I ask this for what I believe others are experiencing as well- On a hard reboot, battery life is excellent for a day or so. Then I notice the "system" usage rise day by day from single digit percentage to 20, 25%. Then battery life is terrible. Another hard reboot, everything is well again. I can't point to a specific app that is causing this. I've closed all apps I don't use regularly as well as stop running when minimized on all apps not needed. Any similar experiences and what may be causing this? And what exactly does "system" control?
    tp2386 likes this.
    03-08-15 09:33 PM
    I don't have an answer, but I'd love an answer to this as well.
    garpt likes this.
    03-08-15 09:51 PM
    Same here, quite frustrating when the only solution is to reboot... hard to accept for an OS specialize for business purpose...
    garpt likes this.
    03-08-15 10:34 PM
    I figured this is not a unique problem.
    Interesting.
    03-08-15 11:38 PM
    System is the whole OS, including the android runtime. It covers all the background stuff....

Never had this problem....

I any more details from your side would be appreciated, like apps installed etc....

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 12:01 AM
    When you say you have never experience this problem, you might want to state your normal rate of battery consumption...reason is that I find many people with battery usage from 100% to 20% in 18 hours with light use state they have no problem...which is indeed what we are experiencing as a problem...

Our problem here is, phone is fine with battery lasting 2 days, meaning 100% to 20% in 42 hours with light use as normal for several days, then suddenly system starts consuming power for no reason with all app closed, and only way to calm system down is to reboot.

I emphasis, after reboot, phone has amazing battery life, then after several days, it just plummet for no reason.
    03-09-15 12:55 AM
    I am heavily using my phone and is usually just lasts around 15-20 hours. Over the weekends or on holidays, it is @ around 35 hours...?

System includes access to other pcs via link as well...

"SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_055738.png
    "SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_055756.png

Posted via CB10

30% in 10 hours seems OK, since I have been using it most of the time.... and the other part from 9PM until now has been while I was constantly on my phone.... seems fine to me as well....
    03-09-15 12:59 AM
    What is the RAM usage of your System? Just want to know the normal RAM usage. My System is currently using 478.1MB and Android Player uses up another 114.2MB.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 01:46 AM
    "SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_065555.png

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 01:56 AM
    @Warlack - green background on your diagram mean you are used battery save mode!? Is that why you so clever with your battery life?

"SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_072044.png
    "SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_072057.png
    "SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_072118.png
    "SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_072127.png

As you can see on my phone system takes only 2,9%.
    I will keep an eye on it

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 02:25 AM
    "SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_072733.png

Since last charge...... I am travelling around and getting very bad reception.... furthermore I am 'killing' my device at the moment.... constant usage....

I always have battery savings on.....

3 hours and around 24% lost is 7% per hour approx....

How is your reception?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 02:29 AM
    "SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_165803.png
    "SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_165812.png
    "SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_165817.png
    "SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_165826.png

I had my system burning up battery again at around 1PM. After reboot, it calms down again. You can see I can maintain great battery life without using battery saving mode. So those who claim they are not experiencing this problem, they might need to question themselves again.
    03-09-15 04:02 AM
    My system RAM is at around 450MB. I usually get 18 hours of battery life. Good enough to last the day and then charge it at night.

I am a moderate/heavy user. And always have my phone linked to Blackberry Blend on my laptop.

"SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_195447.png

"SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_195432.png

IMG_20150309_195417.png

IMG_20150309_195532.png

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 07:00 AM
    RAM:
    My system usage is at 330.0MB.
    PIM Services: 94.7MB
    Android Player: 87.2MB
    Input Services: 58.4MB
    Hub: 28.2MB

Everything Else: about 130MB.

That is after one day's use since hard reboot.
    I think the more telling thing is how System usage will sneek up day by day, 16% over last 24 hours, 49% over last 48 hours. This in my case is what is draining the battery more and more day by day (IMO). I use Android apps very seldom, and then usually only a couple of news sites. I turn every other android app "off" in device manager until I get to the bottom of it.

By "good" battery life in my case, is around 75% left after a 10 hour workday (first day), 60% after second day, then 40% left by the third/ fourth day, consistently, with approximately the same usage. No major variable changes, I am in my office on the Wifi system every single day for 9 of the 10 hours. I don't travel in my job.
    Last edited by garpt; 03-09-15 at 07:40 AM.
    03-09-15 07:29 AM
    Not sure why you are getting this issue???, I haven't rebooted my Passport for about a week now and my system sits at 3.3% most of the time.

Got to be some sort of rogue app that's running in the background, I'd just wipe and see if the system is still running high. If not then install your apps one by one till you find the culprit.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 10:36 AM
    System includes Radio as well.....

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 10:56 AM
    System includes Radio as well.....

