Hi all. Just received a Stilgut leather case for my Passport and thought I'd share my thoughts on it. I've been obsessed with finding the right case for my phones for years and have tried them all on my Z10, Z30 and now the Passport. The Blackberry flip case for the Z30 was very nice and I used it most of the time. I've been using the BB hard case and really like it too for a minimalistic case, but the problems with just having the back and sides protected have been well documented on this forum - including pocket dials, swipe to wake sensitivity, screen protection, etc.. I've always liked a case with a front cover and sleep magnet which eliminated these problems and provided better battery life as well. I got the black one (although the brown leather one looked nice too) from a seller in the U.S. on eBay.com and it was shipped from Stilgut in Lexington Kentucky (I'm in Vancouver). The price was $58.49 U.S. plus $9.98 shipping and $9.34 import charges for a total of $77.81 U.S.. I noticed the price from Amazon.UK would have been roughly the same after converting from British pounds plus shipping, and by paying the import duty up front it came directly to my mailbox very quickly without being held up at customs. It is really beautiful - really quality build. It grips the PP on the vertical sides, leaving the top and bottom open for the power button, audio jack, microphones and charging socket. There's a cut out on the right side for the volume and mute buttons. It's also held on by the four corners going across diagonally a bit on the back of the phone so it's secure but still easy to pop off. It's width is almost exactly the same as the hard case, so it will fit into any shirt pocket the hard case will, which is most. In fact, because the hard case has a rubbery feeling back, the Stilgut leather case slips in and out a little easier. Front to back the case is 1/2" or roughly 13mm thick with the phone in it, adding about 3/16" or 5mm to the thickness over the hard case. Sleep magnet works well. The front to back hinge is soft quality leather so it folds backwards very nicely. Hole for red notification led is in the right place but because of the thickness of the front cover it doesn't show up too well. If someone really wanted to make it more noticeable I suppose you could punch out a bigger hole, as long as you don't cut the stitching along the edge. A really nice touch that the BB Z30 case had was a cut-out at the bottom to accommodate the microphone, as well as one at the top for the speaker so you could use the phone with the case closed. The Stilgut case has the cutout for the speaker but not one for the microphone. Not sure where the microphone is one the PP, thought it's along the bottom edge of the space button on the keyboard, but in any case I've tested it and with the front closed and outgoing calls are clear so not having a cutout doesn't seem to be a problem. All in all a really nice case. Hope this helps other people trying to decide on a case, and if anybody from Blackberry is reading this, you would be well advised to make a deal with Stilgut to make your cases so as to match the quality of your phone.
    Anilu7 and BURZIN like this.
    11-26-14 07:26 PM
    Appreciate the review - I've been debating between Noreve (a bit pricey), Tetded and Stilgut.
    11-26-14 08:21 PM
    What is a sleep magnet?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    11-26-14 08:22 PM
    Also very nice case

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    11-26-14 08:24 PM
    I have one. Its much better than the oem flip. If the Vaja case had a cutout for the LED I would get it
    11-26-14 08:51 PM
    If you go to settings-display there are two settings - "Screen Timeout" and "Swipe to Wake". The screen timeout setting is the same as the old screen saver setting that was on computer monitors before LCD screens made them unnecessary. On the BB you can set how many seconds after you stop using the phone that you want the screen to shut down (go to black) to save battery consumption. That's the "Screen Timeout" setting. The "Swipe to Wake" setting allows the phone to be reawakened by swiping a finger on the screen. If you disable it you have to push the power button each time you want to wake the phone up. It will go to sleep depending on what you have set on the screen timeout setting. The "S to W" function is a nice one except that it can be annoying when you put the phone in your pocket you can easily accidentally touch the screen and keep waking the phone up when you don't want to. It's also the main cause of accidentally making phone calls (the old "pocket dialing" problem) because the phone can be made hot when it's in your pocket. When you get a flip case like the Stilgut, the official BB case, or similar higher-end cases, it will have a small magnet about the size of a dime placed so that when you close it it goes over the sensor, automatically putting the screen to sleep. That way you don't need the other two settings. You can set the timeout to something like 1 minute or more and disable the "S to W" option completely. Every time you open the case the screen will immediately turn on and stay on as long as you are either using the phone or until the setting you set for timeout is reached. This is really a nice feature and saves a lot of battery power. With the hard case you either have to push the power button every time you want to wake up the phone, which can be a pain if you turn the phone on and off a lot and also comprises some wear and tear on the button, or you have to set the wake time to a relatively low setting like 20 or 30 seconds so the phone doesn't stay on any longer than necessary. It kind of depends on how you use the phone as to what you prefer. I've always liked the automatic sleep function of the magnet. When you buy an after-market phone case that has a front cover you have to make sure it has the sleep magnet. Many of the cheaper ones don't.
    11-26-14 09:12 PM
    Hey Rick, let's use paragraphs next time. Very hard to read walls of text.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 10:05 PM
    Sorry. Guess I got carried away.
    hpjrt and mister2d like this.
    11-27-14 10:54 AM
    Pictures would have been nice.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 12:23 PM
    Stilgut (dot) com

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 12:23 AM
    Please post pics!?

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 03:26 AM
    Good feedback and nice to see reviews on cases etc.

Ordered mine prior to ordering the phone and still waiting (getting delivered from europe). Phone turned up a week ahead of schedule which was a nice surprise. Not the cheapest case but plan on having this phone for a LONG time so worth it in my mind.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 05:31 AM
    Please post pics!?

Posted via CB10
    On this thread (posts #30 et 45):
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...99/index2.html
    11-30-14 06:45 AM
    http://www.stilgut.com/products/blackberry/passport/

Found it. Thanks! :-D

Stilgut flip case review-blackberry-passport-huelle-schwn-01_stilgut.jpg

? ? ? Zzzzwipetyped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    11-30-14 03:26 PM
    The corners seem to be looked after much better by the BlackBerry hard shell, ... mmmmhhh, is there no ideal solution... :-(

Stilgut flip case review-hardshell_slot.jpg

Stilgut flip case review-blackberry_passport_hard_shell_top.jpg

? ? ? Zzzzwipetyped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    11-30-14 03:36 PM
    Mine arrived this morning, posted pics in another thread. With the small addition I think it looks great!

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post11125838
    12-01-14 08:48 AM