imagine if they dropped all other products and just produced the passport.....ah well. some of their products were definitely duds, as are the bb-mobile products

Posted via CBX
    01-12-18 04:22 PM
    OP, you still might wanna consider getting a Black Edition KEYone. Sure it's no Passport, but it'll run all the apps you ever need, much more smoothly than the Passport ever could. I did mention Black Edition because it has the extra RAM (and double the storage), so that plus turning down animations in developer options will ensure a fairly smooth phone.
    I have Passports and k1 black, other than a few apps PP far superior and different breed, unfair to compare the two. Just the other day I was in a back office, and got tired of waiting for Web page to load on kone so flipped open on PP and bam, page loaded as I looked over at kone just then finished loading plus mic and is superior on PP and I often have calls saying they cannot hear me on the kone until I get my mouth positioned ever so correctly. K1 is cute and adorable and fun but it ain't in the same class as PP.

Posted via CB10
    falbo, ARQ-Keighley, Qorax and 1 others like this.
    01-12-18 09:08 PM

Well it's not as bad as I thought , added BBC news, BBC sport, BBC iplayer, Facebook Pro,Nobex, Twitter and LinkedIn 10 and CB10

Posted via CB10
    Nice story from a Passporter.

BTW, how do you get LinkIn to work? Is it a client you are using (with hub integration)? The native LinkIn app stopped on my Passport since Jan. 1st as LinkIn killed it.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-18 07:15 AM
    Hi

I downloaded it from Blackberry World.. It's called... Linked 10 for LinkedIn

Hope it works for you to

Cheers

Simon

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    01-13-18 07:22 AM
    Brilliant post. I used BlackBerry for years before moving to Apple and Samsung. I bought a Priv which is quite slow and I have just ordered a Passport. Can't wait to get it!

Sorry may I ask what is "pkb"?
    01-15-18 09:04 AM
    Brilliant post. I used BlackBerry for years before moving to Apple and Samsung. I bought a Priv which is quite slow and I have just ordered a Passport. Can't wait to get it!

krunchy peanut butter.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 09:23 AM
    krunchy peanut butter.

Posted via CBX
    Physical Keyboard
    adriancheok likes this.
    01-15-18 09:23 AM

Physical keyboard.
    01-15-18 09:24 AM

Backlit keys, scrolling function on keyboard.
    Qorax and adriancheok like this.
    01-15-18 09:36 AM

Backlit keys, scrolling function on keyboard.
    That was a terrible review I could not watch anymore, I had to close it.
    I could do a better review than that.

Hello the "I" and the "O" make the Web page zoom "in" and "Out".

When typing he was very slow and actually hit the delete button several times in place of swiping to the left.
    01-16-18 12:51 PM
    Why eliminate row of keys or less screen? The phone, as-is, has the same footprint, size-wise as my A30 Plus. I can fit both in my front pocket for when I dual carry. Most people don't want to give up screen real-estate for no reason.
    Because the phone is too long. Designwise phones with non-1:1 screens with PKB are ugly, cumbersome and top heavy, nose diving when you type. You also want to use PKB for most things when you operate the phone and having a tall screen forces you to take off thumbs all the time in order to tap the screen and swipe from top.

Ideal PKB phone design is candybar (non-slider) with 1:1 or 4:3 screen and OS that favours operating from the lower part of the screen (swipe, buttons, trackball, or keyboard swipes, long or double press). Passport came close, it should have been just a half-inch narrower so it could be operated one-handed.

Screen real estate is overrated. It should be better used with proper GUI design, not made bigger and bigger with slabs you can play table tennis with. But design is hard and making screens larger is easy, so here we are now.
    BerryRipe, Qorax and adriancheok like this.
    01-20-18 05:44 PM
    Because the phone is too long. Designwise phones with non-1:1 screens with PKB are ugly, cumbersome and top heavy, nose diving when you type. You also want to use PKB for most things when you operate the phone and having a tall screen forces you to take off thumbs all the time in order to tap the screen and swipe from top.

Ideal PKB phone design is candybar (non-slider) with 1:1 or 4:3 screen and OS that favours operating from the lower part of the screen (swipe, buttons, trackball, or keyboard swipes, long or double press). Passport came close, it should have been just a half-inch narrower so it could be operated one-handed.

