02-26-17 03:47 PM
52 123
tools
    Hate the Priv!!!! The DEED is DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAAAAYYY! I'm a passport owner! Thank you everyone! Ya'll are awesome! Expect the questions to come! It's been years, and I'm excited to get back to BB, and start using this baby! Even if it's just a year or two, I'll enjoy my time! :-* Thanks!!!
    Congratulations on the Passport, I hope you enjoy it. You're new to BB10 and coming from iPhone. Here's some personal recommendations to get you started:

Native apps are always better than sideloaded Android Apps. Here's some I use (some are paid apps):

Crackberry (FREE) - Self explanatory
    Browsie Browser (PAID) - Better than native browser, you can change the useragent (Chrome, Safari, etc), and has ad blocking
    Reddit In Motion - Cool native Reddit app.
    Navfree (FREE) - Offline navigation (download the maps on WIFI, hah)
    PowerTools (PAID) - Handy Utility with call/msg blocking, geofencing, etc.
    Neutron Music Player (PAID) - Great music player
    BlackBerry Travel (FREE) - Worldmate, but everything free and BlackBerry branded
    Device Switch (FREE, Media Mushroom) - Download for iPhone from the Apple Store, and BlackBerry World on Passport. Moves contacts, etc

You can install Google Play Store for Android apps to help fill any (well, most) gaps as well using Cobalt's method. It's no longer being updated apparently but works for now. Here's the thread to get you started: https://cobalt232.github.io/playstore/

In addition to being able to download Android apps, if you find one doesn't work, you can try using his patcher. Google Maps requires patching, if I recall correctly. But if you can find a native version, take that first (unless it sucks) as it's probably going to work faster, and not drain battery as much as sideloading. Anyway, here's a couple of Android replacements I used (BB10 version not available or not great)

Google Maps (Requires patching)
    Moon Reader + (FREE and PAID) - iBooks on steroids
    Facebook Lite - Might have to take the XDA route on this one, not Google Play Store. Barely used it, but a nice LIGHTWEIGHT FB client when I did. Alternatively, you can load Facebook in the browser.
    VLC Player - for videos, supports just about anything you can throw at it.

Finally, now that you have a PKB, familiarize yourself with the shortcuts. This is a list of Classic shortcuts so I don't think they'll all work? Anyway, the biggie to get you started is in the Browser: On a web page hit P for BACK, N for FORWARD, SPACEBAR to SCROLL down a page, T to go to the TOP of a page and B to go to the BOTTOM of a page.

The definitive listing of BlackBerry Classic keyboard shortcuts | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog
    Last edited by Reaney; 09-23-16 at 07:12 PM.
    09-23-16 06:29 PM
    5 Years is pushing it. I would say it will be good for 3 yrs. Or just get a priv now.
    You are a bit too late to support might have made a difference 3 yrs ago.
    09-23-16 06:52 PM
    BB10 OS will still have apps and the supports required. Except for the ones that don't. Whatsapp is among which, after the end of 2016. So if you think you cannot live without it, perhaps BB10 is not for you.

BBOS (or legacy devices) is another matter entirely. They are not BB10.
    It'll work perfectly till it breaks! iPhone to BB10 isnt a step down. It's a long painful fall in the wrong direction.
    09-23-16 06:53 PM
    It'll work perfectly till it breaks! iPhone to BB10 isnt a step down. It's a long painful fall in the wrong direction.
    OP already got the Passport, fyi, so congrats on raining on his/her parade. But hey, sometimes it's more important to get in that zinger just in case John Chen or a BlackBerry employee is reading this thread. smh
    ratfinkstooley and MBrettH like this.
    09-23-16 07:07 PM
    Having to heft around two devices is the exact opposite of productive.
    Not so, Conite. All the critical productive apps are already on the BB10. The rest are entertainment, games and misc apps on the android device. I have no problem leaving that at home if I have to.
    MBrettH likes this.
    09-23-16 08:24 PM
    I've been with BlackBerry for 10+ years and currently have a z30. I love it and would consider a short term run with the Passport but for you coming from iOS would pass on it.
    The BB10 ecosystem is dead. There are rarely any app updates and BlackBerry has all but officially abandoned it. Sure it will run fine but you'll be frustrated by what you will miss (in apps) from what you had with iOS.
    If you want to switch to BlackBerry I'd recommend the Priv, DTEK50 or waiting for the rumoured DTEK60 phones that all run Android with the BlackBerry productivity suite on top.
    My next phone will probably be a BlackBerry but it doubtfully be a BB10 phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 08:40 PM
    Hate the Priv!!!! The DEED is DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAAAAYYY! I'm a passport owner! Thank you everyone! Ya'll are awesome! Expect the questions to come! It's been years, and I'm excited to get back to BB, and start using this baby! Even if it's just a year or two, I'll enjoy my time! :-* Thanks!!!
    You won't regret it! Welcome to the club!

