I've been trying to decide whether or not I should finally leave Verizon. I've been with them for many years because in my region, they have historically been shown to have the best coverage with the least dropped calls, etc. But now I'm thinking seriously about moving to AT&T to get the Passport. It appears Verizon will not be getting the Passport and I know some of you have made the switch for the same reason. How has that worked out for you so far?
    12-27-14 10:30 AM
    I know all areas may be different but have had zero issues going from Verizon to ATT. Easy decision here.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 10:36 AM
    Are you interested in the Classic? Verizon will be getting that.

Personally, I would never sacrifice coverage over device choice. But I'm on a GSM carrier, so it's easier choice to still keep using BBs than someone on a CDMA carrier.
    12-27-14 10:50 AM
    I know all areas may be different but have had zero issues going from Verizon to ATT. Easy decision here.

Posted via CB10
    Will second this, I live in a college town on the East Coast. Verizon is supposed to be The Carrier for the east coast, yet I had nonstop dropped calls before switching to AT&T and the Passport. Now, my service is impeccable and solid!

I believe it depends on where you live, however my recommendation is this:

Buy a Passport and try it with an AT&T GoPhone SIM... if the service is good, keep it. If not, return the Passport for a full refund and just don't refill the SIM. That's what I did... Couldn't be happier I switched!

Omnia>i3G>9630>9650>Droid Pro>9650>9930>i4S>i5>i5S>Passport
    12-27-14 01:36 PM
    Go with a GSM carrier and never have to miss out on a device again.

ATT has good coverage anyway.

Posted via CB10
    NtotheK likes this.
    12-27-14 01:41 PM
    I'm on the east coast, actually more near Canada(way upstate NY), and like someone above me posted, Verizon is supposed to be THE carrier for the east coast. I actually find in my neck of the woods, AT&T just plain works. My brother in law has big red, and he has service in places I don't(mainly indoors), and I have service where he doesn't.
    12-27-14 03:10 PM
    I'm on the east coast, actually more near Canada(way upstate NY), and like someone above me posted, Verizon is supposed to be THE carrier for the east coast. I actually find in my neck of the woods, AT&T just plain works. My brother in law has big red, and he has service in places I don't(mainly indoors), and I have service where he doesn't.
    Yep, this was my experience too. When I lived in NH, people claimed that Verizon was best and AT&T was rubbish, but I found that AT&T was great almost everywhere. Verizon worked better in some regions, and AT&T in others.

For the OP: Canvas AT&T users around where you live, and see if they have any serious coverage issues. If not, switch!
    bbvj likes this.
    12-27-14 04:03 PM
    Verizon has their customers convinced that no one else has good coverage. Simply not True. VZW certainly has great coverage but so do others.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 05:47 PM
    Went to straight talk months ago after getting tired of contract rape. Same service as at&t, no data limits, no anything limits actually. I've read people get slowed down to 3g speeds if they abuse the data but I watch youtube and am on this thing all day no issues. When I'm at home I'm on wifi anyways. I don't understand why everyone isn't switching to them. I get lte speeds with the passport. Only 45 a month for unlimited everything.

Posted via CB10
    saxxman likes this.
    12-27-14 06:04 PM
    If network coverage is about the same I would get a passport. However if you don't feel like switching carriers I would consider the classic if your looking for a keyboard. Good luck with your decision

Posted via CB10
    bbvj likes this.
    12-27-14 06:15 PM
    You could try Cricket wireless too. It would work great with the Passport. I am using it for the Z30 Sta100-5. It was not made for AT&T yet I never get less than HSPA+. That is fine by me. It would only be better with the Passport. Cricket merged with AIO and was bought out by AT&T. There are also Cricket stores if you need help.

If it's about payment for the phone, I understand. Then Verizon and AT&T are your best bet.

My advice is. If you think you are fine using both hands almost all the time, the Passport is tough to beat.

Posted via CB10
    bbvj likes this.
    12-27-14 06:16 PM
    I switched from Verizon to ATT for the Passport and haven't looked back, very happy with it.

Posted via CB10
    bbvj likes this.
    12-27-14 06:28 PM
    I have been very happy with AT&T and have been with them for about 4 years now. Passport works great with them as well. I never have coverage issues here is SC.

Passport on AT&T
    12-27-14 06:28 PM
    From what I have heard about AT&T vs Verizon coverage, ATT is great in main cities and interstate freeways. Verizon is great for remote areas. I have been waiting for years for VZW to launch in Alaska. But I am staying with ATT because verizon has too much control. They told me I needed a device with Advanced Calling feature to keep my Alaskan number even though I am in AZ! Wha?? Brought in a Verizon BlackBerry Q10. Oh well. The rest of the world is GSM anyways. I can't wait for ATT to come out with the Passport and I am getting very impatient!
    12-27-14 06:36 PM
    Can you still get a new Z30 from Verizon? I thought they discontinued it.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 06:41 PM
    Verizon has their customers convinced that no one else has good coverage. Simply not True. VZW certainly has great coverage but so do others.
    Except it's not just Verizon who's saying that overall they are better:

RootMetrics: In study of 52 markets, Verizon leads on maximum sustained downlink speeds, followed by T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint - FierceWireless

The RootMetrics Midyear Mobile Network Performance Report | RootMetrics
    bbvj likes this.
    12-27-14 06:59 PM
    Worked out great..left big red for t-mobile when I purchased the passport and the LTE in the tampa bay area has been flawless.absolutely zero regrets

Posted via CB10
    bbvj likes this.
    12-27-14 07:10 PM
    Can you still get a new Z30 from Verizon? I thought they discontinued it.
    They did, for a while. It's back now: BlackBerry Z30 | Verizon Wireless
    bbvj likes this.
    12-27-14 08:04 PM
    I feel that when AT&T and if other carriers can be convinced to carry the passport, Sales will increase for sure. Once you try the Passport it's hard to imagine using any other Smartphone! Just the wider screen alone is such a joy to use. A lot of people don't believe that the extra screen space makes any difference, but boy does it ever. Don't listen to the idiots that say the Passport is ugly. Just look at the pics of the All black version and the white or Red version. That is one great looking phone. And the stainless steel rib makes sure it won't bend on you LOL.
    12-27-14 08:43 PM

Personally, I would never sacrifice coverage over device choice. But I'm on a GSM carrier, so it's easier choice to still keep using BBs than someone on a CDMA carrier.
    Yes I know, but I'm not really interested in the Classic. But you make a good point re GSM v CDMA, which should probably be my key decision point. Thanks.
    12-27-14 11:27 PM
    I feel that when AT&T and if other carriers can be convinced to carry the passport, Sales will increase for sure. Once you try the Passport it's hard to imagine using any other Smartphone! Just the wider screen alone is such a joy to use. A lot of people don't believe that the extra screen space makes any difference, but boy does it ever. Don't listen to the idiots that say the Passport is ugly. Just look at the pics of the All black version and the white or Red version. That is one great looking phone. And the stainless steel rib makes sure it won't bend on you LOL.
    Thanks, but I'm already sold on the Passport itself. That's why I was really hoping VZW would pick it up, if they did I can say without hesitation I'd have one already!
    12-27-14 11:34 PM

Classic really doesn't have any comparability to Passport. Passport is the future.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 11:51 PM
    Classic really doesn't have any comparability to Passport. Passport is the future.
    Perhaps. Verizon doesn't seem to agree.
    12-27-14 11:56 PM
    Switch. Did it. No regrets.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 12:46 AM
    As others have said. Choose your carrier FIRST based on coverage. Then choose your plan, device, etc.

Go...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-28-14 05:04 AM
26 12