Swap ur iPhone for BlackBerry passport offer from blackberry!-img_20141125_190302.png
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by GiantSchnauzer; 11-25-14 at 09:30 AM.
    11-25-14 09:05 AM
    11-25-14 09:07 AM
    I have passport, I need to trade up my itoy for classic.
    11-25-14 09:11 AM
    My bad! , which they had it outside us as well.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 09:30 AM
    I thought they said Passport was "not meant to be an iPhone killer" (John Chen's own words, or close to them).

Not that there's a problem with the trade-in program, but they should really be consistent about their message and marketing.
    11-25-14 10:26 AM
    I thought they said Passport was "not meant to be an iPhone killer" (John Chen's own words, or close to them).

Not that there's a problem with the trade-in program, but they should really be consistent about their message and marketing.
    My guess, this is focused on business. People stuck with the iphone, but want to get work done. It's not for the teenager, or soccer mom.

So, using that thought process, it doesn't contradict his "not a iphone killer" statement. But, they should open it up to all phone types if they want the nonsense I just wrote to make sense.
    Jiggy1971 likes this.
    11-25-14 11:07 AM

I don't think the "trade-up" program was launched with that intent to be honest.

Just simply to bring back ex-BB peeps who have gone with iPhones in the past few years.

I see enterprise people who in the last few years upgraded to an iPhone because the BlackBerry offerings at the time were not as desirable, peer pressure, etc.... and quite frankly, look "uncomfortable" with it.

It's like they ultimately don't really want all that fluff that their 14yr old daughter raves about, but felt it was the only reliable option at the time and had to settle. (just from my observation)

Also, people spent good coin to get that iPhone and if there is no good reason to change (ie $$$), then they would ride it out and stay with it until the next upgrade.

This Trade Up program gives the iPhone user incentive now to come back to BlackBerry now that the PassPort is on par (actually better), with that cool factor.
    Jiggy1971 and BBRYQ10 like this.
    11-25-14 11:14 AM

Really? You really should begin looking at the "big picture" rather than fussing on the minutiae.

I suspect that there won't be a stampede to cash in on this deal, but it's a great headline grabber.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    Jiggy1971 likes this.
    11-25-14 11:18 AM
    Yeah, but I thought that the Passport was going after an entirely different target user. Why would they even have an iPhone to trade in?
    11-25-14 11:23 AM
    I don't think the "trade-up" program was launched with that intent to be honest.

Just simply to bring back ex-BB peeps who have gone with iPhones in the past few years.

I see enterprise people who in the last few years upgraded to an iPhone because the BlackBerry offerings at the time were not as desirable, peer pressure, etc.... and quite frankly, look "uncomfortable" with it.

It's like they ultimately don't really want all that fluff that their 14yr old daughter raves about, but felt it was the only reliable option at the time and had to settle. (just from my observation)

Also, people spent good coin to get that iPhone and if there is no good reason to change (ie $$$), then they would ride it out and stay with it until the next upgrade.

This Trade Up program gives the iPhone user incentive now to come back to BlackBerry now that the PassPort is on par (actually better), with that cool factor.
    I don't think that either (wish it did though, right?). The point is, craft a holistic marketing strategy, rather than haphazardly coming up with discrete marketing program as situation may appear expeditious.
    11-25-14 11:26 AM
    There is a percentage of BlackBerry users who went to iPhone by default but have never really clicked with it.

This promo is for folks like me: the "not so crazy about iphone" people who are looking for a reason to come back.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 11:34 AM
    Really? You really should begin looking at the "big picture" rather than fussing on the minutiae.

I suspect that there won't be a stampede to cash in on this deal, but it's a great headline grabber.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    And that was my whole point, actually.

Yes, I understand this generates publicity, and in fact, where I saw this trade-in program first was at an iPhone discussion board of an online community of an Asian country (the Samsung Country, in case you wonder) that has long since forgotten Blackberry - refreshing to see any mention of Blackberry at all, and interesting to see people shocked reaction to the fact that Blackberry is still out there and making phones.

But if "noise marketing" is all you want, there are many other ways to do it.

The initial message sent was that Passport won't compete with iPhone, and now they seem to be taking iPhone head-on. Yes, there is a snowball's chance in hell that this program will "kill" iPhone and I don't think any marketing person at BB with a sane mine would think that either, but to a lot of people who see this will go thinking Passport is iPhone contender, rather than seeing it as what it really is, which is something different, intended for a different target audience.

If your argument is that the intended target segment of Passport would be informed well enough not to get the wrong impression, well, if they are already well informed, what's the point about the "big picture" headline grabbing, as you would put it? In fact, what's the point of any marketing at all? Everyone who should know about Passport already know about it, so why spend a single penny on marketing?

If generating "noise" is all that mattered, fine, but what really matters is what message is sent across through the noise generated. Once again, there are a lot of ways to generate noise, including the one that sends out more consistent message and may, notwithstanding the fact that it's intended to be a "noise", still contain some useful information.

