Bump since a new thread about this seems to be posted every few days.
    01-25-17 08:02 AM
    I am also having a similar problem with my Passport. I tried taking it a part and cleaning some of the contacts inside with no luck. This must be a hardware problem.
    01-26-17 09:39 AM
    The thing is, if it was a hardware problem why it it work perfectly sometimes? The other day I was sitting in an airport and had four bars. It worked perfectly for hours. It was when I moved that it went to emergency calls only on an AT&T tower (not the red X indicating no signal). That tells me there is something wrong with the switching logic within in the phone which sounds software related.
    01-27-17 07:26 AM
    Some places no phone or Internet-especially outside big cities in the suburbs. I carry a 2nd little flip phone on me just for service in those areas and also inside Malls. T-Mobile suggests it's a hardware issue with the phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-17 12:00 PM
    On T-Mobile network it has to be software related if it cuts in and out.

But if your phone has completely lost service and won't reconnect, than it's most likely hardware related. The main failure point in this case has been the SIM tray. Some fixes in this case.....
    1) place a piece of paper behind the SIM card.
    2) or press carefully on the SIM tray housing while the SIM card is not in it. Ever so slightly bending thw SIM tray housing down. This makes the housing push the SIM card against the prongs to create a better contact with the SIM card. And eliminates the need to use paper. This option can also break the SIM tray if not done carefully.
    01-28-17 12:09 AM
    I have been sending requests to BlackBerry help on Twitter and they have known about the problem all along. Every couple of months I send a query and this is the response.

Good morning, again I am checking on the no service issue that I have on an AT&T Passport. the knowledge base article hasn't changed and neither has my passport. So, can you assist me in where and how to get it fixed? Pretty please.
    Hello. I understand the frustration that can arise from the device not working and the KB article not being updated, however it is being investigated and the KB will be updated when any information becomes available. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause, however we must ask for your patience while a fix is developed. ^NW
    03-03-17 11:11 AM
    I sent my Passport back when this occurred and the place I sent it back to replaced it with a Priv (I had to pay extra) because they didn't have any Passports any more. I sent it back on 17th December 2015. There were already people on Crackberry with the same problem, so I think it's safe to say Blackberry have known about this for over a year now.

For me I'm pretty sure it wasn't the SIM tray - occasionally I'd get a signal but never if I went inside a building... my assumption was it was an issue with the antenna, but I could have been wrong of course....
    03-03-17 01:28 PM
    so my PP is on 10.3.2.858

it just developed a version of this issue a few days ago...the one thing that's constant is that it won't make or receive phone calls. sometimes it says "emergency calls only"...other times its just the red X network unavailable...the most frustrating times, its got full data connectivity and can even load web pages (no, I'm not connected to wifi) but when i try to make a phone call, it goes to the red X...once I close the phone app, I have bars again, sometimes

i've tried different sims, no luck. i'm thinking about updating (or downgrading) the OS...any one have luck with that?

i love this phones battery life and keyboard, and i've managed without apps because I only need twitter and Reddit in Motion and both work fine. i can't stand the thought of downgrading to something else (can't afford a flagship at this time)
    03-03-17 05:47 PM
    i find my tray is a pretty tight fit already ... how do you manage to get paper in between. i'm trying with strips of sticky notes, no luck
    03-03-17 05:51 PM
    so my PP is on 10.3.2.858

it just developed a version of this issue a few days ago...the one thing that's constant is that it won't make or receive phone calls. sometimes it says "emergency calls only"...other times its just the red X network unavailable...the most frustrating times, its got full data connectivity and can even load web pages (no, I'm not connected to wifi) but when i try to make a phone call, it goes to the red X...once I close the phone app, I have bars again, sometimes

i've tried different sims, no luck. i'm thinking about updating (or downgrading) the OS...any one have luck with that?

