect to. Which is even easier with the new comcast mega-net that they're enabling by default on their routers. However, no wifi calling on the passport, so there is that. Cant beat the price on t-mo.
    11-06-14 09:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol,.. no. I actually used a third-party unlocked AT&T branded SGS 4 active to activate my LTE plan (before they added the Passport IMEI range to their LTE capable device list), verified that it worked, then switched the sim to the Passport. I then popped back in a digicel sim card (that I use for trips to the caribbean/latam) into the SGS 4 active and it still worked fine.

So if they wouldn't re-lock one of their devices, I doubt they would lock a non-ATT device. If they did, I'm sure some lawyer somewhere would have cooked up a nice class action lawsuit already.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 09:41 PM
    This has more to do with Apple's new programmable SIM iPads. The idea is that you insert one SIM and never have to swap it out when changing carriers. AT&T, however, will lock it to their service and if you want to switch to T-Mobile, you'd have to swap out the SIM, as before.
    11-06-14 11:39 PM
    If you get good coverage whether you're on AT&T or T-Mobile USA, then T-Mobile's free International Coverage, free Music Streaming, and lower cost are nice things to have. Whether you're on AT&T or T-Mobile, there's currently no Wi-Fi Calling on both.
    11-06-14 11:42 PM
    If you get good coverage whether you're on AT&T or T-Mobile USA, then T-Mobile's free International Coverage, free Music Streaming, and lower cost are nice things to have. Whether you're on AT&T or T-Mobile, there's currently no Wi-Fi Calling on both.
    Wifi is only really needed for T-Mobile because they lack lower frequency bands that penetrate buildings better. The day they do manage to get a slice of that low frequency pie will be the day they stop being the uncarrier, end the gimmicks, and basically start taking as much money from you as they can for as little as they can get away with (i.e. VZW and AT&T).

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 12:14 AM
    Wifi is only really needed for T-Mobile because they lack lower frequency bands that penetrate buildings better. The day they do manage to get a slice of that low frequency pie will be the day they stop being the uncarrier, end the gimmicks, and basically start taking as much money from you as they can for as little as they can get away with (i.e. VZW and AT&T).
    Wi-Fi Calling works great when you're overseas and want to make free calls/txts using your own number. It's not just about filling coverage gaps.

In regards to coverage gaps though, in my office, I don't get TMO coverage so wi-fi calling comes in handy. My office mates on ATT don't get coverage and they're just stuck. We have a deal with VZW so there are VZW repeaters everywhere. Only VZW customers get coverage, but it has nothing to do with VZW's low frequency spectrum. The building isn't mobile friendly.

Whether TMO stays Uncarrier or not is immaterial at the moment. They're Uncarrier now and have good prices that have affected both VZW and ATT. That's a good thing for consumers in general. Since there are no contracts, customers can easily switch away from TMO if they "pull a VZW or ATT".
    modifier likes this.
    11-07-14 03:22 AM
    Wont be your number but there are wifi calling apps on play store. I know google hangouts can do it, but again, won't be your number. Or will this not work on tmobile for some other reason?
    11-07-14 07:12 AM
55 123