A post yesterday made me think about accessories. In particular, universal accessories. I don't recall exactly when I got tired of buying all new accessories every time I got a new device. But for docks and stands, it came to a head when I bought my Xperia Z Ultra. If you've seen it, it's a huge honker of a device and charging ports are on the left side (one magnetic, one USB). I wanted the Z Ultra standing in portrait position and, because of the charging ports, all the proprietary docks were for landscape mode. And, like all proprietary docks, useless to me as soon as I got my next phone.

Stand/Dock-anker-multi-angle.jpg

That's the Anker multi-angle portable stand. It's lightweight, but both the plastic and the aluminum are thick and sturdy. So it can handle about any device with a screen 10" or less. The plastic in the trough is removable to allow using a thicker device or a device with a gel or hardshell case left on.

Cons: It's not the prettiest device stand around. And, being universal, how you use it with each new device will change, depending on size and positioning of the various ports.

Pros: It's universal -- you're not going to be spending $10+ every time you get a new device. It's sturdy, so it will last through multiple devices. It can be folded flat -- it won't take up a huge amount of room in a suitcase or business bag. and sturdy enough to last through lots of travel.

The stand was $10.99 when I bought it, on sale right now for $9.99. And, for Amazon Prime members, it's Prime eligible. If that does what you want and need, it can be found here: Amazon.com: Anker Multi-Angle Portable Stand for Tablets 7-10 inch, E-readers and Smartphones, Durable Aluminum Body, Compatible for Apple iPad Air / iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina 2,3, iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S 4; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 Tab 3 Tab 4 , No .
    01-13-15 09:55 AM
    A nice option.

I use a couple of generic stands as well. They'll take my Z10, Z30, Passport, Playbook and iPhone. Though I have to say I'm interested in the Passport sync pod -- may have to grab it.
    01-13-15 12:52 PM