10-03-14 10:27 AM
66 123
tools
    There is more to "advertising" than television commercials.
    But nothing is more effective than television commercials.

They're not trying to sell to consumers, and yet, here we are, so is it a failure of their marketing or a huge SUCCESS?
    I'm not sure that is the established strategy. They are trying to sell it to anyone who will buy it. Not every user of their device is going to be a CIO, CEO, COO, CFO, etc, or someone who is just issued the device by one of those mentioned people.

It's fair to say that if soccer moms knew about the Passport, then more would be buying it... but then, there'd be the problem that the Z10 had in that BB10 was too different from iOS and Android (BB10 gestures, not enough apps) that there would be a lot of returns and negative press about it, so better they DON'T advertise tlo broadly until there is a sufficiently broad base of users that are more "durable" than soccer moms w.r.t. tech, and they can iron out some of the wrinkles and provide proper support.
    How can they get this "sufficiently broad base" by just going for the previously mentioned people? And, how long do they need to iron out these "wrinkles"? Don't they jut need to make a great device, determine what makes it good and different....and then tell everyone?

My sister, for example: not a soccer mom... more of a "fashion mom" but relies on her Bold 9900 totally. She was ooohing and aaaahing about the Passport and I advised her to wait for the Classic. I'll be seeing her on Sunday so I'll give her the demo and let her try mine, but I'm sure despite the huge screen and her assurance that she uses her bold 2 handed most of the time, the Classic is still a better choice for her.
    What example were you trying to illustrate there that relates to deciding not to tell the world the Passport exists? Are you saying they shouldn't advertise it, because, like your sister, the whole world really should wait for the Classic?

Or, maybe, BlackBerry could put a "home" button on one device just as a test, that acts like a "swipe up" and returns to the "Home" screen, and run a bunch of focus groups with non-techies to see if the consumer acceptance rate skyrockets. I bet it would.
    Yes, I bet it would. That's why the classic is so critical. It has a home button....also known as the red "hang up" button.....assuming it functions the same way it does on all previous Blackberry's. But then again....they've left out major critical things before.....
    10-01-14 08:14 PM
    But nothing is more effective than television commercials.
    TV is just one method and effective != cost-effective: you are applying your standards of effectiveness as a consumer to BlackBerry and whether or not you agree or think it's a good strategy, you (and I for that matter) aren't BB's target customer

I'm not sure that is the established strategy. They are trying to sell it to anyone who will buy it.
    No. no no no. no. just "no". BlackBerry trying to sell to just anyone in the face of competition from Apple and Samsung is folly, backed up by the nightmare I like to call "2013". So, no.

Not every user of their device is going to be a CIO, CEO, COO, CFO, etc, or someone who is just issued the device by one of those mentioned people.
    I agree that people who aren't enterprise decision makers are going to buy BlackBerry devices. it isn't relevant to a discussion of how BlackBerry should make marketing decisions.

How can they get this "sufficiently broad base" by just going for the previously mentioned people? And, how long do they need to iron out these "wrinkles"? Don't they jut need to make a great device, determine what makes it good and different....and then tell everyone?
    how consumers at large make purchasing decisions is complex and sometimes mysterious. here's something to think about: not all consumers are enterprise hardware purchase decision makers, but almost all enterprise hardware purchase decision makers are consumers. BlackBerry is doing what they did a decade ago, and history will hopefully repeat itself: win over enterprise / business with great software and devices, and the consumer market will follow: apple did it in reverse, and have succeeded to some degree, but i'll say this: isn't the fact that BlackBerry is still here to rebuild and on the right track not a wee bit of an indictment of apple and Google? with all their resources, they can't chase BlackBerry completely out of enterprise, and despite BB'S enterprise focus, BlackBerry is poised to reclaim market share in the consumer space? What losers!

hat example were you trying to illustrate there that relates to deciding not to tell the world the Passport exists? Are you saying they shouldn't advertise it, because, like your sister, the whole world really should wait for the Classic?
    ... and we're back to "it's not marketing if it's not a TV commercial on a show I watch". I disagree, and I approve of BlackBerry continuing to focus narrowly on cost-effective marketing to enterprise decision makers.

the Passport launch got a lot of mainstream media coverage: that is because of the marketing and PR and IR teams working hard: Mr. Chen didn't just show up at a hotel and started talking to anyone who happened to be there.

