05-07-18 09:29 PM
194 1234 ...
tools
    The reception issue seems to be isolated to particular band(s) in particular areas. Recent updates have helped many who were affected.
    An update sure helped me. My reception was absolutely horrible (the worst I had ever experienced) when I first got the KEYone, but an update (can't remember which one) gave me reception at par with my Passport.

Still love the Passport (which had issues) and BB10 (which also had its problems). However, just like you, I wouldn't call any phone I have ever owned "perfect." The KEYone is serving me pretty darned well.
    12-29-17 12:21 PM
    Well said. The Passport definitely is in another league. No other phone comes close to it's classiness and build quality.
    I have an iPhone 5 that is still classy , runs apps and has Zero build issues.
    Qorax likes this.
    12-29-17 12:51 PM
    I have an iPhone 5 that is still classy , runs apps and has Zero build issues.
    The iPhone SE was my favorite too... until I spotted a BB Passport. It's now handed over to my daughter who prefers it over her iPhone 7.
    12-29-17 01:03 PM
    I got a Passport soon after it came out, and had to reluctantly give it up in the last couple of months. I tried a Key One, but returned to the store after using it for 14 days. It felt like an android phone that was trying to mimic Blackberry. It was just not a Blackberry experience in most respects. After I returned the Key One, I got a Moto Z phone (for a little under $300) with a battery comparable to the Passport. I downloaded BB Hub from Google Play, and things are good again. I do miss the Passport, but for the money I found that the Key One was a poor imitation.
    12-29-17 02:39 PM
    I got a Passport soon after it came out, and had to reluctantly give it up in the last couple of months. I tried a Key One, but returned to the store after using it for 14 days. It felt like an android phone that was trying to mimic Blackberry. It was just not a Blackberry experience in most respects. After I returned the Key One, I got a Moto Z phone (for a little under $300) with a battery comparable to the Passport. I downloaded BB Hub from Google Play, and things are good again. I do miss the Passport, but for the money I found that the Key One was a poor imitation.
    So you do not really need a physical keyboard then. The Keyone is the only PKB on the market so it is by default the best.

The Motion is a different story. I would say that the lowly Leap has a more premium look and feel. The sharp edge where the glass meets the metal (?)frame feels very cheap. The transition from glass to frame should be smooth.

Yes, the passport, was a very pleasing device to hold and the screen was flagship.
    Qorax and anon(9803228) like this.
    12-29-17 04:51 PM
    Sometimes it takes more than 5 minutes in a store to make a full analysis.

I too had to exchange a Passport SE due to screen lift. No problems with my original KEYᵒⁿᵉ yet.

Apart from the speakers, everything else on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ is superior imo - especially the keyboard.
    Wow I bought a total of four PP SEs and none had that issue. Lucky me.
    Qorax likes this.
    12-29-17 08:43 PM
    Again. Satisfried customer here. No problem. I can wait 2 seconds longer on the browser. Tailgating.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    Qorax and rayporsche like this.
    12-29-17 09:12 PM
    Add to this list of inferior items not only the quality and level of sound but also the cellular antenna reception, the glosssy keyboard buttons, the annoying position of the navigation buttons, and (matter of personal taste) the ugly appearance with black plastic under the keyboard. Otherwise, it is an ok phone.
    Agreed. Speakers and call reception on Passport are second to none.
    12-29-17 10:12 PM
    Wow I bought a total of four PP SEs and none had that issue. Lucky me.
    Yup, they only have 2 minor issues. Dead OS and no apps.
    Lucky you. 😉
    12-29-17 10:38 PM
    Reading these comments reminds me that over the past three years I have lived in a state of high anxiety regarding my Blackberry device's screen. First the Passport and now the KEYone, is it any wonder that I and many others posting here are in need of therapy?
    Last edited by SeeBeeEss; 12-30-17 at 08:56 AM.
    12-30-17 08:43 AM
    Those are almost all subjective aesthetic issues.

I've had zero problems with reception.
    I like my Keyone and use it as my main phone, but the cellular reception and sound quality is not nearly as good as the Passport (black or silver). This becomes even more apparent when in low signal areas away from the city where the Keyone (and to be fair many of the most popular phones as well) can struggle. Hopefully this gets addressed in the Keytwo so it can really standout from the Samsung/iphone dominance, so it truly feels like a blackberry.

Used as a phone, the Passport/z30 et al are tough to beat.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    12-30-17 10:03 AM
    So you understand the dangers of anecdotal "evidence".

