01-31-15 09:34 PM
58 123
tools
    Pma needs a case qi doesn't.
    Upon further review, looks like you're right. Yikes. So you've got to buy a charging base, and a special case? Anything else?

I don't care much for wireless charging, and don't say this often, but the PMA standard needs to die.
    01-24-15 11:18 PM
    Why would it not work on the dock? Aren't both of the phones flat on the bottom??
    01-25-15 02:12 AM
    So when AT&T asked for the changes after the Passport was already in production, you think BlackBerry should have said no?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    They should have already had it on the Passport. It's supposed to be their best phone and when you're fighting to win customers you need to include more features. Look at what Hyundai did in the early 2000s in terms of making a lot of features standard when those same features would have costed extra on competing cars. And look at how much they've changed their brand and image in America since then.

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub likes this.
    01-25-15 02:17 PM
    They should have already had it on the Passport. It's supposed to be their best phone and when you're fighting to win customers you need to include more features. Look at what Hyundai did in the early 2000s in terms of making a lot of features standard when those same features would have costed extra on competing cars. And look at how much they've changed their brand and image in America since then.
    Qi/PMA wireless charging has been around longer then BlackBerry put it in its first phone. It has not exactly helped its adopters set sales records. Apple isn't even a member of either standard-pushing organization much less an adopter, and we know how well their products sell.

Quite simply, wireless charging caters to a very niche consumer base. And a company with very focused sales goals and limited revenue cannot target every niche market out there.
    01-25-15 02:23 PM
    Qi/PMA wireless charging has been around longer then BlackBerry put it in its first phone. It has not exactly helped its adopters set sales records. Apple isn't even a member of either standard-pushing organization much less an adopter, and we know how well their products sell.

Quite simply, wireless charging caters to a very niche consumer base. And a company with very focused sales goals and limited revenue cannot target every niche market out there.
    I agree with you in that we don't know how much boost this feature really gives to sales, but LG flagship phones are capable of it and same for the Galaxy phones and the Nexus 4 & 5. So while it's not really a standard feature, it's still a common one nowadays. Which goes back to what I was saying, when you are trying to win customers you need to include these features.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 02:33 PM
    I agree with you in that we don't know how much boost this feature really gives to sales, but LG flagship phones are capable of it and same for the Galaxy phones and the Nexus 4 & 5. So while it's not really a standard feature, it's still a common one nowadays. Which goes back to what I was saying, when you are trying to win customers you need to include these features.
    And I'm saying that by no quantifiable data is wireless charging winning anyone new customers. Apple's strong showing quarter after quarter actually goes to minimize the feature's draw.

BB is better off spending money on other things/features that will pull customers--innovation, improving its bread and butter, etc.
    01-25-15 02:44 PM
    Ya but I believe if Apple added it.... Then the whole world would need it then lol
    01-31-15 09:06 PM
    Could the larger "chin" on the AT&T version be a way to fit the AT&T globe logo there? Pobably not, as the photos I have seen don't show any branding. Anyway, I don't think wireless charging is necessary on the Passport since the battery is a beast. However I can understand that wireless charging is a feature some will appreciate.
    01-31-15 09:34 PM
58 123