After reading heR,e & trying CCleaner & such still have huge system footprint. I see a security WIPE in my future for the first time af(er a year... question is, with full backup via link, what will I wind up losing anyhow? All media & docs are on my 128gB SDHC already. Must I remove the SDHC during the wipe? During the restore? Is the restore effective? Easy? Complete? What about android apps I have? What else? Will I regret having done it? Is there any other way to get rid of this problem?

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 03:33 AM
    You can keep your SD card in and leave it as usual, make sure you backup your device first then wipe it and your Apps will be fine.

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    anon(679606) likes this.
    12-06-15 03:43 AM
    How long to be back up & ready to use?
    12-06-15 03:45 AM
    With restoring a backup and the wipe, maybe an hour depending on your backup content; the wipe can take a while so plug it into mains and simply leave it to wipe.

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    12-06-15 03:53 AM
    Is there a painless way to save my numerous pages saved as home screen icons list?

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 04:05 AM
    You have 11Gb left.
    The question is, what do you have on the phone that your willing to let go of and save else where?
    Like onto a computer, server, or cloud storage.
    One thing you could try doing is removing email accounts.
    Than reinstall them.
    And in the sync settings only go back about a month or less.

Also social accounts like Facebook, clear out notifications for them.
    Each notification on the hub generates code that takes up storage space.

Pictures, move them onto a computer or into cloud storage.

There's a lot of things you can do before OS reload.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 07:48 AM
    I was advised when recently wiping my Z10 to turn BlackBerry Protect OFF as my wipe jammed at about 98% and then I started getting Errors and a reload from link failed so I autolaoded the OS and all is well and I can sell/give away my much beloved Z10.

Passport SQW100-4 10.3.2.2474
    12-06-15 10:17 AM
    Don't do a security wipe, just reload from BlackBerry link.
    The wipe might not even fix anything.
    12-06-15 10:52 AM
    Don't do a security wipe, just reload from BlackBerry link.
    The wipe might not even fix anything.
    I agree with this. Unless you want to risk sitting around and waiting for 7 days until your "security wipe" finishes, do a reload using Blackberry Link. If you decide to suffer the security wipe, make sure you decrypt your device and remove your sd card.
    12-06-15 10:58 AM
    After reading heR,e & trying CCleaner & such still have huge system footprint. I see a security WIPE in my future for the first time af(er a year... question is, with full backup via link, what will I wind up losing anyhow? All media & docs are on my 128gB SDHC already. Must I remove the SDHC during the wipe? During the restore? Is the restore effective? Easy? Complete? What about android apps I have? What else? Will I regret having done it? Is there any other way to get rid of this problem?

Posted via CB10
    Before you wipe make sure that the SD card is not encrypted

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-06-15 11:00 AM
    OK... please elaborate including the difference of these (security wipe vs reload) so I don't screw it up....

Done with care, is there any chance I can brick it?

What are the differences in what I lose with both ways? How long is reload? Is a reload non-destructive? If reload doesn't resolve the misery, do I try the wipe after? Are one or the other likely to fix the original misery?

I already have all stuff (media, documents, backups, etc.) on the SDHC card.

Why would I want to leave the external card inserted during this debacle?
    Last edited by patapoof; 12-06-15 at 11:29 AM.
    12-06-15 11:04 AM
    Thanks to all...
    12-06-15 11:30 AM
    OK... please elaborate including the difference of these (security wipe vs reload) so I don't screw it up....

What are the differences in what I lose with both ways? How long is reload? Is a reload non-destructive? If reload doesn't resolve the misery, do I try the wipe after? Are one or the other likely to fix the original misery?

A factory reset or reload contains a security wipe so really they are the same thing. It is just that MANY people seem to have a problem with the security wipe process. I have gone through this problem twice where the wipe process just seems to get "stuck" and really never completes. So, the best way to do this is to hook it up to your PC, start Blackberry Link and complete the restore to factory process. This process is quite fast (maybe 20 minutes or so) depending on what you have on your device. There is no need to remove your sd card but I usually do. The reload is, of course, destructive. It wipes your device completely and as if you just took it out of a new box. You have to set up all your accounts, email accounts, download all your BBW apps, set up your BBM again etc. Usually where people get problems is when they restore info and settings BACK into their device after the reload. You basically are importing all your problems back into your device from your backups. As to your question of bricking the device, NO. Virtually no chance of that happening as you can always reload using Blackberry Link and/or an autoloader. So to sum up, BOTH the reset and the security wipe are DESTRUCTIVE and in essence are the same thing, but for some reason the security wipe tends to "bog down" during its process quite often. Do the restore to factory via BL. Much quicker and easier IMHO.
    12-06-15 12:50 PM

A security wipe or factory reset is just that. It wipes all user information to factory settings.

