I switched over a week ago and I am generally in love with the Passport but two things are making me second guess my decision.

1.) The calendar bug. I am syncing against Google calendar and all my entries are on the wrong time like they are on another time zone. Googling this issue I found forum entries from 2013 that explain the same issue on the Z30. How can BlackBerry 10 that is made for Business Users still contain a bug that is so huge? Why are people not upset about this?

2.) If the rumors are true and Lenovo buys BlackBerry then there would be no further development of BlackBerry 10 making my decision to switch a bad one.

Am I wrong on this?

Posted via CB10
    1) I use Google calendar but I don't have the issue that you are referring to. I did have some technical glitch with some sensors but a hard restart fixed the issue. Like many others said in this thread, the fix already exists. I don't think this issue alone be a major reason for you to switch back.

2) Again, this is speculative. Levono tried the same move a year ago but didn't go through due to regulatory concerns. I am sure the same concern exists today.

I think two reasons you have listed is not seem significant enough to consider switching. However that's my opinion and you are entitled to your own opinion.

Posted via CB10
    ROROSLIM likes this.
    10-21-14 09:55 PM
    Which phone you prefer is your personal preference. You should go with whatever you like better and suits your needs.

That being said, don't make your decision based on the Lenovo rumors. They are just rumors. Furthermore, the Canadian government will never allow the sale of a telecom to mainland China.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    10-21-14 10:25 PM
    I have both at the moment. Only $15 per month to add a phone line to my att family plan. I have had the passport since Friday. Still trying to figure out how to hold the passport while typing. I havent drunk the Kool aid yet but I can see the glass....

Posted via CB10
    The first day or two I also struggled with a comfortable grip. This is the best method I found.

Hold it with your first three (index, middle, and ring) fingers of each hand behind the device, both pinkies under the device holding it up (mine end up under the V and B keys), and both thumbs above it ready to type.

That is the most comfortable and easiest to type hold I have found - firm grip, doesn't feel top heavy, can touch type blazing fast, and I have never dropped it.
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-21-14 11:37 PM
    I agree with one of the above posters to the T!

I have an iPhone 6 128gb so it was also 850$ or so whatever the price is, regardless, i want my hands on the passport! its gorgeous, looks firm, professional and beautiful.

Regarding the Lenovo speculation, I personally (I am a financial advisor) I can't rationalize this for one reason, Lenovo acquired IBMs computer business last year, and who partnered with IBM? apple.

considering blackberry has the obvious advantage over IBM on the security aspect, what would be the value Lenovo would bring here? What can they supply us blackberry users that Chen and the crew cannot.

Apple acquiring blackberry would be more entertaining, if this global partnership did not come to fruition and take that off the table. also , the other acquisition target would be google which i hope does to happen because i am not a fan of android and do not want them to ruin the company

However, keep in mind Chen's history, he's known for flipping companies. "I am not looking to sell the company" is simple psychology of sales, luring prospects to have what they can't. I do think blackberry will be purchased and at a nice premium (kicking myself i sold at 11.67 a few months back)

I guess time will tell! The iPhone is a great device though, but still, for me anyway it lacks the true multitasking (cannot listen to audio books on youtube while performing other tasks) Very frustrating little things that bug me. However theres pros and cons to both devices. blackberry - OS, professional feel and look, productivity, battery life, but that is pretty much it. Apple - huge ecosystem, has become the standard device (for commercials, movies, etc), battery life is greatly improved but still subpar compared to blackberry, integration through all my apple devices (macbook, apple tv, iPad) and i hat to say it, but 2 big things are carrier support as well as developer support. Im not a big app guy, but basic banking apps just baffle me that don't exist on blackberry. The fact that apple TELLS carriers what their phones will do and how they will do it, and blackberry has to ask permission for every little thing like a kid asking fora candy bar at the checkout line.

Love blackberry, like iPhone. the dilemma ... the dilemma..
    retomex and jakie55 like this.
    10-21-14 11:46 PM
    I assure you Lenova plans to buy Blackberry is never going to happen. Even if Blackberry shareholders approve, the Canadian government won't let it happen. Canada have accused China for spying and unauthorized hacking into their government database for a long time. Both sides have thrown slaps at each others and this is case I've seen recently.