Posted via CB10
    MBrettH likes this.
    09-23-16 09:43 PM
    Congratulations on the Passport, I hope you enjoy it. You're new to BB10 and coming from iPhone. Here's some personal recommendations to get you started:

Native apps are always better than sideloaded Android Apps. Here's some I use (some are paid apps):

Browsie Browser (PAID) - Better than native browser, you can change the useragent (Chrome, Safari, etc), and has ad blocking
    BlackBerry Travel (FREE) - Worldmate, but everything free and BlackBerry branded
    Device Switch (FREE, Media Mushroom) - Download for iPhone from the Apple Store, and BlackBerry World on Passport. Moves contacts, etc

You can install Google Play Store for Android apps to help fill any (well, most) gaps as well using Cobalt's method. It's no longer being updated apparently but works for now. Here's the thread to get you started: https://cobalt232.github.io/playstore/

In addition to being able to download Android apps, if you find one doesn't work, you can try using his patcher. Google Maps requires patching, if I recall correctly. But if you can find a native version, take that first (unless it sucks) as it's probably going to work faster, and not drain battery as much as sideloading. Anyway, here's a couple of Android replacements I used (BB10 version not available or not great)

Facebook Lite - Might have to take the XDA route on this one, not Google Play Store. Barely used it, but a nice LIGHTWEIGHT FB client when I did. Alternatively, you can load Facebook in the browser.

Finally, now that you have a PKB, familiarize yourself with the shortcuts. This is a list of Classic shortcuts so I don't think they'll all work? Anyway, the biggie to get you started is in the Browser: On a web page hit P for BACK, N for FORWARD, SPACEBAR to SCROLL down a page, T to go to the TOP of a page and B to go to the BOTTOM of a page.

The definitive listing of BlackBerry Classic keyboard shortcuts | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog
    Now that's how you welcome someone! Nicely done, Reaney!

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 09:45 PM
    Now that's how you welcome someone! Nicely done, Reaney!

Posted via CB10
    Hey, thanks. I always try to bear in mind that just because I've seen it before, doesn't mean it isn't new and exciting to someone else.
    09-23-16 09:49 PM
    Following on from what has been said, you must decide what you need and what solves your needs. For me, I am mostly an email, BBM, and SMS person, with a few subscriptions such as Bloomberg, FT, etc. So, the Q is perfect for me: compact, changeable battery, keyboard, etc.

If you are similar to me, then BB10 is great. While I think the Q is best, I purchased a PPSE, new in unopened box, in HK for about USD275 to have on the shelf in case curiosity gets the better of me.
    09-24-16 05:16 AM
    It's a shame if they sell bb10 hardware when they doesn't support it. It's like selling android 4.3 device like new for a hardcore price.

Maybe get myself a spare passport when the price is around 200 but I also think to say goodby to the brand. Maybe the new pixel with android 7. I'm in doubt but still like bb10 more then Android.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 06:28 AM
    Not so, Conite. All the critical productive apps are already on the BB10. The rest are entertainment, games and misc apps on the android device. I have no problem leaving that at home if I have to.
    I read this a lot. Exactly what critical productive apps does BB have that the other two leading OS's don't have? They function as a phone, a device for which you can get email and they all text. What are these super important apps? If they are so great and only BB has them why is BB circling the drain.
    09-25-16 04:11 PM
    One's definition of productive apps differ from another. Just saying. Get what works for your needs.

