It should have been provided at launch. Just like the rounded corners.

Posted via CB10
    and you should have went to sleep last night for "5 hours in your power less dorm room" and spare the rest of us from your constant drivel. Try spending the whole weekend working to get back on your elusive "sleep pattern"
    01-23-15 09:23 AM
    This is peevish and more than a little childish. YOU knew what the specs of the original Passport were when YOU decided to buy it. Blackberry has done nothing wrong. They are just continually improving their products as any good company should be doing.

As an owner of the original Passport I'm quite happy about these improvements. They will bring more people to the platform.

This whole thread should be deleted really.

Posted via CB10
    Although I'm not mad about not getting wireless charging, I will admit I wish that the original has the feature. However, it's not fair for you to say we knew what we were getting because we didn't know what the AT&T version would be getting. In other words we didn't know what we wouldn't be getting!

Same thing in regards to the styling (although this one is much more preference than wireless charging, a feature). I honestly bought the Passport with the expectation that the AT&T version to be the same as the original (Of course one should never assume things and expect to always be correct). I actually do like the round corners and want wireless charging. While I'm not bitter about it like other posters on Crackberry, I will say I wish I knew about these differences when I bought my Passport. I would have decided whether the tradeoff was worth the wait.

And while I agree with you about how it's good BlackBerry is improving it's devices, addition of features and changes in styling are usually reserved for the annual refresh of the phone, not 5 months after release.

Posted via CB10
    p1800nut likes this.
    01-23-15 10:06 AM
    And while I agree with you about how it's good BlackBerry is improving it's devices, addition of features and changes in styling are usually reserved for the annual refresh of the phone, not 5 months after release.

Posted via CB10
    So when AT&T asked for the changes after the Passport was already in production, you think BlackBerry should have said no?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    zlatno likes this.
    01-23-15 10:14 AM
    I'm good. Perfectly ok with the Passport I have now. Wireless charging is more of a gimmick anyway and I really like my desktop charging dock I use now for bedside mode. But hope the AT&T version does well. If it sells well it helps us all in the long run.

Passport on AT&T
    RoseBud68 and Flatman like this.
    01-23-15 10:36 AM
    Funny how some people get all pissy about these features for the att version, but when the phone first came out they were all loving it and applauding it for the features it did have.

Posted via CB10
    zlatno likes this.
    01-23-15 10:40 AM
    On my side, I just don't understand WHY BlackBerry does put wireless charging on all models?

Why making two versions of the same thing ?

If it would be Verizon, I would have understood as they use CDMA and not UMTS as the rest of the world, so you have to make a different version. But AT&T is using same types of networks (maybe different frequencies?) as Europe and most of the world, so no reason at all us not having wireless charging.
    Verizon likes Qi, AT&T demands PMA. Plus, it costs money to fit phones with these components, and the benefit (of wireless charging) is, arguably, not that great to be putting it in all models. It is not a sale-driving feature.

The classic needs wireless charging too. Just saying.
    And it will. The Verizon ones will have Qi, and the one from AT&T will have PMA.

Personally, I'll take the better global compatibility over wireless charging any day. Oh, and did somebody say...Peevish?
    Flatman likes this.
    01-23-15 10:46 AM
    This is peevish and more than a little childish. YOU knew what the specs of the original Passport were when YOU decided to buy it. Blackberry has done nothing wrong. They are just continually improving their products as any good company should be doing.

As an owner of the original Passport I'm quite happy about these improvements. They will bring more people to the platform.

This whole thread should be deleted really.

Posted via CB10
    It's a classic bait and switch. Your ignorance and failure to understand the concept doesn't make me childish. Learn what a bait and switch Is and we'll come back and talk.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 07:47 PM
    It's a classic bait and switch. Your ignorance and failure to understand the concept doesn't make me childish. Learn what a bait and switch Is and we'll come back and talk.

Posted via CB10
    Please. It's not bait and switch...it's listening to the customer and responding.

