Can you put a boot up password on the passport, like on a pc before you even boot to the OS?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 10:07 PM
    Can you put a boot up password on the passport, like on a pc before you even boot to the OS?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    By default if you have a password on your device its locked upon bootup

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 10:14 PM
    You can

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 10:16 PM
    That does not show emails etc... I just want a black screen, so it it was picked up or stolen no sensitive information would be seen.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 10:17 PM
    That does not show emails etc... I just want a black screen, so it it was picked up or stolen no sensitive information would be seen.

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't, unless you have lockscreen previews enabled.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    01-28-15 11:06 PM
    It doesn't, unless you have lockscreen previews enabled.
    So if you like lockscreen previews, the answer is 'no' unless you are willing to either sacrifice that functionality or you play with the settings right before you shut down and after you boot up, which is inconvenient and will occasionally be forgotten.

Also, what if you have a picture of you and your wife and kids in front of your house as your lockscreen? That is potentially sensitive information. Tippytoppy wants a blank screen and *zero* functionality until a password is entered. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
    01-29-15 07:07 AM

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Go into security settings and you can set a password upon wake! Can be picture also!

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 11:13 AM
    Sorry, if one is truly security-conscious, there should be no distinction between a phone that displays no information on startup and one that displays no information during operation after expiry of the lock timer. Why leave the phone in a less secured state when it is "being used"? I suppose the distinction may be pertinent if a user could guarantee continuous possession of their phone, but it's human nature to lose phones. Furthermore, I think very few users actually power down their phones.

I used to turn off lockscreen preview, but since 10.3 I have it set to show the sender as a reasonable compromise. Combined with multiple email accounts, each with a custom LED profile, I can triage my email without message preview.
    01-29-15 11:37 AM
    Let me turn that question around: why wouldn't one want to leave the phone in a more secure state when it is not being used?

With respect, not everybody uses their phone the same way you do, and a truly security conscious user would want MORE options to secure their device, whether it is applicable to every use case or not. You should not be forced to compromise, if you want to turn the phone off and have a boot password as an extra security precaution, that option should be open to you.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 05:18 PM
    Also, I've never lost a phone in nearly 20 years

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 05:22 PM
    Let me turn that question around: why wouldn't one want to leave the phone in a more secure state when it is not being used?

With respect, not everybody uses their phone the same way you do, and a truly security conscious user would want MORE options to secure their device, whether it is applicable to every use case or not. You should not be forced to compromise, if you want to turn the phone off and have a boot password as an extra security precaution, that option should be open to you.

Posted via CB10
    I don't want my phone in a more secure state when first powered on than when the lock timer engages because I want it to be equally secure in "either" locked state. If not, then the idea of a locked state can be illusory, if it's not the "correct" state.

As for the display of wallpaper in the locked state, 10.3 brought the ability to set a separate image for the lockscreen. In practice, I find that the implementation is flawed when picture password is used. It will briefly display my regular wallpaper before jumping to the picture password image. Hopefully this has been corrected in a 10.3.1 build.

01-30-15 11:19 AM
    Disable lockscreen information and chose a dark wallpaper ;-)

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.932; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    01-30-15 11:33 AM
    This depends also how your BES security settings are set up when my phone is locked all I get is locked Message notification.
    I also locked Balance so that even if someone does ick it up they require a password to read any of my messages private or work
    Have you also set encryption so that the Media card contents are encrypted as well as the device
    01-30-15 03:05 PM
    ZzzzczZz

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 03:33 AM
    It seems like you're using the assumption that the user is not competent to ensure the phone is in an appropriate state (powered off or locked) as justification for not having a feature. Let's assume you're right and there are no legitimate use cases where users want to have private data on their lockscreen but want to be able to turn the phone off for extra security (which I don't believe, but for the sake of argument...). Another good reason for a boot password is to authenticate the user while the system's attack surface is small -- ie before the operating system has loaded. This reduces the risk of undiscovered vulnerabilities being exploited to bypass regular system security if your device is stolen.

I agree with you that locking the device *should* be enough but I don't see those as reasons to argue for less flexibility in how a user uses and secures their device.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 08:34 AM
    It seems like you're using the assumption that the user is not competent to ensure the phone is in an appropriate state (powered off or locked) as justification for not having a feature. Let's assume you're right and there are no legitimate use cases where users want to have private data on their lockscreen but want to be able to turn the phone off for extra security (which I don't believe, but for the sake of argument...). Another good reason for a boot password is to authenticate the user while the system's attack surface is small -- ie before the operating system has loaded. This reduces the risk of undiscovered vulnerabilities being exploited to bypass regular system security if your device is stolen.

I agree with you that locking the device *should* be enough but I don't see those as reasons to argue for less flexibility in how a user uses and secures their device.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not against having such a feature per se, but I think it's not in BlackBerry's best interests as this time to spend their limited resources to implement it. I think this is far beyond what the OP had in mind with their original request, and is likely off most people's radar. For example, I was issued a loaner iPhone set up to display message previews and protected by a four digit PIN while working in an industry where confidentiality is paramount.

A separate power on password is likely to be implemented by the NSA for use by their personnel, CIA staff and the POTUS.

02-01-15 06:51 PM