Screen real estate is overrated. It should be better used with proper GUI design, not made bigger and bigger with slabs you can play table tennis with. But design is hard and making screens larger is easy, so here we are now.
    Most of the planet disagrees but OK.
    01-20-18 06:07 PM
    My BlackBerry Journey started in December 2014 with a trip to Selfridges in London, big change for a Sony Android man
    Once I had tried a Passport I just had to have one, left with a White one..great device, upgraded to a SE after a year

Tried to turn both of these phones into a Android (via snap or Cobalts app) , over time this was never going to work

Android apps either ran slow, or lagged....with regret I sold it

For a while I ran two Blackberries, the Passport as a second phone
    And a droid BlackBerry

Well

Priv..I was one of the first to buy, was awful, poor build awful PKB

Dtek60.. Wife and I both had these, good phone, underrated, just poor battery....better than Motion in many ways, screen, looks and speed....Best of the BlackBerry Androids

Keyone..such high hopes, mini passport... but it's not. For me screen is to small, without switching on developer opition it lags, hold in the wrong place and phone signal drops....yes it has many plus points but far from brilliant .PS my screen was rock solid

SO

For now my BlackBerry Android journey is over, yes I own an Android, a Google XL and it is brilliant but...no pkb

SO

Bought a new Passport ( not many left) arrived Sunday..first thing I thought was just how good it looked, not owned a Black one before,

The keyboard felt superb..for me best keyboard ever.....now this time I promised not to turn it into a half Android , just use as a brilliant email device

I would only use apps from Blackberry World or Amazon app store
    Expectations were very very low

Well it's not as bad as I thought , added BBC news, BBC sport, BBC iplayer, Facebook Pro,Nobex, Twitter and LinkedIn 10 and CB10
    Then from Amazon apps..TV catchup, Kindle for Android, Telegraph ( excellent) AOL, Ebay, Candy Crush and two I did not expect...Realtime stocks and XE currency ...
    Is Amazon better than it used to be ? Some of the above I am sure we're not there before

This is not the full list..but far better than I thought, what is good, no lag,..it runs really well

Is that because I have not added Google Play Store? I will never know.

Just know using this Keyboard is better than ever , so pleased I gave the Passport another try

A brilliant business phone, the best for email, great battery, currency and stocks and shares apps...spot on

Cheers

A happy Passport owner

Posted via CB10
    BB10 runs absolutely perfectly on old hardware if you're able to stay away from Android apps. I have removed Google Play, closed the Amazon App Store, and deleted all apps installed from APKs. The only (unavoidably) slow thing on my five year old Z10 is, increasingly, the browser experience. That's likely a combination of slower download speeds compared to newer phones and slower processing of Web graphics and Javascript.

But, accepting it's limitations, my Z10 without Android is a lean, mean business machine. I have the fantastic KEYone when I need it, but the Z10 is better for most of what I need to do.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Qorax likes this.
    01-20-18 06:25 PM
    Most of the planet disagrees but OK.
    Most of the planet disagrees with PKB phone full stop. You asked why would someone sacrifice screen real estate when making one and I gave my opinion. Most of the people I know who still cling to PKB phones think pretty much the same.

The only point of difference is perhaps the slider. Priv is pretty horrid due to all the points I mentioned above, but you could use a slider to increase screen size on a really small phone. Think original Palm Pre and Veer; I really enjoyed those. World would be a better place if we have options like those now
    Qorax and adriancheok like this.
    01-20-18 06:31 PM
    Most of the planet disagrees with PKB phone full stop. You asked why would someone sacrifice screen real estate when making one and I gave my opinion. Most of the people I know who still cling to PKB phones think pretty much the same.

