Has anyone tried inserting a Verizon SIM into a Passport?
    I know Passports are made for GSM carriers and Verizon uses CDMA - I'm not asking for a lesson in cellular technology.
    I would just like to know what happens when someone with a Passport (AT&T, unlocked, etc.) inserts a Verizon SIM into their device - what functionality works/what doesn't?
    If you have a Passport could you please find someone with a Verizon SIM and try it out? and please let me know where the Passport was purchased (AT&T, unlocked, etc.) - Thanks!

(I ask because I've heard from a reliable source that this should work, and I would like to confirm)
    03-06-15 03:32 PM
    Yes, this has been tried. And it doesn't work. Nothing happens.
    03-06-15 04:08 PM
    Yes, this has been tried. And it doesn't work. Nothing happens.
    Have you personally tried it? Because this is what I was asking for, I'm looking for first-hand experience.
    If you have, what do you mean by "nothing happens"? SIM card doesn't register? Can't connect to mobile network? What type of Passport do you have?
    Thanks!
    03-06-15 04:29 PM
    Have you personally tried it? Because this is what I was asking for, I'm looking for first-hand experience.
    If you have, what do you mean by "nothing happens"? SIM card doesn't register? Can't connect to mobile network? What type of Passport do you have?
    Thanks!
    Whoops--I actually misread that a bit. You're talking about SQW100-1 and the AT&T Passport -3. I was talking about the -1 only, which actually has an in on the Verizon network that the AT&T Passport doesn't (in other words, the -1 has more of a chance of working on Verizon.)

A CB user by the name of CrackedRosco Flip4Bytes has actually tried and posted his experience. I will look for the CB blog comment he made and update this post if I find it.

Edit: here is one forum post by CR, albeit not the blog comment I'm thinking of: http://forums.crackberry.com/verizon.../#post11362915

Edit2: here is another person saying that the -1 did not work on Verizon: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post11183633

Edit3: found it! Took longer than I thought, maybe because I was attributing it to the wrong person... : http://crackberry.com/comment/2197308#comment-2197308

And here are some more experiences: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post10892134, and the post right above it.
    Last edited by raino; 03-06-15 at 05:26 PM.
    Thorsten Heinsight likes this.
    03-06-15 04:40 PM
    Still not going to work, Verizon does not let phones that are not Verizon branded on there network. This has been said time and time again.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 11:53 PM
    I can't comment on whether this will work or not, but if you're asking because you're on Verizon and want to use a Passport, I say ditch 'em and go to T-Mobile. I let them buy out my Verizon contract and brought over a Passport that I bought from Amazon. No regrets. I actually had the intention of winding up with AT&T, at the end of the day, but T-Mobile has been so great, I'm gonna stick with them.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 01:06 AM
    Sorry, its not gonna work on Verizon but when unlocked it will work with T-Mobile and other MVNO's in the states like red pocket, simple mobile, etc
    03-07-15 04:53 AM
    I have personally tried it with the SQW100-1, it didn't work, see Raino's edit 2 above for the full details. I may have also posted in the other threads...
    03-07-15 10:36 AM
    The tech of that idea:

1) VZW is CDMA. Only CDMA locked to VZW will work.

2) Some VZW phones have a sim card slot. That's not for VZW. It's so Verizon can compete with AT&T and T-Mo unlocked phones to offer a device that can be used with a foreign sim in other countries.
    03-07-15 10:42 AM
    Verizon uses the SIM slot for their LTE SIM cards.
    03-07-15 10:47 AM
    I left Verizon for att for the passport. No regrets.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 11:52 AM
    Verizon uses the SIM slot for their LTE SIM cards.
    They need a sim for LTE?
    03-07-15 12:07 PM
    They need a sim for LTE?
    Yeah. Most of their current phones do. I think some initial phones may not have, but current ones all do.

I think even Sprint uses SIMs for LTE.
    03-07-15 12:21 PM
    Yeah. Most of their current phones do. I think some initial phones may not have, but current ones all do.

I think even Sprint uses SIMs for LTE.
    Do the sim sockets just work for LTE or will they handle using an overseas full service sim, too?
    03-07-15 01:20 PM
    Do the sim sockets just work for LTE or will they handle using an overseas full service sim, too?
    Domestic and foreign GSM, UMTS, LTE. A lot of these phones also have UMTS 850 and 1900 bands now which makes them usable on AT&T and to a lesser degree, TMO.
    03-07-15 01:39 PM