I thought the Note 3 already had an overlap option for split screen viewing? I seem to remember you can drag the separator up/down to increase the size of either app...

Would be a nice addition. But honestly with Active Frames the way they are now it is already much easier to switch and copy stuff between apps than it is on Android.
    And for this to be in BB10 the app UI might need quite an overhaul, probably to big to hope for currently.

The only place I would really welcome this is the Hub, like mentioned before for searching attachments, viewing details etc. But even there the current method works well enough for me.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    07-27-14 04:19 AM
    I like the idea of an overlap. I would like even more to be able to choose the window size - so one could be smaller .

I would really like to be able to view excel files in split screen mode - something I have to do frequently. I don't need to see a lot of the file at once when I'm doing this as I'm mostly comparing data in one row with data in another sheet in a row.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 10:07 AM
    You are TOTALLY on to something here. This makes more sense than a strict split-screen.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    Thanks , I know beacause splitscreen is lesser screen and overlap is much better to use more screen because mostly you use it to switch from on to another. It is new and it's Always my thought.
    07-27-14 11:44 AM
    I clicked on your thread because I thought the idea was awesome. Legit diagram.
    07-27-14 01:05 PM
    Love this idea!

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 01:29 PM
    A better idea is in my opinion to overlap the screen you use over the other one. You never use both at the same time but if you wanted you can choose both equal. I used it and tested it on I believe the samsung but be honest I wish there was a overlap.

The idea of overlap is that you mostly wanted to copy something from a document or webpage to a new documt or whatever. so it's easier to swith with overlap and you have more screen size to see what you doing or typing at the documt you making.

So then you can choose two options : equal or overlap split-screen

Think about overlap in wide split screen 2,58 and 0,50 and hight 3,18 inch
    BlackBerry should use overlap and split screen also on the Z30.

How to USE
    First how to choose this, and that is just two fingers wipe down to get the quick menu so you can choose split-screen in 3 standaard like normaal, equal and overlap

The second question is how to get the right apps to show and that is done by that if you in your homepage for example you see 2 times in equal your homepage so you can use swipe and gesture like you normaly use to use a app. So just it work like you use too.

Balance
    A extra plus is in overlap is that you also can use it for balance. So you get your workspace and private space next to each other. How lovely is that
    We will see that on whatever Samasung releases next month. The new next big thing. I'd ask if you patented that idea, but since it's Samsung, it's irrelevant if you patent it.
    07-27-14 02:08 PM
    It would be totally awesome if they could add that feature.

I'm coming from a Note 2 and the split screen was really convenient if you wanted to write an email and have a document on the screen for reference.

The Note had a bigger screen - sort of. There wasn't a lot of room left over with the onscreen keyboard in the way. With the physical keyboard the Passport's screen will probably be better for multitasking.

Since this is supposed to be a business phone that feature would be a huge selling point.

I loved the Note for its size. Too bad it was Android. Once you've had a large screen phone its hard to go back As small as it is, the Q5 is far more reliable than the Note ever was.

I'm looking forward to getting a Passport with or without multitasking.
    07-27-14 02:26 PM
    I definitely think this is a possibility. Great post OP

http://bgr.com/2014/02/19/blackberry...vealed-photos/

Even back then BGR heard they were thinking about split screen capabilities

Posted via CB10
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    07-27-14 06:56 PM
    Something I would prefer to see, and I think would be easier for BlackBerry to implement...

Have the split-screen only work with whatever app you have open and the Hub. When you use the gesture to enter the Hub (Swipe Up, Right) as you pull the open the hub if you release the gesture before passing over the halfway part of the screen the hub stay only open halfway and the app you were just in will maximize in the other half.

The only time I see myself using a split screen is for using the hub (email, text, bbm) while doing something else. As for using multiple apps I don't mind multi-tasking between them.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 08:36 PM
    Oh lala, I hope BlackBerry people are reading this

Sent from CB Forums mobile app
    07-27-14 10:41 PM
    I like the idea. On my computer I always use two monitors and am contemplating setting up a third. It would help me with writing blog posts. WordPress and the Internet side by side.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    07-28-14 12:50 AM
    As I said in the title, complete speculation here but....

