Hi, i'm writing here because, after many years of honored service, it is time to change my Bold and I'm considering the BB Passport. After a couple of reading here I have a doubt because I need due to work conditions, app which arenot in the store and I should install google play where I could download them but I'm not sure whether or not this is still possible.

Thk
    10-17-17 03:20 AM
    If you know what BB10 is, then maybe.

If you have no idea what BB10 is, then I'd say no.

But this question has been asked, asked and asked.... just do a search with your title.
    10-17-17 07:01 AM
    Sincerely I have no idea what BB10 but definiscono nitly I need a phisical keyboard because I had an iPhone but it was an awful experience and for this reason I do not want anymore IOS neither Android.

I found the answer in the forum but, if I understood there are people who download and install without troubles the android app and other people who cannot.
    Between milions of app in google play, I need only the app used for travel planning, pdf reader (this is a must), and that for the ground transportation in my city.
    10-17-17 08:44 AM
    Since you have no idea what BB10 is, I suggest you avoid the Passport and get the KEYone instead. Too many workarounds just to install/run Android apps, if they even work at all.
    anon(10441701) likes this.
    10-17-17 08:56 AM
    Since you have no idea what BB10 is, I suggest you avoid the Passport and get the KEYone instead. Too many workarounds just to install/run Android apps, if they even work at all.
    Is there a way to know before to download the android app if it works or not?
    10-17-17 09:02 AM
    No. You have to load it and experiment to see if it works. Some wont initially work but work thereafter. Others need patching. Others will never work. Others work slow. What I have noticed, is that most of the android apps have flaws even when they do work.

If you want a headache free phone dont buy the passport.

The passport is best for email and text. As support is being lost I would not buy this unless you like the different style. Honestly I like this phone for me. I dont have time to play social media and the like. Definitely no time for games. Although it can on some level it is not like ios or android.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 likes this.
    10-17-17 09:09 AM
    Is there a way to know before to download the android app if it works or not?
    It's not just knowing if the app will work "now" but also will it work 2 weeks from now. The android runtime in BB10 is at v 4.3 versus today's version 8. More and more apps every day are being written/updated etc with a minimum requirement of android 5. So an app that works for me now (I have a Passport) may not work for me a week from now. It is just too unpredictable to recommend how long they will work for you. If you give me the name of your app, I can test it for you but that doesn't mean it will work for long. All I can tell you is that there is a built-in PDF reader in BB10 that is well integrated into the OS and it works well. Your travel planning and transportation apps will be doubtful--they may work now but no guarantees tomorrow.
    10-17-17 09:15 AM
    Thanks brookie now it's clear.

This is the same problem as with the old IOS and the new app which are not supported and this created the awful experience I had with the old iPhone.
    Theorically the app could work if the minimum requirements are Android version 4.3 and older.
    10-17-17 09:22 AM
    You will find BB10 awful too just like Android/IOS since you're on BBOS and that's what is usual for you. Whatever device you pick and whatever OS you choose, you will have to force yourself to use new device and OS for 30-60 days without going back to old device.

Don't waste your time on BB10 if you need Apps. If you're going to learn a new OS, learn BBAndroid or standard android. BBAndroid has some of the feel of BBOS and BB10 and it has the apps you need. You seem to keep devices long term. Pick a long term OS and device like KEYone.
    10-17-17 09:32 AM
    Sincerely I have no idea what BB10 but definiscono nitly I need a phisical keyboard because I had an iPhone but it was an awful experience and for this reason I do not want anymore IOS neither Android.

I found the answer in the forum but, if I understood there are people who download and install without troubles the android app and other people who cannot.
    Between milions of app in google play, I need only the app used for travel planning, pdf reader (this is a must), and that for the ground transportation in my city.
    Hi. I am still using BlackBerry Z10. Before I used Bold 9900. I would suggest you to get an BlackBerry keyone or a new motion. Yes, Motion. You have not used aBlackberry virtual keyboard. That's why you don't want any more virtual keyboard. I changed from iPhone 5 to Bold 9900, because of keyboard.

Then I tried a Z10. I said myself. It depends who makes virtual keyboard. BlackBerry virtual keyboard is amazing. If you with Passport, you will need after sometimes to change again. Blackberry designed OS or reworked OS has been always amazing.
    You won't regret if you go with Keyone or wait fot Motion. I am sure about this.

Cusi
    10-17-17 09:40 AM
    Hi. I am still using BlackBerry Z10. Before I used Bold 9900. I would suggest you to get an BlackBerry keyone or a new motion. Yes, Motion. You have not used aBlackberry virtual keyboard. That's why you don't want any more virtual keyboard. I changed from iPhone 5 to Bold 9900, because of keyboard.

Then I tried a Z10. I said myself. It depends who makes virtual keyboard. BlackBerry virtual keyboard is amazing. If you with Passport, you will need after sometimes to change again. Blackberry designed OS or reworked OS has been always amazing.
    You won't regret if you go with Keyone or wait fot Motion. I am sure about this.

Cusi
    Do not get the motion or the keyone. Get the passport SE. There are tons of ways of getting the android apps you want and the Google playstore. Bb10 is a better operating system than android hands down. I went from a Priv to this silver passport..even tried a leap but I can't get use to a touch screen. The motion is going to be another TCL launched sub par spec rip off.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-17 10:28 AM
    Hi, i'm writing here because, after many years of honored service, it is time to change my Bold and I'm considering the BB Passport. After a couple of reading here I have a doubt because I need due to work conditions, app which arenot in the store and I should install google play where I could download them but I'm not sure whether or not this is still possible.

