I have a few Android Apps that have their own built in web browser which is accessed when you click a link - FlipBoard, Materialistic for Hacker News etc. Recently I noticed that when I click the link I receive a message in app saying the web page cannot be found and to try again later. If I use the option to open the links in an external browser the links open just fine in the stock BB Passport browser (and in other Android browsers I have on the Passport).

Its as if the page are being blocked somehow - any ideas anyone ?
    01-20-20 06:31 AM
    I have a few Android Apps that have their own built in web browser which is accessed when you click a link - FlipBoard, Materialistic for Hacker News etc. Recently I noticed that when I click the link I receive a message in app saying the web page cannot be found and to try again later. If I use the option to open the links in an external browser the links open just fine in the stock BB Passport browser (and in other Android browsers I have on the Passport).

Its as if the page are being blocked somehow - any ideas anyone ?
    First thing I would do is see if the app has a setting to disable opening links with its built-in browser.
    01-20-20 08:15 AM
    Yes, I can do that in one of the Apps but it is a pain and strange that they suddenly do no work
    01-21-20 09:12 AM
    Yes, I can do that in one of the Apps but it is a pain and strange that they suddenly do no work
    Is it really? You're using a browser built in 2012, followed by 3 years of very light updates.
    01-21-20 09:16 AM
    Is it really? You're using a browser built in 2012, followed by 3 years of very light updates.
    The pain I refer to is not the viewing in the stock browser or indeed any other browser, it works fine. The issue is leaving an up to date Android App with its own built in browser that seems to be somehow being blocked for content. This is the original context of the question ie. Did anyone else see this issue and if so how did they resolve it.
    01-21-20 11:47 AM
    The pain I refer to is not the viewing in the stock browser or indeed any other browser, it works fine. The issue is leaving an up to date Android App with its own built in browser that seems to be somehow being blocked for content. This is the original context of the question ie. Did anyone else see this issue and if so how did they resolve it.
    In 2020, modern Android issues are solved by simply using a modern Android device of your choosing. Sometimes the only solution for old models is accepting limitations. Surely you already make other exceptions.
    01-21-20 11:53 AM
    On that basis why ask for any advice or help on this forum ? In general I find the people on this forum I helpful and insightful in terms of some of the challenges they have in still using the Passport as a daily driver. Yes I can use an Android phone direct but like many, whilst there is still life in the Passport, I prefer to use that. I was simply asking if anyone had come across this problem and if so how they had solved it. If not, fine, I will investigate myself. I suspect its a user agent issue in some apps but I will do some deeper investigation through a proxy to investigate the request / response.
    elfabio80 and Crusader03 like this.
    01-21-20 12:21 PM
    Most modern Android apps render with WebView, which is not available (in any real, up-to-date way) on BB10.
    01-21-20 12:25 PM
    On that basis why ask for any advice or help on this forum ? In general I find the people on this forum I helpful and insightful in terms of some of the challenges they have in still using the Passport as a daily driver. Yes I can use an Android phone direct but like many, whilst there is still life in the Passport, I prefer to use that. I was simply asking if anyone had come across this problem and if so how they had solved it. If not, fine, I will investigate myself. I suspect its a user agent issue in some apps but I will do some deeper investigation through a proxy to investigate the request / response.
    My point was simply, there’s not always solutions, that’s all. If you’re able to still use, have fun as that’s your prerogative
    01-21-20 12:25 PM
    In 2020, modern Android issues are solved by simply using a modern Android device of your choosing. Sometimes the only solution for old models is accepting limitations. Surely you already make other exceptions.
    Chucky, your starting to sound like those people that us BB10 people talk about but don't say their names out loud.
    Have you been hanging out with the elite crackberrians that have been yet again abandoned by their supreme leader on a newer device?

Hammered out on my Precious Passport.
    01-21-20 07:35 PM
    Chucky, your starting to sound like those people that us BB10 people talk about but don't say their names out loud.
    Have you been hanging out with the elite crackberrians that have been yet again abandoned by their supreme leader on a newer device?

Hammered out on my Precious Passport.
    No I just accept the glitches on BB10 as part of the aging process. I fired up three of my BB10 devices around New Years and was frustrated as hell. I just accept the broken crap and move on.

On positive note , CB10 is still good and usable. :-D
    01-21-20 07:53 PM
    Hang in there, there should be folks along shortly with opinions and solutions other than the old and tiring fall back of age related and may even offer you and us a work around.

Posted via my Passport
    01-21-20 08:36 PM
    Hang in there, there should be folks along shortly with opinions and solutions other than the old and tiring fall back of age related and may even offer you and us a work around.

Posted via my Passport
    I already answered.
    01-21-20 09:01 PM
    Most modern Android apps render with WebView, which is not available (in any real, up-to-date way) on BB10.
    Doesn't the Fennec browser solve this problem for the most part? I use it sparingly as it is a battery hog and heats the phone a bit.
    01-21-20 09:17 PM
    Doesn't the Fennec browser solve this problem for the most part? I use it sparingly as it is a battery hog and heats the phone a bit.
    Not really... as OP mentioned it's with in-app browsers in Android apps - no issues with browsers specifically.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-20 09:24 PM
    Not really... as OP mentioned it's with in-app browsers in Android apps - no issues with browsers specifically.

Posted via CB10
    Oh, I see. No option for "Open In" then? I'm not familiar with the apps OP mentioned. Just noticed that OP can use "Open In". Might be the only work around.
    Last edited by Crusader03; 01-21-20 at 09:50 PM.
    01-21-20 09:26 PM
    Have you tried clearing the app data via Device Monitor? Note that this will clear the app to default as if freshly installed. Also, have you tried uninstall/reinstall?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-20 09:40 PM