02-24-15 08:57 PM
79 1234
tools
    Is it just me or was there no wireless charging module in the box? Is it just something that the ATT Passport is capable of but requires an accessory purchase?
    02-19-15 04:02 PM
    Bloatware comments are puzzling. I understand that this used to be a concern when storage was very limited, but the Passport has almost 30GB of usable memory. The apps also do not consume processing power unless they're running so I'm not sure why this comes up so often. Back with my Bold, I just stuck them in a hidden folder.
    You could do that, but my issue with bloatware is that it's my phone! If I want AT&T's apps, I will download AT&T's apps. I don't know the size of bloatware apps on BB10 because I deleted the one app my carrier did load, but on Android, they can be quite hefty. For instance, Google Plus--which was preinstalled on my Android phone--was 25MB! If you go with a conservative estimate of five such apps, that's 125MB of storage I'm losing out, not to mention who knows what they're doing in the background.

Is it just me or was there no wireless charging module in the box? Is it just something that the ATT Passport is capable of but requires an accessory purchase?
    I didn't see anything either. Does AT&T provide PMA mats or whatever they're called? Given how hard they're pushing the standard, it seems to me that they should...
    OscarCr likes this.
    02-19-15 05:05 PM
    I didn't see anything either. Does AT&T provide PMA mats or whatever they're called? Given how hard they're pushing the standard, it seems to me that they should...
    All I saw was the normal charging cord.
    02-19-15 06:18 PM
    All I saw was the normal charging cord.
    Sorry, I meant with other PMA-capable phones. Is it standard for them to provide PMA chargers with other phones, or do other OEMs do it?
    02-19-15 08:29 PM
    That phone seems to be thicker and taller than the original one. Don't know how I would feel about that.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 08:29 PM
    I would like to see the red version on AT&T (hoping!!!)

Dantheman XD Z10!!
    02-20-15 02:40 AM
    Z

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 08:07 AM
    That phone seems to be thicker and taller than the original one. Don't know how I would feel about that.

Posted via CB10
    It is taller because it has an extended chin (on the bottom) which makes holding and typing way more comfortable than the cramped OG Passport (my hands would cramp up after a while and I would have to put it down) I also hated trying to hold the passport by that tiny space and would often end up just holding it by the keyboard.

Thicker -- I doubt it, because the redesign and the original have the exact same internals. I'm betting it's an optical illusion because of the curvature of the phone

AT&T BlackBerry Passport Unboxing-blackberrypassportces-08179.jpg
    Last edited by thedose; 02-20-15 at 08:22 AM.
    02-20-15 08:07 AM
    To all of you who keep crying about bloatware, here it is, directly from the AT&T Passport site Blackberry Passport -- AT&T

In my previous experience, all of the aforementioned apps should be 100% removable, and unless this Passport has a custom OS for AT&T (which prevents removal of these apps, or bloatware as some might call it) then I don't see why they wouldn't be removable as they are not part of the system's core... and are simply apps.

AT&T BlackBerry Passport Unboxing-screen-shot-2015-02-20-9.15.07-am.png
    chflower likes this.
    02-20-15 08:17 AM
    It is taller because it has an extended chin (on the bottom) which makes holding and typing way more comfortable than the cramped OG Passport (my hands would cramp up after a while and I would have to put it down) I also hated trying to hold the passport by that tiny space and would often end up just holding it by the keyboard.

Thicker -- I doubt it, because the redesign and the original have the exact same internals. I'm betting it's an optical illusion because of the curvature of the phone