This probably gets more laughter than respect, like when MS offered to take iPads toward the price of their Surface tablets. If it doesn't matter because the people who would laugh at this are not the target segment anyway, then what's the whole point about grabbing the headline? Weren't they hoping make at least some converts? Aren't the "power professionals", the intended target of Passport, wealthy and affluent people, leaders in business, law, healthcare, media etc that didn't need such great deals to get them to switch?
    In that connection, what scalemaster34 said in the thread "Only 3152 Passports to India, dismal jimmy" is interesting:

Only dismal if you compare it with other brands.... If BlackBerry had figured on selling 3,000 units in India up to this point, then they are ahead.

This is a "niche" device with limited appeal and is price well beyond the average India smartphone price point. This is about making money, not about marketshare.... that ship sailed.
    So, is BlackBerry content selling Passport to the people who are the core targets, those who would've gotten Passport anyway, and no one else?
    11-25-14 11:36 AM
    I don't think that either (wish it did though, right?). The point is, craft a holistic marketing strategy, rather than haphazardly coming up with discrete marketing program as situation may appear expeditious.
    I see what you mean, but I think you are over analyzing and your theory doesn't really apply to this scenario (the way I see it).

It's just a "promotion"..... that's it. A finite moment. Does not mean it replaces their marketing tactics for this phone altogether.

The global marketing of this product was (and is) about a targeted market. Now they are offering an "opportunity"/"promotion" for that targeted market.

Never to try and denounce the iPhone and its consumer position.

Personally, it didn't even cross my mind that this promotion was intended to be an "iPhone Killer".
    11-25-14 11:59 AM
    I see what you mean, but I think you are over analyzing and your theory doesn't really apply to this scenario (the way I see it).

It's just a "promotion"..... that's it. A finite moment. Does not mean it replaces their marketing tactics for this phone altogether.

The global marketing of this product was (and is) about a targeted market. Now they are offering an "opportunity"/"promotion" for that targeted market.

Never to try and denounce the iPhone and its consumer position.

Personally, it didn't even cross my mind that this promotion was intended to be an "iPhone Killer".
    Didn't over-analyze. The extent of my original comment was only:

The analysis came as a response to some of your comments about my post.

Also, I wasn't saying the objective of this promotion was to end iPhone once and for all.

All I was saying was that they could have a concerted marketing strategy. If you are gonna compete with iPhone (to any extent, be it as the potential iPhone killer or just as a Nth place follower to iPhone), be my guest, but be a bit more clear about what you are, especially since this program generates publicity for the group of people beyond the intended target audience of Passport, who probably don't know any better, as hpjrt kindly pointed out.
    11-25-14 12:06 PM
    I am not planning to downgrade
    11-25-14 05:25 PM
    Yeah, but I thought that the Passport was going after an entirely different target user. Why would they even have an iPhone to trade in?
    Because PP is not selling
    11-25-14 05:27 PM

Wow, this is business and not grade 5 math, isn't it?

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 07:26 PM
    I think the trade in program is a way for people to at the very least give the Passport a chance. Without the trade in program, some iphone users would not be willing to even try out the Passport.
    11-25-14 07:53 PM
    If you're on an iPhone 4S (which is old now), BlackBerry is essentially offering you $300 to toss it and go with a Passport.

Not sure what they are going for on eBay, but it might be worth buying one to flip to BlackBerry.

BlackBerry can't do anything right to some people. I think this is a good idea, and even if it doesn't sell a ton of Passports, it'll still bring some people back from iPhones.

The only way BlackBerry will gain any market share back is by going one user at a time. If a few people, especially in business take them up on this, their device will be shown off to others and knowledge of the Passport's capabilities will be spread.

It seems like some people just over analyze everything.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 08:58 PM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    There is a percentage of BlackBerry users who went to iPhone by default but have never really clicked with it.

This promo is for folks like me: the "not so crazy about iphone" people who are looking for a reason to come back.

Posted via CB10
    This!... and many who are fed up or bored and just need a reason to switch....

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 09:05 PM
    I am not planning to downgrade
    Looks like you already hit rock bottom, so there is no room to sink any further.
    11-25-14 09:11 PM
    I've been saying since the beginning that their sales strategy and their marketing strategy both seem disjointed. Take for example the price cuts and promotions they are running right now. The device has been on the market for 2 months now exactly. 2 months and they are offering a ~30% price cut and running an iPhone trade-in promotion alongside the price cuts to essentially sell either deeply discounted or in some instances "free" Passports. That's contrary to the low volume/high margin approach that they advocated to be adopting at the start. This phone wasn't meant to swing marketshare, just keep BlackBerry afloat.

There is one possibility though. BlackBerry greatly underestimated how many people actually want this phone. Consequently, they decided that maybe they can regain some marketshare or greater presence of mind by moving more Passport volume. This is especially true if the demand is really there, which by all accounts so far there seems to be.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 09:45 PM

JC just said that as to not hurt anyone's feelings BUT of course the PASSPORT is an iPhone killer. Good job mr chen!!!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android side installed on the Passport!
    11-26-14 12:42 AM
    I think the only thing that matters is the more ppl get the passport or classic the better it is for blackberry over all ....don't you ?
    11-26-14 12:53 AM
    Is the trade available in the UK? As if so I have a iphone 5 that's waiting to turn into a passport!

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 05:12 AM
29 12