It's a phone, get over it. I'm sure you would also complain if you were on att and couldn't get the first version when it came out.

I for one could care less about wireless charging. I'm able to take the extra second to plug in the charger. Would you like to run out and buy a charging mat for your home, office and vehicle?

Posted via CB10
    chflower likes this.
    01-23-15 08:13 PM
    Bait and switch, and that too the classic kind, eh? Is that a qualified legal opinion, counselor?
    zlatno and manonthemoon like this.
    01-23-15 08:14 PM
    Round or square or diamond shape ATT needs to put the phone out sooner than later. Coupled with Blackberry's **** poor marketing campaign, 9 out of 10 people still have no clue the phones are still manufactured. It's basic marketing 101. Chen has did a horrible job of promoting his current products.
    Flatman likes this.
    01-23-15 08:24 PM
    On my side, I just don't understand WHY BlackBerry does put wireless charging on all models?

Why making two versions of the same thing ?

If it would be Verizon, I would have understood as they use CDMA and not UMTS as the rest of the world, so you have to make a different version. But AT&T is using same types of networks (maybe different frequencies?) as Europe and most of the world, so no reason at all us not having wireless charging.

I don't care of round or straight corners.

Posted via CB10
    In 5 seconds of thinking:

1. costs more in terms of BOM
    2. costs more in terms of test setup for factory validation
    3. costs more in licensing (maybe?)
    4. increases costs as more potential RMA points of failure means less margin and/or profit
    5. wireless charging standards have been all over the place and sitting back and waiting for a standard to become king is a decent strategy instead of betting on the wrong horse.

Reality aside, I loved wireless charging and had an aftermarket case for my old BB9800 phone years ago. When the phones and ipod was too old to use, none of the wireless charging mats and cases could work with newer models. So that was a fair bit of money on accessories that I used for only months and hasn't been used in years (note to self, unplug it when I get home).
    raino likes this.
    01-23-15 08:42 PM
    Interesting. The green-eyed monster is never far. Fortunately/unfortunately(however you view it), old blue(at&t) requested modifications in order to sell a device that BlackBerry definitely wants to sell. But, that doesn't have any bearing on the initial version that is still awesome. Really? Peeved at something this trivial......a modified version. LOL.

from my Z30 on 10.3.1.2072 via Tap-a-Talk (~_*)
    raino and thedose like this.
    01-23-15 10:15 PM
    In 5 seconds of thinking:

1. costs more in terms of BOM
    2. costs more in terms of test setup for factory validation
    3. costs more in licensing (maybe?)
    4. increases costs as more potential RMA points of failure means less margin and/or profit
    5. wireless charging standards have been all over the place and sitting back and waiting for a standard to become king is a decent strategy instead of betting on the wrong horse.

Reality aside, I loved wireless charging and had an aftermarket case for my old BB9800 phone years ago. When the phones and ipod was too old to use, none of the wireless charging mats and cases could work with newer models. So that was a fair bit of money on accessories that I used for only months and hasn't been used in years (note to self, unplug it when I get home).
    I don't agree. In any case, it will always cost more to have two versions.

Anyway, maybe we can modify easily the straight version to have wireless charging ? As the back cover is not a door but screwed, maybe it is pretty easy?

Do we have pictures of the internal and the inside of the back cover?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 06:15 AM
    Bait and switch, and that too the classic kind, eh? Is that a qualified legal opinion, counselor?
    This is early adopters remorse, not bait and switch. Bait and switch would probably be the exact opposite of this anyways.
    01-24-15 07:51 AM
    Since it's at&t it will be a pma charger, which sadly means it will require a case

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 12:05 PM
    Since it's at&t it will be a pma charger, which sadly means it will require a case
    Wait...really? You can't charge native PMA devices by just placing them on a mat or something? I thought cases were required only for devices that weren't PMA capable...
    01-24-15 12:23 PM
    I don't agree. In any case, it will always cost more to have two versions.

