BlackBerry Passport and Classic Available from AT&T on February 20 | AT&T

So I looked into this announcement today and right next to the US $649.99 price is a reference note number 5. If you scroll down the note says: "Requires activation of new line of qualified wireless service."

So.....apparently no annual contract does not mean unlocked or even outright. You still have to add a new line (month-month) to get the device at the $649.99 price??????

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 10:54 PM
    Every provider is like this. Find me an exception anywhere where carrier hardware is being sold without any repercussions. Specially a launch.

Posted via Passport.
    02-16-15 10:57 PM
    Whatever you do, don't get tricked into their jump program. Consumer nightmare.....

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 11:02 PM
    In Canada we don't have to sign on for a months service. I can buy outright at some providers, others will make you buy it on a prepaid plan. You top up the prepaid plan with $10 and your done.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 11:09 PM
    That is the out right price, have you ever bought a phone without a contract before?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 12:04 AM
    That is the out right price, have you ever bought a phone without a contract before?

Posted via CB10
    Okay, so educate me. What does outright price mean?

BTW, I'm a gadget geek, most of my devices I buy are off contract. I've bought two Q10's, a Z30, a Passport and a Classic in the past 12 months in addition to a Lumia 1520 directly from the MS store.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 12:41 AM
    Definitely would get the at&t variant if anyone willing to help get it unlocked!

Sent from my Passport
    02-17-15 12:43 AM
    Definitely would get the at&t variant if anyone willing to help get it unlocked!

Sent from my Passport
    As of 2/11, I thought US carriers became required to unlock any phone that is either purchased outright or whose contract is fulfilled.
    http://www.fcc.gov/device-unlocking-faq

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    02-17-15 01:28 AM

BTW, I'm a gadget geek, most of my devices I buy are off contract. I've bought two Q10's, a Z30, a Passport and a Classic in the past 12 months in addition to a Lumia 1520 directly from the MS store.

Posted via CB10
    I'll reply with my experience from Verizon before switching to AT&T for the Passport. I had a grandfathered unlimited data plan and the only way to keep the plan is to purchase outright. This was from my Droid Bionic I think...

Anyway, when I went from the Android to the Z10 to the Z30 I paid the outright price from Verizon for their model to keep my unlimited data. Buying outright from whoever will get you their model phone with logo, etc. without being on contract. So if I wanted to switch to AT&T the day after purchasing the Z30 outright I could have without any termination fee.

AT&T would be the same, buy the phone outright and you are not bound to a contract and can do what you want with the device. I'm sure the AT&T model likely has all the bands AT&T uses. Not sure if T-Mobile uses the same as they are the only other US carrier on GSM (not counting the prepaid who ride off of the major networks for the most part anyway).

I believe AT&T is still allowing their unlimited customers to upgrade via contract unlike Verizon though. My mother did with her Z10 and kept her unlimited data with the subsidized price.

Maybe that helps; just my experience.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 01:52 AM
    BTW, I'd recommend buying outright anyway... I bought my Passport from DR in September and activated it in October on AT&T and they give you a discount between $15-$25 off per month for buying outright depending on data usage and you don't have a contract to worry about.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 01:56 AM
    Yes you can upgrade via AT&T and keep your grandfathered unlimited plans. I've done it when I was short on cash but I usually buy my phones outright. You just need to make sure once it's all done that it's correct because they will screw you if you don't pay attention.
    02-17-15 05:12 AM
    I'm confused. The Next plan offers the passport for 21.67 per month for 24 months. Total $520.08. Compared to the full retail of 649.99? So you save $$ by spreading out the payments? Why not do that and just pay it off a month later? I'm on verizon, so trying to make sense of the att pricing options. Verizon Edge would be exactly 649.99/24 = 27.08.
    02-17-15 05:22 AM
    ^^^Next 24 is not 24 months. Next 24 is a 30 month payment program

Next 12 = 20 months
    Next 18 = 24 months
    Next 24 = 30 months
    oaknut john likes this.
    02-17-15 09:48 AM
    OP, what they mean by that ^5 is that since this phone is "exclusive" to AT&T, it should only be used on AT&T... you do get to buy it outright @ $650 + change, but they will probably try to talk you into opening an account/lines with them. I'm sure you have the option to say no thank you and walk away, slip in a T-mo sim and be done with it (if that is your plan) however I don't see the point if AT&T has better coverage than T-mo. (but to each their own I guess?)

I feel like this (warning) is their way of making sure people don't buy it to use on other networks.
    02-17-15 09:50 AM
    ^^^Next 24 is not 24 months. Next 24 is a 30 month payment program

Next 12 = 20 months
    Next 18 = 24 months
    Next 24 = 30 months
    Well, that's pretty stupid. Designed to confuse the consumer I suppose.
    02-17-15 09:51 AM
    OP, what they mean by that ^5 is that since this phone is "exclusive" to AT&T, it should only be used on AT&T... you do get to buy it outright @ $650 + change, but they will probably try to talk you into opening an account/lines with them. I'm sure you have the option to say no thank you and walk away, slip in a T-mo sim and be done with it (if that is your plan) however I don't see the point if AT&T has better coverage than T-mo. (but to each their own I guess?)

I feel like this (warning) is their way of making sure people don't buy it to use on other networks.
    Tmo plans are cheaper.
    02-17-15 09:52 AM
    Tmo plans are cheaper.
    I see
    02-17-15 09:54 AM
    Tmo coverage has definitely gotten better in my area, so for $80 it's worth a try. It's month to month anyhow, so no problem if the coverage sucks. Can't wait to hold this baby and type type type!
    02-17-15 09:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    A brand new device, off-contract, at launch?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-17-15 10:11 AM
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough in the OP. My gripe is with the terms that says it requires:

Activation - there's sometimes (non-refundable) fees here
    New Line - why should I have to add a NEW line if it's outright?

I am an AT&T customer and am going to buy this. However I do not want to add a new line just to buy it outright.

I've been redirected to fine print many many times in dealing with businesses, so I always read that stuff and take it literally.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 10:56 AM
    In Canada we don't have to sign on for a months service. I can buy outright at some providers, others will make you buy it on a prepaid plan. You top up the prepaid plan with $10 and your done.

Posted via CB10
    Or just open a line, and cancel it when you get home. Downside is you still get hit with a credit check. But I did it in the past, no issues there.

This is why when carrier ties with hardware sucks. Only in North America I see this kind of bullcrap all the time. Anyone remember 3-year contracts?
    02-17-15 11:17 AM
    Well, that's pretty stupid. Designed to confuse the consumer I suppose.
    Not really. Next24 simply means that you can upgrade to a new phone in 24 months, as in early upgrade. But you are trading your current phone in.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 11:34 AM
    Not really. Next24 simply means that you can upgrade to a new phone in 24 months, as in early upgrade. But you are trading your current phone in.

Posted via CB10
    If you do the next plans, after you've paid off all the monthly dues, you get to keep the phone correct?
    02-17-15 12:40 PM
    If you do the next plans, after you've paid off all the monthly dues, you get to keep the phone correct?
    Yes.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 12:48 PM
    Actually, when the Passport launched in Canada and even for the next two months or so, no carrier would sell you the Passport outright in a shop. Telus sold outright if you ordered online only. Even today some stores won't sell outright. It depends on how busy they are generally. The more business they get, the less likely hey are to sell outright. It's a dumb practice from a consumer standpoint.
    02-17-15 12:48 PM