Posted via CB10
    I'm a light phone user; most of my business during the day is on our office system. I average under 30 min. per day phone use.
    03-09-15 11:56 AM
    Not sure why you are getting this issue???, I haven't rebooted my Passport for about a week now and my system sits at 3.3% most of the time.

Got to be some sort of rogue app that's running in the background, I'd just wipe and see if the system is still running high. If not then install your apps one by one till you find the culprit.

Posted via CB10
    I should see that in the usage, CPU, or RAM spikes when I check each app individually. Nothing out of the ordinary. In addition, until I can try to isolate the problem. I "close" all the Android apps I have (maybe 10 at the most) in the DEvice Manager.
    03-09-15 11:59 AM
    With regards to system and radio I meant your overall reception. When you are travelling from cell tower to cell tower or have several areas with low coverage, it will force a higher battery drain. Further more all background tasks are shown within System. I find it curious to happen after 2 days on a regular basis.

If you are not using apps which require a lot of processing power like CB, the keyboard is counted towards System....

My quite average usage.... I was at work until now....and yeah... I rarely sleep

"SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_174732.png
    "SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_174711.png
    "SYSTEM" in device manager- What exactly does it control?-img_20150309_174618.png

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 12:56 PM
    I'm a light phone user; most of my business during the day is on our office system. I average under 30 min. per day phone use.
    Radio means signal, texting, internet, anything that needs to use your antenna
    03-09-15 01:05 PM
    When you say you have never experience this problem, you might want to state your normal rate of battery consumption...reason is that I find many people with battery usage from 100% to 20% in 18 hours with light use state they have no problem...which is indeed what we are experiencing as a problem...

Our problem here is, phone is fine with battery lasting 2 days, meaning 100% to 20% in 42 hours with light use as normal for several days, then suddenly system starts consuming power for no reason with all app closed, and only way to calm system down is to reboot.

I emphasis, after reboot, phone has amazing battery life, then after several days, it just plummet for no reason.
    This is exactly what happens to my Passport! If BlackBerry is not responsible for this, maybe it is North Korea trying to hack my phone.

Posted via CB10
    garpt likes this.
    03-09-15 01:18 PM
    Radio means signal, texting, internet, anything that needs to use your antenna
    My PIM usage s light (see my previous posts). I'm on my small office WiFi system 9 of 10 hours/ day.(See my previous posts.) 5 bar signal (WiFi). Internet usage is light as I'm on my office computer all day. (I don't travel in my job, (see my previous posts.)
    03-09-15 07:11 PM
    With regards to system and radio I meant your overall reception. When you are travelling from cell tower to cell tower or have several areas with low coverage, it will force a higher battery drain. Further more all background tasks are shown within System. I find it curious to happen after 2 days on a regular basis.

If you are not using apps which require a lot of processing power like CB, the keyboard is counted towards System....

Posted via CB10
    My "overall reception" conditions six days a week when I am tracking this battery drain is noted in..........."My Previous Posts."
    I'm not going to rehash it. I do understand that searching for towers in less then ideal conditions is a major battery drain. Doesn't apply here since (see my previous posts) I am on my office wifi all day when I track this. And I am tracking this from pulling the phone off the charger and going to work in the morning (less then 1/4 mile from my home) and return trip home 10 hours later. (75%- 60%- 40% battery during three day period, point to point.) My usage and time measurements are nearly scientific in accuracy. (Hey, maybe I'm a boring guy....)
    03-09-15 07:24 PM
    I have been noticing the same thing. I noticed this started to happen after i updated the kindle app( I uninstalled recent apps one by one). I would reset the phone and with 24 hours the system would start to take more and more CPU cycles, >50%. The reset would fix it but only for a day. I noticed that the amazon app store and kindle app process could not be killed during these periods of high system cpu cycles. I deleted the kindle app and the system went back to below 5% instantly. I reinstalled the app and am hopeful this fixed the issue . So far today everything is back to normal but I won't know for sure for a couple of days.

Do you have the kindle app installed? I use this phone to read my amazon books as the screen is perfect for reading books.
    03-10-15 10:16 AM
    I have been noticing the same thing. I noticed this started to happen after i updated the kindle app( I uninstalled recent apps one by one). I would reset the phone and with 24 hours the system would start to take more and more CPU cycles, >50%. The reset would fix it but only for a day. I noticed that the amazon app store and kindle app process could not be killed during these periods of high system cpu cycles. I deleted the kindle app and the system went back to below 5% instantly. I reinstalled the app and am hopeful this fixed the issue . So far today everything is back to normal but I won't know for sure for a couple of days.

Do you have the kindle app installed? I use this phone to read my amazon books as the screen is perfect for reading books.
    I love to read amazon books in Passport! A lot of time it is better than Fire HDX8.9

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 11:16 AM
31 12