Looking at the dimensions of the Passport, we know it is a square screen (1440x1440) at 4.5 inches diagonal. Working a little geometry if we split the screen vertically we get the following diagram:
    Attachment 287051

So that means each side would be a 3.56 inch "screen" that is 1440x720. Comparing it to the still popular iPhone 4s (3.5 in screen at 960x640) it will be taller and skinner. And have less screen area 5.05 sq in versus 5.51 sq in. Comparison diagram:
    Attachment 287052

Another comparison, is it is way bigger than an iPod Nano7 (which people run apps on):
    Attachment 287053

One last way of thinking about the size comparison, half a Passport screen is the same width as a 3.25 in screen with a 16:9 ratio (the same ratio a Z30) but would obviously be taller. So the flip side of that is the half Passport would be as tall as 3.65 in screen with a 16:9 ratio.
    Attachment 287056

So I definitely think the Passport's screen is big enough to have two apps side by side... Could definitely be useful when reading an email and seeing the attached doc/pdf side by side. Or have the calculator up while looking at a website. And I'm sure there are hundred of other use cases for "split screen mode".

What do you guys think?
    You know, maybe not half and half for both apps running, but maybe it can be just as how Windows 8.0 used to do metro (i.e., "modern") apps. In that version you move the dividing line to get a wider screen for the one you're mainly using with the second app still running and completely usable but readjusted in content.

I think I would like that.

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    07-28-14 01:12 AM
    Only a few. Usually for the sake of it in order to use it as an internet argument later.
    Well, these days it's not important how many features are used. Instead, what's important is how many features does one smartphone have.
    Lots of people doesn't use NFC tech but launch a high priced phone these days without it and see how people would react
    07-28-14 01:53 AM
    Great idea. I'll be reading a CB article on one side, and scrolling down comments on the other one !

Posted via Z10
    07-28-14 03:47 AM
    Interesting idea for viewing multiple things at the same time but I wonder how this will work when typing especially with the use of number and symbols because of the virtual keypad which takes up more than half the screen horizontally. There will definitely be a clash but maybe it is something BlackBerry can work around.
    07-28-14 08:07 AM
    It can't hurt BlackBerry if the Passport has this feature as an option.
    07-28-14 08:34 AM
    I'm in!

Loves the idea. And even the other devices has already implement this idea, well.. no one will sue BlackBerry of course. LOL
    Cascade + Split Screen + Passport = CHAMPION!

Drooling for BlackBerry Passport!
    07-28-14 11:58 AM
    Great idea. I'll be reading a CB article on one side, and scrolling down comments on the other one !

Posted via Z10
    Diddo!

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 03:31 PM
    I need the passport bb

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 01:49 AM
    I wish this was a reality.
    04-20-15 01:03 PM
    Have you tried "Work Wide" in BlackBerry World?

Passport to a w - i - d - e world
    04-20-15 02:21 PM
    Have you tried "Work Wide" in BlackBerry World?

Passport to a w - i - d - e world
    Thanks for the info, I was hoping for the ability to open two emails side by side, but Work Wide app looks promising at least you can have one email and web page or note side by side.
    04-20-15 04:03 PM
    I wish this was a reality.
    Oh, but it is.

[SPECULATION] Passport running 2 apps side by side-img_20150420_140900.png
    jcarty likes this.
    04-20-15 04:11 PM
    Oh, but it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150420_140900.png 
Views:	2317 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	348510

Yes, only two browsers, it is not a true side by side app running or two completely different screens. It's very cool that we have at least Something to work with, but it's not completely flexible.
    I use email to email copy/paste all the time, I wish we could have two emails side by side.
    04-20-15 08:01 PM
    Basically Workwide...but with every app.

I bought Workwide, but sadly haven't used it one time.

Posted via CB10
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    04-20-15 08:10 PM
59 123