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackberrypassportces-08179.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	530.0 KB 
ID:	335146
    The ATT Passport should be slightly thicker as it has wireless charging built-in. Just as the Verizon Z30 was thicker than the OG Z30.
    quailallstar likes this.
    02-20-15 08:28 AM
    I have the Unlocked Passport (square shaped) and I love the shape, it's so nice. The ONLY thing I don't like is that my right pinky hurts if I use the phone too much to type. Because of the way I hold it. I use my pinky as support to hold the phone. So I think this round shape would create less pain than the square design. I still like the way the original Passport looks more than this one.
    02-20-15 09:59 AM
    Glad to see all the accessories are included.
    But like others I'm liking my og design better.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 10:24 AM
    The ATT Passport should be slightly thicker as it has wireless charging built-in. Just as the Verizon Z30 was thicker than the OG Z30.
    wireless charging.. Then they should release it internationally.
    Hot cakes ... sales ....
    02-20-15 12:14 PM
    Looks great except for the deathstar logo on the back cover.
    02-20-15 12:50 PM
    Got mine ordered online today. Can't wait to see how it feels in hand. The AT&T logo doesn't bother me near as much as Verizon's lol
    quailallstar likes this.
    02-20-15 01:24 PM
    Doing round corners in passport is to give the people what they want, although in my opinion original passport look better. The original passport is designed by having the aim to make something unique and to look great in same time.

Passport
    I think the Passport was the first shot at revising the BlackBerry design language. When you change an overall look, though, it will inevitably put off at least some current users who are comfortable with the current language.

The other thing is that when you change to a more "geometric" shape, you wind up with a device that LOOKS less ergonomic. Even though the original Passport is clearly designed to the same human-factors standards as every other BlackBerry device, and is surprisingly comfortable to handle, the straight lines and sharper corners make it look less user-friendly.

Personally, I prefer the sharper design of the original, but I can sympathize with AT&T in wanting to go with a look that would be a little more familiar for their users. As far as I'm concerned, they should go with whatever they have good reason to believe will succeed with their customers.
    02-20-15 01:31 PM
    wireless charging.. Then they should release it internationally.
    Hot cakes ... sales ....
    This wireless charging they built in was an AT&T requirement. It's using a relatively obscure standard (based on adoption.)
    02-20-15 02:26 PM
    I don't know if it's the red color but the OG passport looks better in the pics - then again, I think it is the point edge and the glossy look
    02-20-15 04:21 PM
    Is AT&T's Passport compatible with T-Mobile?
    02-20-15 07:19 PM
    Yes it is ***under review***

Except for that band 12. But that's not even a nationwide thing yet.
    Last edited by raino; 02-21-15 at 02:12 AM.
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    02-20-15 07:33 PM
    Looking at the specs from the AT&T site and the BlackBerry site, seems like it is indeed taller but not thicker:

From AT&T Site:
    Dimensions

Size (inches) 3.56 x 5.16 x 0.36
    Weight (ounces) 6.91
    From BlackBerry site on original PP:

Size
    Height 128 mm / 5.04 in
    Width 90.3 mm / 3.56 in
    Depth 9.3 mm / 0.36 in

Weight 196g / 6.91 oz
    thedose and AnimalPak200 like this.
    02-20-15 08:12 PM
    Yes it is

Except for that band 12. But that's not even a nationwide thing yet.

Thank you! I didn't even know they had Band 12.
    AT&T has been getting to my nerves, so I am planning to just leave them and go to T-Mobile and have T-Mo pay for my ETF after grabbing Passport on the cheap.
    Although, I might stay if they sweeten the deal because they want me to pay $20/mo just to get unlimited text, it's a bit weird. Anyway, let's see what the next few days hold. T-Mo said they might also get new BB's but god knows when.

PS: Wow, that signature!
    02-20-15 10:43 PM
    Hold on. Let me confirm UMTS 1700's in there. That's a key TMO band, and there's some conflicting information about its presence.
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    02-21-15 02:11 AM
    The new one looks good...but the original one looks better in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-21-15 06:46 AM
    Looking at the specs from the AT&T site and the BlackBerry site, seems like it is indeed taller but not thicker:

From AT&T Site:

From BlackBerry site on original PP:
    I guess it just appears thicker because they brought the full thickness of the device out all the way (or almost all the way) to the outer edges. The Passport is thickest in the middle and gradually tapers down towards the side edges. Actually makes me appreciate the original Passport's design even more, as it effectively makes it look thinner.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 06:54 AM
79 1234