I agree with the sentiment that as a meaningful financial metric, book value per phone is utterly meaningless, but the author of the Fool piece wasn't trying to present it that way.

What he was saying was that when you compare the impact early iPhone 6 sales have on Apple's bottom line, and the Passport's impact on BlackBerry's, that those 200k Passport sales mean more to BlackBerry than 10 mil iPhones mean to Apple. I think it's a valid point.

If there's anything meaningful in his comparison, it underlines just how tiny BlackBerry has become.
    10-04-14 08:38 PM
    That's soo true, thunderbuck. No wonder you cannot find BlackBerry phones anywhere

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-04-14 08:53 PM
    Refreshing take on the situation
    10-04-14 08:55 PM
    I agree with the sentiment that as a meaningful financial metric, book value per phone is utterly meaningless, but the author of the Fool piece wasn't trying to present it that way.

What he was saying was that when you compare the impact early iPhone 6 sales have on Apple's bottom line, and the Passport's impact on BlackBerry's, that those 200k Passport sales mean more to BlackBerry than 10 mil iPhones mean to Apple. I think it's a valid point.

If there's anything meaningful in his comparison, it underlines just how tiny BlackBerry has become.
    The other meaningful thing is that Apple sells some 10 million units in a week and Blackberry is stuck at 200,000.
    I am as diehard of a Blackberry fan there is and I have a minimal amount of stock invested in Blackberry. But this 200,000 while applauded now will become meaningless and a laughing stock if Blackberry can not even deliver to its most loyal customers.

In times of technology where companies run inventory systems tied into re-order and sales software they do let a whole bunch of customers sitting with pre-orders and not even an approximate delivery date. This applauding of selling so fast 200,000 units will turn around into "Blackberry can't deliver more than 200,000 to its most loyal users". That will take care of the stock again.

But much more important than any stock is the loyal customer base which will continue to shrink because Blackberry can not deliver their new flagship product or better - can not even give you an estimated delivery date.

My Passport was ordered just in time to be put on the "you are **** out of luck" list. I began the order when it was available by the time I finished it was gone. That was almost a week ago. In the mean time they released a few on shopblackberry.com with a discount coupon enabling a lot of people who are 24/7 on CB to order a second one or even return a perfectly good one but already used one just to save some money. In the mean time, some of us have not heard anything about a delivery date.

And in a couple of weeks this will be the word out there. So the intermittent good news about selling 200,000 so fast will be replaced by the bad news which will be much more damaging to the stock and the loyal users. And as much as I defend Blackberry and as loyal as I am this time they deserve every bit of damaging news.
    10-04-14 09:07 PM
    I have an employee who ordered his iPhone6 on launch day and still hasn't received it so it isn't just BlackBerry. All manufacturers have shipping and delivery delays since it is not easy to determine exactly how fast the item will sell. Given BB's recent history, they were wise to err of the side of caution and initially produce fewer units until demand could be more accurately determined.

Posted via CB10
    allsportsfan and spikesolie like this.
    10-04-14 11:06 PM
    I have an employee who ordered his iPhone6 on launch day and still hasn't received it so it isn't just BlackBerry. All manufacturers have shipping and delivery delays since it is not easy to determine exactly how fast the item will sell. Given BB's recent history, they were wise to err of the side of caution and initially produce fewer units until demand could be more accurately determined.

Posted via CB10
    However much I hate that statement, I have to agree..

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052
    allsportsfan likes this.
    10-04-14 11:08 PM

Its this exact type of stock position that allows for great opportunity for growth. Even the sense of a comeback and positive news can drive the price up quick, follow through on that with actual earnings and hold on for the ride.

Apple on the other had is the exact opposite. With such pent up expectation and historical earnings, positive news and product sales only moves the needle a little because it was perceived to be expected. Even if they are selling great numbers but don't meet the inflated market expectations the price would fall.

All that notwithstanding, one has to be careful while drinking the cool-aid that pours from the company your investing in...myself included.
    allsportsfan and Thunderbuck like this.
    10-05-14 07:14 AM
    The other meaningful thing is that Apple sells some 10 million units in a week and Blackberry is stuck at 200,000.
    I am as diehard of a Blackberry fan there is and I have a minimal amount of stock invested in Blackberry. But this 200,000 while applauded now will become meaningless and a laughing stock if Blackberry can not even deliver to its most loyal customers.

In times of technology where companies run inventory systems tied into re-order and sales software they do let a whole bunch of customers sitting with pre-orders and not even an approximate delivery date. This applauding of selling so fast 200,000 units will turn around into "Blackberry can't deliver more than 200,000 to its most loyal users". That will take care of the stock again.

But much more important than any stock is the loyal customer base which will continue to shrink because Blackberry can not deliver their new flagship product or better - can not even give you an estimated delivery date.

My Passport was ordered just in time to be put on the "you are **** out of luck" list. I began the order when it was available by the time I finished it was gone. That was almost a week ago. In the mean time they released a few on shopblackberry.com with a discount coupon enabling a lot of people who are 24/7 on CB to order a second one or even return a perfectly good one but already used one just to save some money. In the mean time, some of us have not heard anything about a delivery date.

And in a couple of weeks this will be the word out there. So the intermittent good news about selling 200,000 so fast will be replaced by the bad news which will be much more damaging to the stock and the loyal users. And as much as I defend Blackberry and as loyal as I am this time they deserve every bit of damaging news.
    Market share isn't everything.

I couldn't care less how pitiful 200k looks to others. To me, it means that BB hit a quarterly sales target in a matter of hours. That shows that a) they've built a product that people are actually interested in and b) their execution has improved considerably.

More importantly, c) THEY'RE GOING TO MAKE MONEY THIS QUARTER. They stand a great chance of being cash-flow positive ahead of schedule. When's the last time you saw BlackBerry do anything good ahead of schedule?
    stealthbob likes this.
    10-05-14 03:44 PM
33 12