The passport has an unique opportunity to use the touch sensitive keyboard as a trackpad. The advantage of such mode would be less zooming on webpages that require precise input. Instead you control a mouse pointer with the keyboard and can even use tap as click. Such mode would be a great complement a be a bridge between desktop and phone. What do you think?

Written on my Passport.
    BerryRipe and tnljba1 like this.
    03-01-15 05:37 PM
    I agree. I think the capacitive keyboard has great potential, the current functions are ok but more could be added. For example, side scrolling, mouse like behaviour (as the OP suggests) as others I cannot imagine.
    Cheers

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    BerryRipe likes this.
    03-01-15 08:04 PM
    Yes! I tried to do this on my keyboard intuitively and then realized the keyboard doesn't have that function.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 11:25 PM
    No, I disagree.

They can add more functions to the keyboard, sure. You can do a lot more with it.

But I don't want a trackpad, nor do I want to use the keyboard as one.

BB10 wasn't designed to be used with a trackpad, and I think making a device with one was a mistake.

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    03-01-15 11:32 PM
    Yes, the capacitive keyboard is a big plus for owning Passport, and BlackBerry need to improve it on sensibility,accuracy, and more functions. Wish all these come true in the possible Passport II near future
    03-01-15 11:38 PM
    If they just enhance the double tap to make it fully a track pad it would be awesome. Just Sayin'!

Working WIDE T-Mobile  Passport Autoloaded 10.3.1.2267 Updated using Sachesi to 10.3.1.2280 Flickering Gone
    03-02-15 09:31 AM
    No, I disagree.

They can add more functions to the keyboard, sure. You can do a lot more with it.

BB10 wasn't designed to be used with a trackpad, and I think making a device with one was a mistake.

Posted via CB10
    It is always nice to have the option though. Many people do like a trackpad. It could be a setting, "Use keyboard as mousepad - On/Off", turn it on if you like it and leave it off if you don't.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 10:14 AM
    Works just like you ask for while I use the Remote Desktop app..

Always have access to my work machine and other telemetry and data collection servers (SCADA's) used for operations. Works as smooth as butter
    03-02-15 10:51 AM
    No, I disagree.

Posted via CB10
    This feature should of course not be mandatory and be able to switch on and off. Not all apps are suitable for this type of input. However, as stealthbob mentioned, remote desktop is a perfect example where this type of input would be excellent.
    stealthbob likes this.
    03-02-15 12:01 PM
    The demonstration to some at work the other day of me using the keyboard as a "mouse pad" while navigating remotely on my laptop back at my desk impressed them greatly. It was quick and accurate, not better than being on the laptop itself but dammed close.

On the flip side all apps are developed with touch in mind, having to fumble with a cursor to input selection would only serve to add complexity to a simple task. Why complicate things where they are not required?
    03-02-15 03:33 PM
    strongly disagree, I know you'll probably get mad after reading this but... you want the pointer/a more legacy device oriented towards older folks that have a hard time getting used to new tech -----> go for the classic

As John Vieira mentioned, BB10 was not designed around a mouse/pointer like the legacy BB OS7 and older versions, hence the strong focus on gestures in BB 10...

I do agree that they should add more capacitive functionality to it, but it should not go any further than that (ie, especially not bringing back a mouse/pointer) since everything now (even desktop computers) seem to be going way of touchscreen, why go backwards?
    Last edited by thedose; 03-02-15 at 03:59 PM.
    03-02-15 03:39 PM
    No, I disagree.

Posted via CB10
    It would be great, because the Passport should truly replace a laptop.
    It should be a portable computer that also makes calls.
    For any geeks remote accessing their computer at work, this is a must-have feature.
    03-02-15 04:13 PM
    strongly disagree, I know you'll probably get mad after reading this but... you want the pointer/a more legacy device oriented towards older folks that have a hard time getting used to new tech -----> go for the classic

As John Vieira mentioned, BB10 was not designed around a mouse/pointer like the legacy BB OS7 and older versions, hence the strong focus on gestures in BB 10...

I do agree that they should add more capacitive functionality to it, but it should not go any further than that (ie, especially not bringing back a mouse/pointer) since everything now (even desktop computers) seem to be going way of touchscreen, why go backwards?
    I have never used BlackBerry OS7. Was there a mouse pointer in OS7?

I know that there is one in BB10 which pops up when you connect a USB mouse so the functionality is already there.
    03-02-15 04:36 PM
    I have never used BlackBerry OS7. Was there a mouse pointer in OS7?

I know that there is one in BB10 which pops up when you connect a USB mouse so the functionality is already there.
    OS7 Used the track pad feature to its full capacity, basically what the OP envisions the keyboard using. Problem is, just like many are experiencing now with the classic the track pad is completely redundant with the gesture based OS10.
    thedose likes this.
    03-02-15 05:48 PM
    Afraid it isn't redundant. Try to hit the cross marking on an advert screen with a finger. 9 out of 10 I open the advert instead of clicking it away (and i have skinny fingers). With the mouse pointer as on legacy BB you can click spot on.

Other advantage is to have full one finger control on webpages.

Anyway. As the sesnitive pkb is there, and as the mouse function exists. Please bring it on.

To me biggest disappointment after switching from Classic to Priv. The Classic pkb types better as Priv pkb bottom row doesn't give proper click resistance. Priv doesn't not have the track pad. Missed oppertunity. Detail. Put them next to each other and it shows the Classic pkb including track pad would easily fit into the Priv pkb space.
    Last edited by johnsliderbb; 06-17-16 at 04:14 PM.
    06-17-16 09:46 AM
    Would be nice to have left and right buttons (virtually)...

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    06-18-16 05:17 AM
    now again relevant on the blackberry keyone! I really miss an app that does this I would like to just not touch the screen when I am busy : mouse pointer would save the day
    02-25-18 08:38 AM