I can't believe I'm still running my Passport, especially since I'd been "trialing" an iPhone for the past couple of years in anticipation of the big meltdown. At a company event the other day my coworkers literally keeled over when they saw me whip out my BlackBerry to check my email. I know it's inevitable given that more and essential services are requiring mobile apps. (And by essential, I don't mean Facebook and Uber Eats, I mean public health, banking and the like).

While I still retain the iPhone "just in case", I pulled the plug on that transition. While I like the privacy attitude (real or imagined?), I couldn't deal with the way Apple handled other matters. The workflow, the lack of SD card slot, no headphone jack, the screen notch...
    I still like my Windows 10 Mobile devices, great hardware and wonderful to use despite (because of?) its little quirks and bugs, but that faces the same limitation as BlackBerry. While the significantly better browser carried the day for a while, more and more web sites seem to be explicitly checking for Safari or Chrome.

So of course that really just leaves Android (until Sailfish gets its act together and makes itself available to the rest of the world). I'd been trying some really old Android/Lineage devices for a while to get an idea of how to better protect myself (oh so painful!). Originally I was going to grab a Titan Pocket, but then at the last minute there was the "What else could I get for my $299 USD?" thought that came to mind. And surprisingly, that led me to used LG phones. Many of the recent models can be picked up for less than $299, I even snagged a V50 for less than $200. Refurbished, but looks brand new to me. Amazingly, they are still getting OS updates! Yes, they have a notch, but LG kindly provided a toggle option to deal with that. Other than that, it checks off most of the other boxes (even headphone jack with quad-DAC!). As a bonus, their suite of email & calendar apps don't appear to contain any known trackers so that saves me from having to sort through other "safe" options. The V50 is just a tad wide for me for one-handed use but the G8 should hit that mark nicely.
    If you're willing to forego the latest OS (Android 8 or 9 depending on the model), you can even snag a V20 device which will net you removable battery (plenty of inexpensive replacements on Amazon) with metal back and even IR remote. For around $100 USD, I'd take that over any of the Unihertz.

However, I still admit I haven't completely moved over. The PPSE is still my daily...the one I pull out because it's most productive and reliable still. But ... I suspect the transition will happen in the next few months
    06-04-22 10:28 AM
    I've also still been using my Passport but swap the phone card with an android device (P30). Recently I've found a way to install Sailfish v4 on an old x86 tablet I have for experimenting, and I'm impressed with what they have done as well. I've read that they have plans to expand to North America soon but who knows if and when that will really happen. It performs beautifully even on an old Windows 8 tablet with 2 Gb ram.
    06-04-22 02:21 PM
    I can't believe I'm still running my Passport, especially since I'd been "trialing" an iPhone for the past couple of years in anticipation of the big meltdown. At a company event the other day my coworkers literally keeled over when they saw me whip out my BlackBerry to check my email. I know it's inevitable given that more and essential services are requiring mobile apps. (And by essential, I don't mean Facebook and Uber Eats, I mean public health, banking and the like).

While I still retain the iPhone "just in case", I pulled the plug on that transition. While I like the privacy attitude (real or imagined?), I couldn't deal with the way Apple handled other matters. The workflow, the lack of SD card slot, no headphone jack, the screen notch...
    I still like my Windows 10 Mobile devices, great hardware and wonderful to use despite (because of?) its little quirks and bugs, but that faces the same limitation as BlackBerry. While the significantly better browser carried the day for a while, more and more web sites seem to be explicitly checking for Safari or Chrome.

So of course that really just leaves Android (until Sailfish gets its act together and makes itself available to the rest of the world). I'd been trying some really old Android/Lineage devices for a while to get an idea of how to better protect myself (oh so painful!). Originally I was going to grab a Titan Pocket, but then at the last minute there was the "What else could I get for my $299 USD?" thought that came to mind. And surprisingly, that led me to used LG phones. Many of the recent models can be picked up for less than $299, I even snagged a V50 for less than $200. Refurbished, but looks brand new to me. Amazingly, they are still getting OS updates! Yes, they have a notch, but LG kindly provided a toggle option to deal with that. Other than that, it checks off most of the other boxes (even headphone jack with quad-DAC!). As a bonus, their suite of email & calendar apps don't appear to contain any known trackers so that saves me from having to sort through other "safe" options. The V50 is just a tad wide for me for one-handed use but the G8 should hit that mark nicely.
    If you're willing to forego the latest OS (Android 8 or 9 depending on the model), you can even snag a V20 device which will net you removable battery (plenty of inexpensive replacements on Amazon) with metal back and even IR remote. For around $100 USD, I'd take that over any of the Unihertz.

However, I still admit I haven't completely moved over. The PPSE is still my daily...the one I pull out because it's most productive and reliable still. But ... I suspect the transition will happen in the next few months
    BIG DOG sends a WOOF ! ! You will notice the BIG DOG is having a cup of java in her Crackberry mug!
    Attached Thumbnails Still haven't transitioned fully off my Passport-img_20170805_172000.jpg  
    06-06-22 09:31 AM
    I've also still been using my Passport but swap the phone card with an android device (P30). Recently I've found a way to install Sailfish v4 on an old x86 tablet I have for experimenting, and I'm impressed with what they have done as well. I've read that they have plans to expand to North America soon but who knows if and when that will really happen. It performs beautifully even on an old Windows 8 tablet with 2 Gb ram.
    They have had "plans" for years...

Jolla's main customer was Russia.... it was only after that "partnership" that the company for the first time reported any "profitability". I know Jolla has made the statement that Sailfish is not used in Russia (it's called Aurora OS there), and they also stated they no longer have any active business or exports to Russia. But they admitted ownership was still an issue that they were trying to find a solution for. At one time Votron / Rostelecom owned 61% of Jolla Oy... which makes it a Russian company and not a Finnish one. Will the other investors buy them out?

And in the end, where are their revenues now? I know that Jolla was turning it's attention towards automotive....
    06-06-22 09:53 AM