The only point of difference is perhaps the slider. Priv is pretty horrid due to all the points I mentioned above, but you could use a slider to increase screen size on a really small phone. Think original Palm Pre and Veer; I really enjoyed those. World would be a better place if we have options like those now
    Well the sales of PKB devices in recent years seems to contradict YOUR observations. Not sure how small phones make the planet a better place as they're just phones but OK. I'm trusting internal data of phone OEMs to know what's going to sell the best and interpreting that as what people want. Seriously, any manufacturer is going to choose what should be the best seller based on data, much of it proprietary, internal data.
    01-20-18 07:11 PM
    Well the sales of PKB devices in recent years seems to contradict YOUR observations. Not sure how small phones make the planet a better place as they're just phones but OK. I'm trusting internal data of phone OEMs...
    Ah, the internal data of the years past. Missed that.
    01-20-18 07:21 PM
    Social IM for Telegram in BlackBerry World works well for me.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-18 07:37 PM
    Well the sales of PKB devices in recent years seems to contradict YOUR observations. Not sure how small phones make the planet a better place as they're just phones but OK. I'm trusting internal data of phone OEMs to know what's going to sell the best and interpreting that as what people want. Seriously, any manufacturer is going to choose what should be the best seller based on data, much of it proprietary, internal data.
    Not sure how accurate any data would be when the shift from physical keyboard to full touch by iPhone began when Blackberry let things go and ignored the future of touch screen, which could have been incorporated into their design with the Passport and KEYᵒⁿᵉ as examples. When iPhone exploded into the market every OEM went touch screen with the select few models that did not have the functionality the keyboards have today. It was the new best thing that has never been done. IPhone was the phone to beat and every manufacturer went with that design for fear of failure.

Now that Blackberry reinvented the wheel with the new touch keyboards I thing this is going to be a brand new test but it will obviously be an up hill climb since people tend to resist change or are ignorant of Thing they once knew and how they have changed.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    01-21-18 08:45 AM
    Not sure how accurate any data would be when the shift from physical keyboard to full touch by iPhone began when Blackberry let things go and ignored the future of touch screen, which could have been incorporated into their design with the Passport and KEYᵒⁿᵉ as examples. When iPhone exploded into the market every OEM went touch screen with the select few models that did not have the functionality the keyboards have today. It was the new best thing that has never been done. IPhone was the phone to beat and every manufacturer went with that design for fear of failure.

Now that Blackberry reinvented the wheel with the new touch keyboards I thing this is going to be a brand new test but it will obviously be an up hill climb since people tend to resist change or are ignorant of Thing they once knew and how they have changed.

Posted via CB10
    Do you remember the BB Storm from 2008? They didn't ignore the VKB. They ignored the corresponding ecosystem at time. BBOS was, at time a more robust ecosystem, but didn't have the incentive to move from BBOS and it's limitations. Giving up BIS/BES software revenue stream meant they'd never be incentivized. Android/IOS disrupted everything BBOS did as business model from every direction.

Think of BB getting diagnosed with terminal cancer. With best treatments, some amputation was still necessary. The problem was BBOS was not a healthy business model since BB couldn't replace the software revenues because Android/IOS let's the carriers sell the data and more of it. BBOS was compressing the carrier data revenue and then making the carrier pass some of that on to BB. Simply put, the business model needed replacing in the eyes of all the other players except BB.
    Qorax likes this.
    01-21-18 09:49 AM
    Do you remember the BB Storm from 2008? They didn't ignore the VKB. They ignored the corresponding ecosystem at time. BBOS was, at time a more robust ecosystem, but didn't have the incentive to move from BBOS and it's limitations. Giving up BIS/BES software revenue stream meant they'd never be incentivized. Android/IOS disrupted everything BBOS did as business model from every direction.

Think of BB getting diagnosed with terminal cancer. With best treatments, some amputation was still necessary. The problem was BBOS was not a healthy business model since BB couldn't replace the software revenues because Android/IOS let's the carriers sell the data and more of it. BBOS was compressing the carrier data revenue and then making the carrier pass some of that on to BB. Simply put, the business model needed replacing in the eyes of all the other players except BB.
    OK I guess you could say they didn't ignore it but played catch up with a rushed, half baked and failed design (the storm) which only hurt their image more. Touch screen was a thing for many years already only difference is apple made it better and capitalized on it first.

