As I try out the AT&T Blackberry Passport, I am wondering, IF I decide to keep the Passport vs my iPhone 6 Plus the following:

1. Am I better off getting an unlocked version online vs keeping the AT&T branded one? Advantages or Disadvantages? Price certainly seems like one advantage.

2. The one advantage would be the choice between Red and White vs just Black. Red looks really cool, but as a business professional in his 40's, I'm not real sure it will be received very well. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.

JOHN
    04-20-15 12:09 PM
    There would be a delay in software updates but we just had a major update release. I get mine in a few weeks and I have no worries about software updates at this point. There are more rich features in a blackberry than most can handle.

Posted from a Z30. Get one!
    04-20-15 12:15 PM
    I have an unlocked Passport and i really like it. One of my main reasons for going the unlocked route was to get the updates faster as carriers routinely cause delays. I also didn't want to be in any type of contract.

I will say one feature the ATT version has that i wish my unlocked one had is wireless charging.

On the whole i am very happy with my passport and it is a very powerful device.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 12:21 PM
    I have an unlocked Passport and i really like it. One of my main reasons for going the unlocked route was to get the updates faster as carriers routinely cause delays. I also didn't want to be in any type of contract.

I will say one feature the ATT version has that i wish my unlocked one had is wireless charging.

On the whole i am very happy with my passport and it is a very powerful device.

Posted via CB10
    I have the unlocked version as well and I can agree that I got the unlocked version because I didn't want to be under another contract. I also got the unlocked version for more carrier freedom. I didn't know that I get updates faster with the unlocked version though.

Guess I got another reason to be happy with the unlocked version. I think the at&t version is nice too but personally I just like the freedom that comes with having the unlocked version.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 12:29 PM
    I have the red unlocked version. I prefer the squared off corners and like being able to receive my software updates directly from BlackBerry. Also, I prefer the red and ATT only carries a black device.

So far as being a 40-something male professional just grab a black Vaja case. It looks beautiful with the red keyboard and is quite professional looking. I also work in an office environment and this is my solution.

Posted via my gorgeous red Passport
    04-20-15 12:35 PM
    I have a white unlocked version. Beautiful device and I prefer the original design. The reason I went unlocked is to get OS updates direct. Despise waiting on a carrier. Very '13 in my opinion. I also do not understand people "leasing" their devices with a monthly payment.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    04-20-15 04:36 PM
    I have the at&t passport, the rounded corners fit better in the pocket, I bought my phone out right, I'm on there go plan, they have good service.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 06:31 PM
    As I try out the AT&T Blackberry Passport, I am wondering, IF I decide to keep the Passport vs my iPhone 6 Plus the following:

1. Am I better off getting an unlocked version online vs keeping the AT&T branded one? Advantages or Disadvantages? Price certainly seems like one advantage.

2. The one advantage would be the choice between Red and White vs just Black. Red looks really cool, but as a business professional in his 40's, I'm not real sure it will be received very well. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.

JOHN
    At this point it would make the most sense to go unlocked during the spring cleaning sale lol. AT&T pays you if you buy your phone outright depending on your data usage. I get $15 off/month for bringing my own device. The unlocked version will not be tied down to carrier updates. There are some far and few between horror stories of screen lifting on the original. This should be covered under warranty anyway, but BlackBerry also has their own insurance which is rather competitive. It does not cover lost or stolen devices though so that is an option if you want insurance on your device.

The AT&T version seems to be better built regarding the frame/structural issues some have had, but with the warranty and/or insurance you'd be covered anyway and doubt you'd have this issue, but worth mentioning I guess. I thought the insurance was actually a great idea from BlackBerry for their unlocked devices they sell since the carriers sure as hell aren't pushing them; at least in the US.

The red "limited edition" is on sale with the others and is very professional yet attention grabbing at the same time. Being in your 40s doesn't mean you're dead just yet lol. The red has black frets rather than the stainless steel of the black and a black hard shell would tone it down nicely. I'd be more concerned with the white looking out of place. Black is just black. All things considered, if I were you I'd go for the red unlocked Passport possibly with the black hard shell just to tone it down for you a bit.

You didn't mention much on cases which brings up another issue unless your device will be in its naked glory. The AT&T version doesn't have much aftermarket support compared to the original although it seems to be getting better. I'd buy the unlocked on sale and take the $15-25/month bill credit. It adds up in time. Just more food for thought to confuse you lol. Enjoy whatever you decide is best for you!

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 09:00 PM
    I'm a professional and have the red Passport - completely professional. A lot of people ask about it actually; great icebreaker.
    It's not as loud as you'd think, very impressive looking.