Anyway, maybe we can modify easily the straight version to have wireless charging ? As the back cover is not a door but screwed, maybe it is pretty easy?

Do we have pictures of the internal and the inside of the back cover?

Posted via CB10
    It would have been awesome if they made it a modular upgrade path, build the phone with contacts for each standard, let the carrier define which witless charging coil gets inserted, and better yet have an opportunity for users to add the feature if they bought a version that does not provide for witless charging. There are tons of after market solutions for Sammy S3 and S4 phones. I have always hoped there would be a after market wrapper for the oem battery that could ride the charging contacts for a Q10.

Even though wireless is a little slower it makes for great desktop stand solutions or picking up a quick incremental charge when one hits their desk. Hopefully the Energous truly wireless solution or something similar will make it into the next generation of berries.
    01-24-15 12:24 PM
    Wait...really? You can't charge native PMA devices by just placing them on a mat or something? I thought cases were required only for devices that weren't PMA capable...
    Yep. Every phone on at&t that has wireless charging requires a case.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    01-24-15 01:52 PM
    Seeing how a power sucker is the screen, and how often I need to charge, a wireless charge would have kept my device chraged up all the time.

Sometimes it sucks to be an early adopter...

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 01:56 PM
    I read somewhere that it uses Powermat for wireless charging and not 'chi' charging format which makes sense as AT&T is a partner in that format of wireless charging.

Posting WIDE with CB10 on the Blackberry Passport
    01-24-15 02:12 PM
    Yep. Every phone on at&t that has wireless charging requires a case.
    Are you sure? From this it sounds like only non-PMA phones need add-on cases.
    01-24-15 02:53 PM
    What is the clear advantage of wireless charging?

If the AT&T units had a more powerful processor or more memory or something less than cosmetic, that would make a real difference to early adopters.

If you want to know the best example I recall of hammering early adopters, look at DirecTV. As one of the first 10,000 customers in 1994, I got to watch as every successive wave of customers got more free things from them, from subscription boosts to free receivers and DVR's, while I got nothing but rate hikes.
    01-24-15 06:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually, it is not bait and switch. Bait and switch is when you promise one thing, and deliver something else. Or, if you advertise an attractively low priced item that winds up being unavailable when you arrive at the store - then they try to steer you towards something else. There was absolutely no bait and switch here. The exact item that was advertised is what you purchased and received.
    Blacklatino, chflower and hpjrt like this.
    01-24-15 08:22 PM
    Are you sure? From this it sounds like only non-PMA phones need add-on cases.
    Pma needs a case qi doesn't.
    raino likes this.
    01-24-15 09:15 PM
    I had wireless charging on my Verizon BlackBerry Z30. Waste of a feature. I never used it, and because of the wireless charging, the body was slightly thicker. Not so much to make it noticeable, but enough to make it unusable with many of the accessories for it. AT&T BlackBerry Passport owners are now going to experience this on a dramatic scale, since the phone is an entirely different shape. None of BlackBerry's accessories are going to work with it now, and I highly doubt BlackBerry or AT&T are going to make an entire line of accessories just for the AT&T variant. Plus the phone costs $50 more outright from AT&T.

I do wonder if AT&T had wireless charging put into the Passport, because with the Passport's new shape, it probably doesn't fit right into the Passport charging dock from BlackBerry, and AT&T wanted an alternative to the dock. Another thing to consider.

Of course, none of this is even going to matter to be honest. By the time AT&T even gets the Passport out, we may be getting a glimpse at the Passport 2, Visa, and Victoria at MWC, with possible release periods in Q3 and Q4 of this year for these devices. So, while everyone who bought a Passport direct from BlackBerry has been enjoying them for the last several months, AT&T is about to release a device that is going to be obsolete most likely as early as end of summer. I think it's safe to say that another American carrier has blew this again for BlackBerry. Thanks AT&T.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    01-24-15 10:03 PM
58 123