Thk
    It's possible my friend you will not regret purchasing the passport. It's quite simply the best blackberry ever made.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-17 10:29 AM
    Not all apps from Google Play will work on BB10 for various reasons (incompatible runtime, developer blocks, etc). If you need a physical keyboard and these apps for work you might be better off with a Keyone or Priv.
    10-17-17 10:50 AM
    Do not get the motion or the keyone. Get the passport SE. There are tons of ways of getting the android apps you want and the Google playstore. Bb10 is a better operating system than android hands down. I went from a Priv to this silver passport..even tried a leap but I can't get use to a touch screen. The motion is going to be another TCL launched sub par spec rip off.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you. BlackBerry Passport SE is a perfect device. Actually, I use my smartphone as a telephone and storage and email communications. I don't use any social networking apps except Linked for professional reasons. Even, I don't use whatsapp.
    I have a Z10. In spite of virtual keyboard, I am happy with its performance. Little bit slow when downloading web-pages, but much-much better than leap. During Chen's time, only good smartphones were passport and classic. Buy the way, I had Passports both black and SE. But, they had overheating issues. This is how I ended up with Z10.

Coming back to PRiv. That phone was disaster. Nice design, but the worst performance from the BlackBerry. Keyone is a nice device. In spute of Android OS. The majority reason people choose a BlackBerry devices is the privacy. With Keyone and Nougat OS, the privacy of consumer user are enough good protected.

Cusi
    10-17-17 10:58 AM
    If you really want to be unique, get a windows continuum phone. Apps are very few, OS not supported by microsoft anymore except maintenance, but NO iOS phone or android phone can do what continuum does - it changes your phone into a desktop computer.

I personally love unique phones, like passport or hp elite x3. Really cutting edge stuff back in their day and STILL useful now.

Or, just get an android and play it safe.

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    10-17-17 02:26 PM
    If you really want to be unique, get a windows continuum phone. Apps are very few, OS not supported by microsoft anymore except maintenance, but NO iOS phone or android phone can do what continuum does - it changes your phone into a desktop computer.

I personally love unique phones, like passport or hp elite x3. Really cutting edge stuff back in their day and STILL useful now.

Or, just get an android and play it safe.

The Galaxy S8 can do this with DeX, it even has Microsoft supporting it.

https://www.windowscentral.com/samsu...rosoft-support
    10-17-17 03:44 PM
    That's right! Samsung has its own continuum-like feature.

Or, wait a year and try one of the upcoming foldable phones. Or try the Red HYdrogen phone, which is probably going to be the best camera on phone ever... if you can afford it.

Did I mention the holographic screen too? Yes, that's right. The HYdrogen will have a holographic screen.

So many unique phones a'comin'...

10-17-17 03:52 PM

So many unique phones a'comin'...
    If you want something really unique take a look at the about to be released Gemini PDA, with WiFi /4G and dual booting Android and LINUX!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...device-phone#/

Posted via CB10
    10-17-17 04:55 PM
    Looks cool but pretty enormous. Good luck fitting that in a pocket. Still, if they can get it right (8000mAh battery!), price less than $500, I'd say there's some competition for the keyone...

I like that Gemini keyboard too...

10-17-17 05:09 PM
    Why not? Good battery life, good screen, android apps still work(maybe some don't. ) Hub is wonderful. PKB is the best ever. Why not?

Posted via CB10
    10-18-17 12:34 AM
    If you want something really unique take a look at the about to be released Gemini PDA, with WiFi /4G and dual booting Android and LINUX!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...device-phone#/

Posted via CB10
    Most of the dual booting devices that run Android... are older versions of Android (around 5.1), or they are a customized version of Android. I looked at getting a dual boot tablet about a year ago.... they can be found pretty cheap, but then most the reviews were not very impressive.

As for the Passport.... KRACK is something to watch and see if BlackBerry provides information or a fix for.
    10-18-17 09:03 AM
    Great phone by itself, don't count on Android apps working even if it's possible for some, particularly for critical functions. The native dropbox app stopped working, the android equivalent works but wants to eat the battery, so I now have to remember to stop it after using it, another detail to remember, which I could do without. Whatsapp might be dead for good next december.
    thatgadgetgirl36 likes this.
    10-18-17 03:44 PM
    Why not?
    From the Gemini site:
    "In terms of software we partnered up with Private Planet, a leading supplier of applications and personal cloud solutions for mobile operators such as T-Mobile and Etisalat."

I can't think of a bigger why not, than Etisalat.

OP, do yourself a favor and get the KEYᵒⁿᵉ. The Passport and BB10 were awesome, but you cannot have any confidence the apps you need will work today, let alone tomorrow, as many have advised.
    10-18-17 09:18 PM
    OP, I still happen to enjoy my Passport SE as my messaging communicator, and I highly recommend one. However, for apps I use an old iPhone 6 Plus whose camera no longer works. That's why I also have a Pixel. If you need apps I suggest a cheaper iPhone like the SE or 7, the latter coming in two cool black colors, to pair up with the Passport SE. It'd be a great combo. I've owned Windows Phones before, and the OS has the same app problem that BB10 has. I think you'd like BB10 for messaging, but also only if you accept its limitations. Hence, the dual device solution. Good luck!

Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Passport SE
    Last edited by Avenzuno; 10-27-17 at 10:57 PM.
    10-18-17 11:32 PM
    My opinion is still worth and depends on what you need these days. if you a lot of apps from playstore, surely to get bb with Android OS, if you just need few things with playstore grab this phone, Passport is just awesome!!!

Posted via Passport Silver Edition
    10-20-17 08:51 AM
148 123 ...