I have Cobalts patch on my SE. As the ART ages, is it OK to update the apps?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 05:25 PM
    It is getting more and more difficult for those apps to work as time goes on. Personally, I would not update them UNLESS the updates provide new features that you cannot live without. I know that it is hard to resist updating but in many cases you create more problems than you solve. Its probably a good idea to check the changelog of the app update before you go ahead just to see what is being added. If you are fortunate enough to have a spare BB10 device, like I do, then experiment away.
    08-12-16 05:35 PM
    Thanks @brookie229 I've asked myself that question several times.
    08-12-16 06:06 PM
    I keep a copy of the latest apk, so I can always go back if the update breaks.
    brookie229 and FF22 like this.
    08-12-16 06:17 PM
    Yup. Made that mistake with Pandora. It plays fine but there are bugs. I've noticed IG lagging as well.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 06:58 PM
    Yup. Made that mistake with Pandora. It plays fine but there are bugs. I've noticed IG lagging as well.

Posted via CB10
    Apkmirror has a good, safe repository of older apps.
    deadcowboy likes this.
    08-12-16 08:23 PM
    I'm not completely sure I understand the issue. My experience with both Snap and the Google Play Store (after Cobalt's fix) is that available downloads are checked against the 4.3 Android runtime version. Perhaps that's because I identified my advice as a BB Passport when I set up my Google Play account. Anyway, I'm supposedly prevented from downloading incompatible apps.

While I'm generally confident that the updates I'm provided for download will work, I did run into a problem with one app update where I needed to roll back to the previous version. This made me a bit more cautious than before, so I no longer set out to keep all of my Android apps updated if they seem to work well enough as is or are seldom used. I've also noticed that, for those apps listed in both the Amazon Appstore and Snap, that Amazon pushes updates less frequently, giving me another sign that it's ok to go slow with updates.
    08-12-16 11:24 PM
    I've got 11 updates pending on Google play, I just keep ignoring them and everything is working ok so far, not that I use very many apps anyway. What is strange is that several of the apps that Google play store wants to update for me were originally from blackberry world so they must of just been android apps rebadged for BlackBerry world anyhow.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 11:42 PM
    What is strange is that several of the apps that Google play store wants to update for me were originally from blackberry world so they must of just been android apps rebadged for BlackBerry world anyhow.
    That is strange. I've seen nothing like that re: my BBW apps.

BTW I should amend what I said before: The version block I mentioned only pertains to new app purchases. Once I have purchased an Android app, then updates continue to appear in both my Snap and Play Store lists regardless of whether the updates are still compatible with 4.3.
    08-13-16 12:10 AM
    [QUOTE=Peter_Cincy;12546405]That is strange. I've seen nothing like that re: my BBW apps.

Same for me, it lists all Android apk... even the Amazon appstore appears in Snap with an update...

Ferrari ZetaTrenta STA100-2 Versione 10.3.2.2876
    08-13-16 02:41 PM
    I usually check the changelog too, and if it's something big, only then will I bother to update.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 04:48 PM
    Yup. Installed pandora APK from a couple of months ago and problem solved.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 06:09 PM
    I always keep working version on APK as backups.
    So if update screw things up, I can always go back.
    I don't have many Android apps on my Passport. But better safe than sorry.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 09:30 PM
    So far no issues for me with updating the apps...never occurred to me not to update... so I do

on the road with my BlackBerry
    08-14-16 07:10 AM
    Best to do a backup before upgrading, at least then you can restore if it goes bad...

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    08-14-16 08:02 AM