OS reload is what it says it is. A reload of the OS. This not only clears out the user information, but it also re writes the OS back into the phone.
    OS reload will fix issues in the phone when a operation isn't working correctly.
    Where a factory reset won't.
    12-06-15 03:06 PM
    So to be clear to do OS reload I do what exactly ?
    12-06-15 04:20 PM
    So to be clear to do OS reload I do what exactly ?
    Hook up to your computer.
    Open BlackBerry Link
    In the upper right corner there's the word preference.
    Click that.
    And in the new window that shows up pull see an option for reload

Also make sure your computer is hooked up to internet other than the passport.

Also do a complete backup before doing the reload.
    12-06-15 04:51 PM
    OK ...so I tried the reload but the device just kept rebooting itself ...right now a security wipe is at 80% and when finished I would like to try a sachesi install ...what is the most stable recent one to pick ?? I trust this choice would totally replace the OS just like a reload via link ...is that correct or not? I spent the whole day on this & I want a nice fresh device to rebuild with what I want... thanks to all...
    12-06-15 06:58 PM
    Did you GUEST ensure your card is NOT encrypted before the wipe?! Why doesn't anyone mention this FIRST before instructing about wipe reloading an OS and such.

1. Check if device & media card are encrypted if the latter Decrypt first before anything else!

Then go forth.

вιaсĸвεггч� Z30 via CB10 (Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639) ‎Bell Mobility on BES12
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-06-15 07:41 PM
    I'd be surprised if his cards encrypted.
    12-06-15 07:43 PM
    I never established any encryption and I assume it is not default enabled. I disabled BB protect before this ...hours are passing and it's at 88% wipe... I assume it will proceed to the end ...then what would be the best choice to proceed? Restore or Sachesi? If the latter, what version?
    12-06-15 08:09 PM
    Couldn't tell you which to restore to. I've only stayed stock.
    12-06-15 08:36 PM
    Where do you the downloaded attachments get saved

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 10:12 PM
    Ok.
    Thread has been cleaned of personal / engaging / off topic posts.

You probably noticed I'm not kind to distribute infractions.
    Yet, some of you really need to chill out FAST.

Next blink on my radar will make my hammer hit.
    And it doesn't know mercy once swingin'
    No more soft warnings. I'm out of stock.

[WARN]Personal Attacks or Insults to Members
    Constructive discussions, debates, and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to criticize or insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If you are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic, you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.[/WARN]
    12-07-15 03:59 AM
    I guess I must have missed something ...hate abounds.

I did security wipe and completed ~90% in around 2h and then sat all night and in the AM was at 97% & didn't budge thereafter... up/downVOL gave BlackBerry Smartphone support - United States & reload proceeded in around 1/2h via link. I did a full backup. Can I cherry-pick what to restore or what? Also, someone said to limit the email & account sync to 15 days ...would that be in the phone or in the account's own space?

Don't hate... there's already enough of that around the world, eh?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-07-15 09:58 AM
    I guess I must have missed something ...hate abounds.

I did security wipe and completed ~90% in around 2h and then sat all night and in the AM was at 97% & didn't budge thereafter... up/downVOL gave BlackBerry Smartphone support - United States & reload proceeded in around 1/2h via link. I did a full backup. Can I cherry-pick what to restore or what? Also, someone said to limit the email & account sync to 15 days ...would that be in the phone or in the account's own space?

Don't hate... there's already enough of that around the world, eh?
    I hate to say I told you so............but......... -- You can cherry pick what you want to restore but if you read my previous post, you risk restoring crap back onto your device and ending up with what you started with. Anyway, choose wisely what you restore and good luck---there is no hate from me.
    12-07-15 10:07 AM
37 12