Canadian couple detained in China 'frustrated and confused,' son says | CTV News

USA is not the only country having to deal with Chinese spies.
    10-22-14 12:14 AM
    I can appreciate that moving from one OS to another can be a learning curve! I personally have worked with BlackBerry and Android, and so I enjoy the hands on approach to "mucking about" with the phone. My wife has an iphone 5c, and it drove me crazy adding two ring tones to her phone. To me it was totally counter-productive, as I was not used to the OS, and the itunes approach. I suspect that whichever device you settle on, you will be happy with the device, as they are both top notch communication devices....just different approaches.
    10-22-14 02:10 AM
    Thank you all for the great replies. The time zones are set correctly on both Google Calendar and on my Passport but the problem does persist. The only fix i found was as some have mentioned; changing the timezone to a different one than you set and setting back to the correct one. But this needs to happen every time the device reboots. Which is annoying especially since I have seen my Blackberry do random Reboots.

As on the issue of Lenovo and BlackBerry. As already mentioned by banjany, John Chen did the same thing with Sybase.
    Sybase was in a similiar position as BlackBerry is in today. Maybe Lenovo just buys the Hardware division of BlackBerry, turning BlackBerry into a service only company. This the canadian government cannot stop.
    10-22-14 02:43 AM
    Thank you all for the great replies. The time zones are set correctly on both Google Calendar and on my Passport but the problem does persist. The only fix i found was as some have mentioned; changing the timezone to a different one than you set and setting back to the correct one. But this needs to happen every time the device reboots. Which is annoying especially since I have seen my Blackberry do random Reboots.

As on the issue of Lenovo and BlackBerry. As already mentioned by banjany, John Chen did the same thing with Sybase.
    Sybase was in a similiar position as BlackBerry is in today. Maybe Lenovo just buys the Hardware division of BlackBerry, turning BlackBerry into a service only company. This the canadian government cannot stop.
    Why would they buy BlackBerry just for their hardware division? They already have a pretty good hardware division, all their devices are top notch. Plus, they recently acquired Motorola from Google.

If Lenovo really plans to buy BlackBerry, it's because of their software, QNX in particular. They probably don't want to depend on Android.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster and Bluenoser63 like this.
    10-22-14 03:24 AM
    Can i just download and update the OS to 10.3.1.632 with Sachesi? If I don't like it or have an issue can I downgrade again? Anything to consider when doing the upgrade?
    10-22-14 03:30 AM
    Puck - thanks for the phone holding advice. Seems better with your approach

Many thanks!

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 03:42 AM
    I made the leap from Note 3 to Passport. No regret, very happy with my Passport. Have everything I want.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    10-22-14 03:54 AM
    You can also get iCloud calendar, email, and contacts, if you want.

Have you tried removing the Google calendar for the Accounts section in Settings and then readding it? A hard reset? Hold both volume up and down until the blue loading squircle shows.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 04:17 AM
    I have been on gMail for several years and have never had a calendar syncing issues. I have had the duplicate contacts issue pop up again when I put the 10.3.1 leak on my z30.

As far as the passport goes, I have bought two of them and have shown them to two of my important clients who played with the device and then proceeded to write me a check and told me to buy another one because they where keeping mine, lol.

I have another one on order, but found its easier to type on a touchscreen keyboard versus a physical one because of doing repetitive task for 30 years, my finders and thumbs get sore form pressing the physical keys.

Still going to get another passport and hoping some medicine will help with the hands. Until then, I am back on my z30 with the 10.3.1 leak.
    10-22-14 04:26 AM
    If you have an iPad and a Passport you would have the best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    This is what I have in mind :-)
    10-22-14 04:51 AM
    Have you tried to changed the setting from Google Calendar and not the one in Blackberry Passport? Like syncing with the passport rather the Google calendar. This can be favorable if you are always on the go and not relying calendar events through desktop or tablets
    10-22-14 05:00 AM
    This is what I have in mind :-)
    Same

Blackberry Blend is the real champ here and works perfectly with my ipad mini and my pc. I've had iphones since the iphone 4, ipad and ipad mini - really don't like imacs or itunes. Still getting use to the Blackberry Passport but can't keep it out of my hands for more then 30 minutes !
    10-22-14 05:13 AM
    I recall having some problem with my gmail calendar with my old BB device. I was on a business trip and the time zone change seemed to played some tricks on me. I am not sure how I fixed it but I think like others said, try changing time zone on the google side is worth trying. Also, did you try hard reset? (Holding the power button down until you see a red red light)