i love this phones battery life and keyboard, and i've managed without apps because I only need twitter and Reddit in Motion and both work fine. i can't stand the thought of downgrading to something else (can't afford a flagship at this time)
    I am afraid you don't have much choice but to switch handsets (unless you want to try and fix your device with a motherboard swap).
    03-07-17 10:03 AM
    yea, that's where I'm at. not doing any hardware mods as i don't have the time or competence. but i do miss the Passport
    03-08-17 01:26 PM
    Unfortunately the mother board prices haven't fallen with the price of the complete phone, last time I looked the board was $129. US, For a few more dollars you get the whole phone?
    03-10-17 07:55 PM
    Here's my temporary fix for emergency calls only.😈
    Attached Thumbnails Stuck on "emergency calls only"-20170314_202619.jpg  
    03-14-17 08:32 PM
    A few more images.
    Stuck on "emergency calls only"-20170314_202535.jpg
    Stuck on "emergency calls only"-20170314_202556.jpg

Stuck on "emergency calls only"-20170314_202538.jpg

Posted via CB10
    03-14-17 08:47 PM
    It's a new style of Flip-Fone by McGuyver Co.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-17 09:23 PM
    Well, I cracked open my Passport one more time. This time I applied some solder to the ant connectors "copper pads", And then I reflowed the solder connections of the Sim housing. And I am no longer in "Emergency Calls HELL"!
    Stuck on "emergency calls only"-img_20170314_190157.png
    Stuck on "emergency calls only"-img_20170316_173405.png

Posted via CB10
    03-16-17 05:42 PM
    The signal was still touch and go, then I went into settings / about /general /network, then press the 3 dots, it will have Register Blackberry & Resync Configuration. I did both and it increased my signal level. Good Luck.
    03-16-17 09:34 PM
    I got the "emergency calls only" problem about one month after I updated (OTA) my passport to 10.3.3 (Telekom network in Germany). I've noticed that in some areas (I think near a base station) the phone can connect to the wireless network and I can use data and make and receive phone calls. In other areas I can only receive and maintain calls and use data, but if I try to start a call with the phone I get a "network busy" message. In other areas I only get the "emergency calls only" message, although the phone can see the network.
    So my theory is that the problem is on the transmitting side of the phone. It's like the phone receives the base station signal and responds with a weak or defective signal that the base station can't receive or recognize. After a while the phone gives up trying to connect to the base station. I replaced the antenna (speakers and antenna module) on my passport to no avail. I have also tried other sims and providers without success.
    I think the problem originated with the 10.3.3 update because there are more reports originated in the same time frame. I only hope that the hardware isn't damaged now, for example because of extended time of too much power on the transceiver circuitry. Reports indicate phones warming up and high battery use.
    Last edited by germanib; 03-17-17 at 05:57 AM.
    03-17-17 05:45 AM
    I was foolish enough to think that I may gotten mine fixed, but it wasn't. I went inside the unit and touched up any questionable solder connections, also cleaned copper pads and repositioned the board connection points. After that I was able to make some texts and calls. The fix is very intermittent, When I'm outside of my home I'll have 3-5 bars signal level and LTE is displayed for about "85%" of the time the phone is fully functional. But it'll go into emergency call mode at any time without warning. Inside the home it'll work about "20%" of the time. Of course an 80% repair is unacceptable. Well back to the Z10.
    03-17-17 05:42 PM
    03-19-17 07:32 AM
    UGH sam-tech...you keep getting my hopes up. i miss my PP
    03-20-17 10:09 AM
    Never give up the fight! Unless you've got plenty of cash , Then of course replace the phone. Also my call problems started before the 10.3.3 update! I do not enjoy using my Z10 anymore, It's small, slow and takes forever to text without errors. I make more mistakes with the predictive text when trying to swipe the words correctly
    03-20-17 05:17 PM
    Bump.
    03-25-17 02:02 PM
    @koffietafel from this post has found a way to fix the problem. However, It is not widely tested, so you guys can give it a try.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...94/index3.html

Posted via CB10
    04-19-17 09:43 PM
    Good Day from Philippines :

BB Passport :
    May 04, 2017 started encounter this "emergency calls only", but i noticed that when outdoor my BB Passport got a signal even 4G /LTE.

as advised, i do the troubleshooting ;

- remove / re-inserted the sim after and turn on after 30sec - NOT WORKING
    - select network manually - NOT WORKING
    - change sim with other working sim - NOT WORKING
    - hard reset / factory reset - NOT WORKING
    - other option buy new unit but not BB
    i guess BB company need to explain to there customer about this issue.

too sad. Stuck on "emergency calls only"-20170506_154314.jpg
    Stuck on "emergency calls only"-20170506_154018.jpg
    05-06-17 04:02 AM
80 1234