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 Phone
    09-25-16 04:50 PM

Owned my passport for a year and a half, never heard of browsie browser. I'm amazed. Thank you!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    MBrettH and kristofszucs like this.
    09-25-16 07:29 PM
    Not sure what has changed for all the people who used to love BB10 but now warn people away??
    Has the phone downgraded itself and stopped doing what you loved when you first got it??
    Most of the things I have done or will do with my passport are done with naitive BlackBerry aps. Some of the stuff I need android apks for work fine
    I don't worry that runtime won't support Pokmon go or that fabulous new race car game. That is not what I bought a passport for

Posted via CB10
    MBrettH likes this.
    09-26-16 09:28 AM
    I own a 2003 Honda. Great car but I wouldn't recommend anyone buying one now because it's out of date. When it dies I'll probably pick up another Honda but it won't be a 2003 model.
    That's why I wouldn't recommend anyone buying a BB10 now even though I own one and love the phone. I won't be replacing it with a BB10 phone when it dies or when I decide to replace it either though I'll probably stick with BlackBerry (if I can).

Posted via CB10
    MBrettH likes this.
    09-26-16 11:58 AM
    Not sure what has changed for all the people who used to love BB10 but now warn people away??
    Has the phone downgraded itself and stopped doing what you loved when you first got it??
    Most of the things I have done or will do with my passport are done with naitive BlackBerry aps. Some of the stuff I need android apks for work fine
    I don't worry that runtime won't support Pokmon go or that fabulous new race car game. That is not what I bought a passport for

Posted via CB10
    The biggest obstacle to recommending the Passport now is the uncertainty over how long the Android compatibility will last, especially for apps that rely on Google Play Services as provided by Cobalt. Apparently he can't update the Play Store any more so inevitably that day will come where it will cease to function.

The other issue is the browser functionality, though I think using Browsie Browser (and changing the useragent to Chrome) makes that less of a concern than Android compatibility.

Otherwise, it's a great device. I still love the form factor, and wish it could make the jump over to Android. But since 1:1 ratio is verboten, the best I can hope for is a taller Passport that still pays homage to "Working Wide".
    MBrettH likes this.
    09-26-16 03:51 PM
    Well said

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 05:25 PM
    The biggest obstacle to recommending the Passport now is the uncertainty over how long the Android compatibility will last, especially for apps that rely on Google Play Services as provided by Cobalt. Apparently he can't update the Play Store any more so inevitably that day will come where it will cease to function.

The other issue is the browser functionality, though I think using Browsie Browser (and changing the useragent to Chrome) makes that less of a concern than Android compatibility.

Otherwise, it's a great device. I still love the form factor, and wish it could make the jump over to Android. But since 1:1 ratio is verboten, the best I can hope for is a taller Passport that still pays homage to "Working Wide".
    wow, so play store will be someday not exist? I mean the cobalt version?
    01-23-17 03:04 PM
    I have a Blackberry Z30 running BB10. My wife has Samsung Galaxy, Android, my daughters have iphones, IOS and my phone outperforms them both. The quality of my operating system looks, feels and runs so much more professional than both their phones. When time comes, I will get a Passport even today in January 2017 because I love the system.
    audifox2016 and WiseEyes like this.
    01-23-17 06:59 PM
    I have also switched from an iPhone to BlackBerry Passport and Im really enjoy the os as well as the device. There's only one thing I missed from my iPhone is my clash of clan haha; in general, bbos is great and it wont stop in the next couple of years for sure.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 09:10 PM
    I have also switched from an iPhone to BlackBerry Passport and Im really enjoy the os as well as the device. There's only one thing I missed from my iPhone is my clash of clan haha; in general, bbos is great and it wont stop in the next couple of years for sure.

Posted via CB10
    well technically its already stopped...
    01-23-17 09:21 PM
    Any android ain't gonna cut it. At least, not for me.
    Why not Palm OS

Android? No thanks. Just give me BB10 and CP/M and I'm a happy man.
    01-23-17 09:30 PM
    BB10 Os for me until my new Passport SEs die..

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 10:18 PM
    Potential to get hacked? That's for sure 10 times.

Posted via CB10
    No BlackBerry device has been hacked until now including BlackBerry android devices . Thats for sure 10 times more added security. Android devices for sure are more vulnerable to threads due to poor system security that they have and its not compared to BlackBerry 10 os but one thing is for sure: they have heavily secured their android devices and no one has been able to hack their android devices until now. And I doubt they could hack such a hardened software.
    01-23-17 10:20 PM
52 123