As on the issue of Lenovo and BlackBerry. As already mentioned by banjany, John Chen did the same thing with Sybase. Sybase was in a similiar position as BlackBerry is in today. Maybe Lenovo just buys the Hardware division of BlackBerry, turning BlackBerry into a service only company. This the canadian government cannot stop.
    This also doesn't makes sense to me. But I can be completely wrong here. As far as BB's enterprise business go, they are the only company that I know of that has true end to end mobile enterprise solutions. (Handheld Device --> Managing Software --> Server) Yes, BES 10, and upcoming BES 12 will probably work on all major mobile platforms, but the BES has BB specific features (such as BB Balance, and BBM Protected). Maybe it is Chen's big vision to incorporate all of these specific BB features into the BES 12 in November. But until that is for a certain, I can't see BB selling off handheld division.
    10-22-14 07:41 AM
    I switched over a week ago and I am generally in love with the Passport but two things are making me second guess my decision.

1.) The calendar bug. I am syncing against Google calendar and all my entries are on the wrong time like they are on another time zone. Googling this issue I found forum entries from 2013 that explain the same issue on the Z30. How can BlackBerry 10 that is made for Business Users still contain a bug that is so huge? Why are people not upset about this?

2.) If the rumors are true and Lenovo buys BlackBerry then there would be no further development of BlackBerry 10 making my decision to switch a bad one.

Am I wrong on this?

Posted via CB10
    This is why that stupid blog post shouldn't have been posted. The blogger "John Callaham" is an iPhone user and he was just looking for clicks, he only posts crap on CrackBerry. Lenovo deal with NEVER happen because the Canadian Government won't let them.

Coming from an iPhone which is 10x easier to sync stuff with. There are ways on BB10 which have already been listed.
    10-22-14 04:16 PM
    The calendar issue is definitely there for some devices and some users, but it's not clear what the cause is. I had the same 10.3.0.1418 and calendars on my Passport and Q10, but only my Q10 had the calendar bug. It does appear that 10.3.1 will end up fixing this issue, as it appears to be absent from any of the leaks so far. If only 10.3.1.938 were available for the Passport at the moment...
    10-22-14 04:28 PM
    Good desktop software > iTunes >>>>> Link
    Perhaps, but at least I'm not locked into Link for my media. And Link runs better on my machines than iTunes ever did. TBH, Link is better now than when it started.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 09:18 PM
    Curious, what is Link. Not that I want to use that horrible itunes program.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 04:29 AM
    Can i just download and update the OS to 10.3.1.632 with Sachesi? If I don't like it or have an issue can I downgrade again? Anything to consider when doing the upgrade?
    FWIW: Don't go 10.3.1 w/ passport.
    10-23-14 05:00 AM
    I did the same switch and im not regretting it at all.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 05:03 AM
    Fast & dirty:

Lenovo :

Place your bets.
    Here's mine FWIW : won't happen, "Pump and dump" perfect sample. 5/1
    Discl: this is not an advice to trade BBRY in any maneer.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-24-14 at 04:23 PM.
    10-23-14 05:05 AM
    I just bought the IPhone 6 Plus... It is quite a nice phone.. I won't go into a review, but lets just say it is a great phone. I have had almost every Blackberry made in the last 10 years and have been trying to find a Blackberry to go back to. My entire work and home life is Apple... Ipads, MacBook AIrs, Iphones, Imacs..... everything and having the iPhone just fits into my life very nicely...

But I am absolutely INFATUATED with the Passport.... I have read every review and I think it is amazing. I now have spent $800 on a IPhone 6 plus less than 2 weeks ago... and I am already looking to dump it for the Passport....I ordered the Passport from Amazon for $599 and it is back ordered and I will just have to wait my turn...I already have a guy at work who is willing to pay me the $800 I spent on the phone so financially I am covered.... Should I make the leap???? The IPhone does everything I need, but the Passport looks incredible..... I never thought about a possible Lenovo buyout?? I don't think that should play a role in my decision right now... I am so torn!!! I would hate to give up the IPhone and be disappointed in the Passport..... ahhhh..... such problems!!!!!
    First World Problems lol. Get the passport, keep both phones for a week, sell the one you don't want. The good thing right now is that you won't lose money on either handset.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    anon(5061193) and chinmay007 like this.
    10-23-14 06:03 AM
71 123