It took BlackBerry 7 years after iphone to come out with their first real full touch phone the z10

They ignored many things and that's why we are here.
    To put it simply
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 01-21-18 at 11:22 AM.
    01-21-18 10:34 AM
    Do you remember the BB Storm from 2008? They didn't ignore the VKB.
    But they did ignore what made the VKB good.
    01-21-18 10:48 AM
    Actually they did ignore it and played catch wife the rush and failed design of the storm which only hurt their image more. They ignored many things and that's why we are here.
    To put it simply
    It wouldn't have mattered. They did not have a revenue source or the economic resources was my point. Similar to why Andy sold Android to Google. In 2005, BB was small compared to Apple, Google and Microsoft. It was in no position to battle with the big three.
    01-21-18 11:53 AM
    It wouldn't have mattered. They did not have a revenue source or the economic resources was my point. Similar to why Andy sold Android to Google. In 2005, BB was small compared to Apple, Google and Microsoft. It was in no position to battle with the big three.
    Well I guess that all depends on when they would have /could have acted. They had plenty of cash when iPhone came out. Everyone knows they sat on their hands for ways to long.

Now they have a new technology in keyboard design that flows with the all touch screen and this could potentially becomes the next evolution or a rival to the norm. That is my point
    Qorax and Mecca EL like this.
    01-21-18 12:59 PM
    Well I guess that all depends on when they would have /could have acted. They had plenty of cash when iPhone came out. Everyone knows they sat on their hands for ways to long.

Now they have a new technology in keyboard design that flows with the all touch screen and this could potentially becomes the next evolution or a rival to the norm. That is my point
    Their cash position compared to big three was 10% of the big three average cash position back then. Each of the big three has alternative revenue source to feed and supplement hardware development. The BBOS WAS BB revenue source and if BB moved away, like in 2013, it's like cutting off your oxygen source. From inception to now, other than BBOS, there never was alternative revenue source to support non-BBOS hardware. It's the same problem that Microsoft has developing and supporting a mobile OS and minus the giant piles of cash that Microsoft has.

If anything was salvageable or expandable, Microsoft could and would have purchased BB for the loose change that Bill Gates has in his GIANT pockets.

Each customer paid $5/month-$25/month($60-$300)per year to BB through carrier service plan. That's in addition to whatever customer actually paid for device through old subsidized two year contracts since $99-199 BB devices were really $399-$499 off contract back then.

Through everything, other than Apple using similar business model with it's ecosystem and iTunes, can you name anyone that's been profitable with just hardware since 2012?

The money is all in the software and if they can monetize the KB great.
    Laura Knotek and elfabio80 like this.
    01-21-18 01:27 PM
    My BlackBerry Journey started in December 2014 with a trip to Selfridges in London, big change for a Sony Android man
    Once I had tried a Passport I just had to have one, left with a White one..great device, upgraded to a SE after a year

Tried to turn both of these phones into a Android (via snap or Cobalts app) , over time this was never going to work

Android apps either ran slow, or lagged....with regret I sold it

For a while I ran two Blackberries, the Passport as a second phone
    And a droid BlackBerry

Well

Priv..I was one of the first to buy, was awful, poor build awful PKB

Dtek60.. Wife and I both had these, good phone, underrated, just poor battery....better than Motion in many ways, screen, looks and speed....Best of the BlackBerry Androids

Keyone..such high hopes, mini passport... but it's not. For me screen is to small, without switching on developer opition it lags, hold in the wrong place and phone signal drops....yes it has many plus points but far from brilliant .PS my screen was rock solid

SO

For now my BlackBerry Android journey is over, yes I own an Android, a Google XL and it is brilliant but...no pkb

SO

Bought a new Passport ( not many left) arrived Sunday..first thing I thought was just how good it looked, not owned a Black one before,

The keyboard felt superb..for me best keyboard ever.....now this time I promised not to turn it into a half Android , just use as a brilliant email device

I would only use apps from Blackberry World or Amazon app store
    Expectations were very very low

Then from Amazon apps..TV catchup, Kindle for Android, Telegraph ( excellent) AOL, Ebay, Candy Crush and two I did not expect...Realtime stocks and XE currency ...
    Is Amazon better than it used to be ? Some of the above I am sure we're not there before

This is not the full list..but far better than I thought, what is good, no lag,..it runs really well

Is that because I have not added Google Play Store? I will never know.

Just know using this Keyboard is better than ever , so pleased I gave the Passport another try

A brilliant business phone, the best for email, great battery, currency and stocks and shares apps...spot on

Cheers

A happy Passport owner

Posted via CB10
    Great and spot on.
    Are you on bbm?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-18 01:57 PM
93 1234