That's why the classic is so critical. It has a home button....also known as the red "hang up" button.....assuming it functions the same way it does on all previous Blackberry's. But then again....they've left out major critical things before.....
    look, I know where you're coming from, and because I work in marketing I may have a perpendicular viewpoint to yours on this, but I believe the good intentions of wanting to see BlackBerry devices gain larger market share quickly has to be tempered with the realities of consumer requirements (AAAAAPPPPPPS!) and the fact that samsung and apple combined are successful in part to the fact that they don't just "market", they each spend more on marketing every year than BB's entire market cap. BlackBerry is a whisper in that musclecar arena show, so maybe they are wise not to go.

consumer sentiment will turn around, but 4 years of naysaying can only be undone by good products + patience.

Posted via CB10
    SunshineStateFlyer likes this.
    10-01-14 10:44 PM
    I wish t-mobile and BlackBerry would make up so I can have some of your joy

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 11:29 PM
    I wish t-mobile and BlackBerry would make up so I can have some of your joy

Posted via CB10
    Might have to pony up unlocked cash. I never wait on TMo anymore.
    10-02-14 02:21 AM
    I bought it at full retail. Listed it briefly on Kijiji but to be honest, the markup on the 6+ is within $100 now, not worth the hassle of driving to the city, to meet someone, who will still try to nickel and dime the price down. I'm happy with the Passport. I've got an iPad, so it's no big loss not using the 6+.
    I also returned my iPhone 6 in favor of my passport. I also put it on CL and have noticed the markup on the device is not worth the hassle anymore. They are folks still asking high prices for the 6 plus, but they aren't selling them. Loving my beloved passport.
    10-02-14 04:24 AM
    I love the 6+!

Passport isn't available in US on a carrier yet, so I got a 6+ with my upgrade (paid under 300 bucks), sold it for a heavy profit, then bought my passport outright the day it launched - with enough left over to pay my $40 upgrade fee and order a screen protectorand a back shield .

THANKS APPLE, LOL!
    You da man!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    10-02-14 05:38 AM
    Why would you buy anything from Tmo when they don't subsidized anymore anyway. Just buy it from shopblackberry.com or amazon and not have to unlock at all.
    Might have to pony up unlocked cash. I never wait on TMo anymore.
    10-02-14 09:10 AM
    I got a Passport today at the local Telus store, $700 + tax and $35 for the unlock code. Very quick and painless. Before that though, I went to the Apple store where I bought; and was going to use, the 6+. People in the store as well as the Manager couldn't believe I was returning a still sealed iPhone 6+ from last friday. It was hilarious. Store Manager at the Telus store said they sold out of the Passport shipment last week in 2 days. Got another 10 in yesterday and I bought #5 since then. They're very pleased with the sales of the Passport. I have to laugh at the people in the Apple store, they looked like their best friend just died when I handed back the 6+. It was stunned silence and disbelief, priceless!!!
    You should have advertised the big beast at the bendstore...
    10-02-14 09:14 AM
    You should have advertised the big beast at the bendstore...
    Salt in the wound to them, I'm sure. I still laugh when I see TV coverage of people in NYC lined up 10 city blocks for the bend phone. They're all drinking the cool-aid. It's like Starbucks. Apple and Starbucks go hand in hand.
    10-02-14 10:17 AM
    Why would you buy anything from Tmo when they don't subsidized anymore anyway. Just buy it from shopblackberry.com or amazon and not have to unlock at all.
    They don't subsidize, but they do finance. Of course, their prices might be (and often are) more than what you can find on the open market, but some people prefer making 24 smaller payments than one large one.
    robert_in_la likes this.
    10-02-14 10:43 AM
    I got a Passport today at the local Telus store, $700 + tax and $35 for the unlock code. Very quick and painless. Before that though, I went to the Apple store where I bought; and was going to use, the 6+. People in the store as well as the Manager couldn't believe I was returning a still sealed iPhone 6+ from last friday. It was hilarious. Store Manager at the Telus store said they sold out of the Passport shipment last week in 2 days. Got another 10 in yesterday and I bought #5 since then. They're very pleased with the sales of the Passport. I have to laugh at the people in the Apple store, they looked like their best friend just died when I handed back the 6+. It was stunned silence and disbelief, priceless!!!
    You should have picked up your passport first, then filmed the return of your iSheep with it.
    10-02-14 11:10 AM
    Because you can make monthly payments over 2 years without any interest - that's really the only reason.
    Mel25 likes this.
    10-02-14 11:12 AM
    iCook is digging up iSteve who is spinning out of control in his grave. Im sure he will take a picture, upload it to iCloud, so that we can all enjoy the nearly devastating tornado.
    Tim Cook already tried but Steve moved himself to an undisclosed location.
    mister2d likes this.
    10-02-14 03:25 PM
    TV is just one method and effective != cost-effective: you are applying your standards of effectiveness as a consumer to BlackBerry and whether or not you agree or think it's a good strategy, you (and I for that matter) aren't BB's target customer

TV is just one method. The proven most effective method. They are not "my standards" they are proven facts in the advertising world.