I like and will keep my red one, but I am looking for a At&t one (just because of the rounded corners) to customize
    Want to take it apart and make the bezel and stuff gold; make it truly unique.
    04-20-15 10:49 PM
    Last week I was gushing over the AT&T one but this week, it's the red one

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 10:59 PM
    Unlocked all the way... plus something about the corners.. love em. The rounded off AT&T version loses that certain something.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 11:59 PM
    I'm had the original and then got the AT&T version.

Original is distinct and even though it's very classy IMO, the square-ness stands out more. The keyboard is not as smooth and balanced as on the AT&T. I also didn't like the glue spot that shows up on the back (I believe the red unit does not have this problem)

The AT&T version is so much more comfortable in the hand. This has nothing to do with rounded corners, and everything to do with the flat border. On the original, the sides are not flat and can feel sharp when holding, the phone for calls.

Software updates are easier with the unlocked because it seems BlackBerry is pushing those directly to unlocked devices, so you won't have to wait for carrier updates. But then again, we're on Crackberry, we don't need no stinkin' carrier updates :-)

I would recommend the AT&T! If that is an option for you.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 12:09 AM
    Is the ATT version $110 better?

The sale on the unlocked ones makes it an even better value. Looks aside, the ATT one will have wireless charging if it means anything to you.

Personally, I find the unlocked version more attractive.
    04-21-15 01:09 AM
    I have the red Passport with an OEM holster. I have Ghost Armor matted protective material on the back, which tones down the color. With the black trim this device presents itself well.
    04-21-15 02:12 AM
    I have both right now. You can find an AT&T version that someone most likely purchased on contract and decided to resell for about the same price as the unlocked. If you're not an AT&T customer, you can unlock it for free through AT&T. Took them 3 days to get me the code but mine is unlocked now.

Aesthetically, I absolutely prefer the original. But I'm giving the AT&T a fair try, and tomorrow will be day 3 (going to give it about a month).

I will say, if function trumps looks, the AT&T is for you. It is that much better of a typing experience. BlackBerry really refined the keyboard on the AT&T model, and with the additional chin space, I find my typing that much faster, better, and accurate. The design is starting to grow on me a little bit as well. Wireless charging is a nice addition.
    04-21-15 02:17 AM
    I have both right now. You can find an AT&T version that someone most likely purchased on contract and decided to resell for about the same price as the unlocked. If you're not an AT&T customer, you can unlock it for free through AT&T. Took them 3 days to get me the code but mine is unlocked now.

Aesthetically, I absolutely prefer the original. But I'm giving the AT&T a fair try, and tomorrow will be day 3 (going to give it about a month).

I will say, if function trumps looks, the AT&T is for you. It is that much better of a typing experience. BlackBerry really refined the keyboard on the AT&T model, and with the additional chin space, I find my typing that much faster, better, and accurate. The design is starting to grow on me a little bit as well. Wireless charging is a nice addition.

Did you go straight from the box new for the unlock through AT&T's website?
    04-21-15 08:01 PM
    Did you go straight from the box new for the unlock through AT&T's website?
    Yes. The website threw me an error that IMEI was not found, so I had to call a few times to get a knowledgeable CSR. They'll say there's nothing they can do but just inform them of new legislation and their requirement by law to unlock it.

But yes, I started unlock process right away.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    04-21-15 10:30 PM
    I tried both and definitely there isnt any keyboard improvement on the att. They completely messed up the passport design, the frame on the att version is split on the bottom, possibly silver plastic. The att would not have gotten the red dot award for sure.
    04-21-15 11:30 PM
    I tried both and definitely there isnt any keyboard improvement on the att.
    First person on every Crackberry post I've read who's said this.
    04-21-15 11:41 PM
    This keyboard thing. Is it real? I only have the AT&T version.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 01:25 AM
    This keyboard thing. Is it real? I only have the AT&T version.

Posted via CB10
    After a month, it'd be interesting for you to use an Unlocked version for a few days to see if you feel the same way. Most people who have used both (that I've read on here) have gone from the original to AT&T and not the other way around.

There's 2 AT&Ts on Swappa right now for a little under $500
    04-22-15 01:35 AM
    if you need wireless charging, then AT&T is the way to go, if you need an unlocked unit but want the AT&T version then just get it unlocked. Also, some people find the AT&T version feels better in the hand, but it has the rounded corners and AT&T logo which some people don't like.

Personally I like the look of the non AT&T version more and the lower price is a bonus.

Although I love the look of red as well I would go with a Black unit for business use.

Cheers
    04-24-15 08:05 AM