Hello CB Nation

I've got a Z30 and I'm thinking of switching to the Passport. I love the Z30 but I've read great reviews of the PP. A couple of weeks ago I actually gave a Samsung S5 a test drive for a few days but I really disliked it. So I returned it. I don't think anything compares to 10.3 and the BlackBerry 10 ecosystem.

I was wondering if people out there have made the switch from the Z30 to the PP and their thoughts.

Here are some questions that I have:
    1. How long did it take you to get used to the keyboard? I loved the pkb on my 9900. I also like the vkb on the Z30. I know that one handed typing is a no-go, but that doesn't matter too much to me.

2. Does the size prevent a problem. I like to keep my Z30 in my pocket (protected of course with a case). How do you carry your PP?

3. I don't game, but I do watch the odd video clip on my Z30. How is it for watching a 2 minute clip? I watch Netflix via my Z30 or older Z10 via the HDMI cord on my TV.

4. How about for viewing websites? I find on the Z30 I often have to switch it to landscape to view sites properly. Do you have to zoom in to websites or can you view/read them as they appear in the browser?

I appreciate any feedback

Thanks.

Posted via CB 10 on my Z30.
    07-14-15 01:25 PM
    I did this: Q10>Z30>Passport>Classic

And back to the Passport!! I love the robustness,battery life,and size of the Passport. It works better for my needs.

 Passport SQW100-1 / leak 10.3.2.2204 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    07-14-15 01:36 PM
    Never felt comfortable with the Passport.

Sticking with my Z30 for now.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    07-14-15 01:37 PM
    Hello CB Nation

I've got a Z30 and I'm thinking of switching to the Passport. I love the Z30 but I've read great reviews of the PP. A couple of weeks ago I actually gave a Samsung S5 a test drive for a few days but I really disliked it. So I returned it. I don't think anything compares to 10.3 and the BlackBerry 10 ecosystem.

I was wondering if people out there have made the switch from the Z30 to the PP and their thoughts.

1. How long did it take you to get used to the keyboard? I loved the pkb on my 9900. I also like the vkb on the Z30. I know that one handed typing is a no-go, but that doesn't matter too much to me.

2. Does the size prevent a problem. I like to keep my Z30 in my pocket (protected of course with a case). How do you carry your PP?

3. I don't game, but I do watch the odd video clip on my Z30. How is it for watching a 2 minute clip? I watch Netflix via my Z30 or older Z10 via the HDMI cord on my TV.

4. How about for viewing websites? I find on the Z30 I often have to switch it to landscape to view sites properly. Do you have to zoom in to websites or can you view/read them as they appear in the browser?

Thanks.

1) the three row capacitive keyboard is very useful. You can scroll just by swiping on the keyboard. It took me all about a day or so to know where keys are positioned. I have larger hands but for some people you may not hit the space bar correctly at first due to the width.
    2)I carry my passport with a gel case and side holster.Tetded and PDAIR are two great companies that sell a broad range of high quality cases for the passport.
    3)excellent screen size for watching motion clips due to screen quality.
    4)yes websites automatically will be sized correctly as the stock browser is really good for that but there is n flash as its no longer supported but I use Zeus browser for flash

 Passport SQW100-1 / leak 10.3.2.2204 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    07-14-15 01:44 PM
    Hello CB Nation

Thanks.

1. The suggested time for getting used to the keyboard is a week, took me about 3 days so it varies per person.

2. The size didnt at first, but I wear slim fit jeans and I put my phone in the front pocket screen against my thigh and top of the phone facing down. Ive only had the phone for 2 months and it has started to bend. So I would suggest taking the phone out of your pocket before you sit down.

3. I haven't tried watching it through the hdmi cord, but its not too bothersome watching it on the phone for a short period of time.

4. Personally, for viewing websites I find it much better coming from a Z10. You can leave it in desktop mode and zoom in on the part you want to read (some mobile sites aren't very friendly).

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 01:47 PM
    I just did the full time switch last week. Truth be told, the sharp corner passport didn't work for me... so I got an AT&T version and it's golden.

The keyboard takes some getting used to. I use a 9900 for work, and the passport for play and I still sometimes look for the shift and symbol buttons, but overall, it takes some getting used to. I'm not at the level of complete eyes closed proficiency yet, but it won't be long before I get there. First day or two are like WHOA!

Size is fine. Make no mistake, it's big, but it's not obscene.

Watching videos is nice as the screen resolution is MUCH better than the z30.

Since the 1440x1440 fits a lot, I do find myself resizing to better focus my attention and be able to see the font sizes.
    My z30 just crapped out and it looks like there's no going back for me anyway, but it's real easy to get used to the wonderful battery life, the excellent screen and having a pkb.

YMMV...but I'd say go for it.

Hello CB Nation

Thanks.

07-14-15 02:54 PM
    I did the z30 to the Passport change. It took a couple of weeks to get to the Passport. I found pressing buttons really tiring at first. Now that I'm used to my Passport, I find my Z30 is a step down in quality and performance. The Passport blows it away. Plus, the Passport has more of a $$$ feel to it. The only thing I miss is the Z30's speakers.

Ps, as per the size of the Passport; I prefer short and square to long and skinny and heavy (Z30)

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 03:24 PM
    Hello CB Nation

Thanks.

I did exactly the same move that you plan!
    1/ it took me a week to be perfectly adapted again to PKB and about two weeks to write as fast with my Z30.
    One handed typing is not possible!
    2/no problem, I used both devices in cases, still keep the passport in my pocket. I suggest a flip top case instead of a punch case to avoid extra bulk on the passport which is already very wide.
    3/no problem with it but is true that it was more pleasure to watch videos in the landscape mode of my Z30
    4/ here the passport is way better for viewing web pages!

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    07-14-15 03:29 PM
    Z10, Passport, Classic back to Passport. Love it!! Best built phone I have ever owned. Had a couple Samsung's sprinkled in there as well as an iPhone 6. Will never go back. This thing is a beast!!

Posted via Passport - 10.3.2.2339
    07-14-15 07:06 PM
    1) a week or two
    2) my pocket...pants, shorts, dress shirt, suit
    3) looks good. No issues with it.
    4) websites are great. The width helps a lot.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.2.2339 / Telus
    07-14-15 07:06 PM
    I went from a Z30 to the PP last fall. I still love the 30 and could easily just use it. There are a couple of things about the PP however that I find so useful that I keep going back to it.

It was the first time I'd used a physical keyboard, and while it did take a while to get used to it, once I did I find virtual ones really clumsy and slow. You do have to use both hands with it but it's so easy to use and so precise, in conjunction with the word prediction, that you can type much faster than with a virtual one. I can use the PP for all emails and texts and never take my tablet or laptop with me anymore. Now I know why texts I get from people with iphones and androids use so many abbreviations and have so many spelling mistakes! For example, I'd never write anything this long if I was using anything but a PP.

Another feature of the PP I notice when I use my 30 or other phone, is the swipe to scroll on the keyboard. It's really great to to scroll down web pages without rubbing your finger on the screen. The screen stays clean much longer and you don't accidently click on the countless links strategically placed along the edges of all the web pages designed to catch you.

The screen is beautiful, so much brightness that I usually keep the setting at 1/3 or so. Very hard to go back to a smaller screen. Fits the in almost all shirt and jacket pockets.

The only thing I would change about the PP is it's thickness. It's very thin and the stainless steel sides, along with the slight curvature of the back, make it tricky to pick up off a table when it's lying on it's face, and makes it feel very slippery in the hand. You can always put a case on it, and I often do, but it's so beautifully designed it's a shame to cover it.

Hope these insights help.
    07-14-15 08:15 PM