Since I already own a BlackBerry, I am indeed BB's target customer.

No. no no no. no. just "no". BlackBerry trying to sell to just anyone in the face of competition from Apple and Samsung is folly, backed up by the nightmare I like to call "2013". So, no.
    You are confusing "marketing" to anyone with selling to anyone. They market to areas of low hanging fruit, but I think they would gladly sell to more than those areas if they could come up with the right strategy to do it. So far, they really can't explain to the average person or even to the non-average person (who hasn't ever owned a BB) why they are different....and, perhaps, better.

I agree that people who aren't enterprise decision makers are going to buy BlackBerry devices. it isn't relevant to a discussion of how BlackBerry should make marketing decisions.
    Because........?

how consumers at large make purchasing decisions is complex and sometimes mysterious. here's something to think about: not all consumers are enterprise hardware purchase decision makers, but almost all enterprise hardware purchase decision makers are consumers. BlackBerry is doing what they did a decade ago, and history will hopefully repeat itself: win over enterprise / business with great software and devices, and the consumer market will follow: apple did it in reverse, and have succeeded to some degree, but i'll say this: isn't the fact that BlackBerry is still here to rebuild and on the right track not a wee bit of an indictment of apple and Google? with all their resources, they can't chase BlackBerry completely out of enterprise, and despite BB'S enterprise focus, BlackBerry is poised to reclaim market share in the consumer space? What losers!

These are good points, but not really addressing my questions about your previous statements about wrinkles, etc.

... and we're back to "it's not marketing if it's not a TV commercial on a show I watch". I disagree, and I approve of BlackBerry continuing to focus narrowly on cost-effective marketing to enterprise decision makers.
    Uh, what? I never said anything about a TV commercial I asked you about your sister waiting for the classic and how that relates to the rest of the people out there.

the Passport launch got a lot of mainstream media coverage: that is because of the marketing and PR and IR teams working hard: Mr. Chen didn't just show up at a hotel and started talking to anyone who happened to be there.
    And, your point is? That....for one day....there were news blurbs about the new BlackBerry. Yes, that happened. It pretty much always does. Just like for the Z10. Q10, etc. Then what happened? The world forgot.

look, I know where you're coming from, and because I work in marketing I may have a perpendicular viewpoint to yours on this,
    Strangely I work in marketing too, so I'm not sure that is the reason for any possible perpendicular viewpoint.

but I believe the good intentions of wanting to see BlackBerry devices gain larger market share quickly has to be tempered with the realities of consumer requirements (AAAAAPPPPPPS!) and the fact that samsung and apple combined are successful in part to the fact that they don't just "market", they each spend more on marketing every year than BB's entire market cap. BlackBerry is a whisper in that musclecar arena show, so maybe they are wise not to go.

consumer sentiment will turn around, but 4 years of naysaying can only be undone by good products + patience.

Posted via CB10
    What does that have to do with the home button comment that you responded to?
    10-02-14 05:36 PM
    You are confusing "marketing" to anyone with selling to anyone.
    no. you are confusing your ability to buy something with blackberry's strategy for who they market and "sell" to. I have no interest in continuing this because you say you work in marketing, so I should take at face value you know what you are talking about. We'll just have to disagree then, but i'll be agreeing with John Chen's strategy. You can do what you like.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 07:35 PM
    no. you are confusing your ability to buy something with blackberry's strategy for who they market and "sell" to.
    Incomplete sentence (or simply poorly written)....you forgot to say what I was confusing that with.

. I have no interest in continuing this because you say you work in marketing,so I should take at face value you know what you are talking about
    So, if I HADN'T said that, would you have had interest in continuing this? Honestly, I could have said the same thing after you made that statement....which, I assume was....to assert that you "know what you're talking about".

We'll just have to disagree then, but i'll be agreeing with John Chen's strategy. You can do what you like.

Posted via CB10

I'm very grateful to get this permission from someone who works in marketing. Thank you so much.

Nice job at ignoring all the specific things I asked about your posts. Well played. Must be a marketing strategy.
    10-03-14 10:27 AM
66 123