I have one of these cases and really like it but it has one little problem. On two separate occasions I have sent my BB Passport back to RIM because my screen kept blacking out. It was random and would usually correct itself anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. On both occasions RIM sent my phone back to me saying that they had reloaded the software but couldn't really find anything wrong with the phone.

After the phone came back to me the second time it went for a few weeks then all of a sudden there is the same old problem coming back to haunt me. Blanked out screen. Wait a while and bingo its back. Finally it dawned on me that this problem was only occurring when I was using the Stilgut leather book case. I have a swivel holster style case and a hard back shell case but the blacking out never occurs when I use these cases or if the phone has no case on it.

I have played around with the Stilgut case and found that when the front cover is flipped open and folded to the back of the phone the blacking out happens. If I just leave it like that the screen will eventually come back or if I move the front cover away from the back the screen will come back immediately. So at least now I know how to remedy the problem.

My question is though, has anyone else every come across this type of situation and if so do they know what exactly would cause the phenomenon?
    11-19-15 09:03 PM
    Maybe the Stilgut case has a really strong magnet in it...
    11-19-15 09:15 PM
    I have this case and zero issues! I've had the case for 2 months now! However I have gotten random rebooting, rare but has happened! Thats it.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 09:15 PM
    The only time I've had the screen blank out is when something metal is underneath. Otherwise, I've never experience the blank screen issue.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 09:16 PM
    Have had this case since I got the Passport OG on launch. No issues whatsoever and for my needs, best case!!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport SR, OS
    11-19-15 09:26 PM
    Yes it has a magnet. It can sometimes blank your screen when you fold it back, as it does when you normally close the cover.
    If you do not want it to blank your screen, just keep it open.
    Note that it does not always blank your screen when you fold it back.
    11-19-15 10:49 PM
    Your probably right about the magnet. Makes sense now. I do like the case but it was driving me nuts till I finally figured it out. Obviously RIM didn't have a clue. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    11-20-15 03:37 PM
    Your probably right about the magnet. Makes sense now. I do like the case but it was driving me nuts till I finally figured it out. Obviously RIM didn't have a clue. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure if you're aware, but BlackBerrys for years have had a sleep magnet function where when placed in a holster with a properly placed magnet, it would put the phone in sleep mode to save battery. This sounds like what the magnet on your case was doing.

"RIM didn't have a clue" because there wasn't anything wrong with the phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 04:38 PM
    Ive had the case for a while and I've never had the issue

Posted from my Passport
    11-20-15 05:10 PM
    Maybe its the operator and not BB???
    11-20-15 05:14 PM
    Thanks. I was waiting for that. End of story now is that at least I know.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 05:16 PM