If you read the forums a couple of years ago, "most" Passports had screen lift, and "most" had double typing issues. I experienced both on the Passport SE - but still believe the Passport was an excellent device.
    How many people come to the forum to brag about how well their screen stick to their phone? All you need is a few hundred phones with a problem and they all flock here to complain. This place is a magnet. The forums are a place for those with issues to complain and seek help so looking back a couple years ago only confirms there was an issue, not sure how widespread. I've owned a total of three Passports and only one that I bought used had any lift which I fixed with a new screen and housing.

I have to say though in comparison to cost the Passport was considered a flagship phone at the time. It carried if not the top, next to top end specs. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is definitely not a flagship by any stretch.
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 12-30-17 at 10:51 AM.
    12-30-17 10:38 AM
    Passport is superior hardware to K1. It was designed as a flagship device. K1 designed as mid-range. I use K1 as my work device. Passport has my personal sim. K1 is completely sufficient for heavy use and I am fine with the gooberry OS. I spend most my time on the K1 with no complaints. However using the Passport and BB10 is still a real pleasure. K1 is like driving a bus. Passport is a Mercedes and it doesn't have a stupid name.
    Qorax, rayporsche and moonflyer like this.
    12-30-17 11:26 AM
    How many people come to the forum to brag about how well their screen stick to their phone? All you need is a few hundred phones with a problem and they all flock here to complain. This place is a magnet. The forums are a place for those with issues to complain and seek help so looking back a couple years ago only confirms there was an issue, not sure how widespread. I've owned a total of three Passports and only one that I bought used had any lift which I fixed with a new screen and housing.

I have to say though in comparison to cost the Passport was considered a flagship phone at the time. It carried if not the top, next to top end specs. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is definitely not a flagship by any stretch.
    But the KEYone isn't supposed to be a flagship at $499-$549 USD. If the Passport had been priced at true retail price like PRIV, everybody would say it was overpriced too. BB10 devices have been priced too cheap though. At this point, BlackBerry name can't support flagship price. The brand name has become like Buick, with an identity crisis.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    12-30-17 11:47 AM
    But the KEYone isn't supposed to be a flagship at $499-$549 USD. If the Passport had been priced at true retail price like PRIV, everybody would say it was overpriced too. BB10 devices have been priced too cheap though. At this point, BlackBerry name can't support flagship price. The brand name has become like Buick, with an identity crisis.
    I didn't mean to imply that the KEYᵒⁿᵉ was a flagship, I would have been laughed out of the barn lol. But to become a contender they need to release one flagship once in a while. Just my opinion.
    12-30-17 12:20 PM
    I didn't mean to imply that the KEYᵒⁿᵉ was a flagship, I would have been laughed out of the barn lol. But to become a contender they need to release one flagship once in a while. Just my opinion.
    If BBMo releases high spec flagship pkb device I'd pay premium for it. Portrait slider with dual sim (I can dream)
    Qorax and BlueOhSix like this.
    12-30-17 01:53 PM
    Passport was a long way better than KEYᵒⁿᵉ IMhO...
    Qorax and elfabio80 like this.
    12-30-17 01:54 PM
    Why....why would you have so many?
    I reckon they've been having a smashing time.

Posted via CB10
    Sarek1701 and stlabrat like this.
    12-30-17 02:44 PM
    Component quality, fit and finish, and premium feel are all on par with the Passport, imo. I've owned them all too. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ also sells for less than the Passport did throughout most of its availability.

I've never denied the design choice of only putting in a mono speaker. Nor have I denied that some people have reported reception issues on particular bands in particular areas. But since we are talking anecdotes, I will add that most of the people I know on KEYᵒⁿᵉs have not experienced any reception problems.
    Aw bless, dear Conite, you rise like a salmon every time to defend the K1. Long may yours deliver and delight with its screen firmly on (within the ever changing stable of other phones you are packing as a tech pro).

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 and Bbnivende like this.
    12-31-17 04:14 AM
    Aw bless, dear Conite, you rise like a salmon every time to defend the K1. Long may yours deliver and delight with its screen firmly on (within the ever changing stable of other phones you are packing as a tech pro).

Posted via CB10
    He is here also to do advertisement for the Keyone....
    Last edited by elfabio80; 01-01-18 at 03:51 AM.
    Qorax, anon(9803228), Hphv and 1 others like this.
    12-31-17 04:21 AM
    I have had passport and I have K1, yes passport was much better device with BB10, but it's really history I think. I still love BB10 OS and passport but I like K1 too. I can do much more things on Android than today's BB10.
    for me passport without BB10 is nothing...
    so let look forward
    Bbnivende and elfabio80 like this.
    12-31-17 06:37 AM
    I have had passport and I have K1, yes passport was much better device with BB10, but it's really history I think. I still love BB10 OS and passport but I like K1 too. I can do much more things on Android than today's BB10.
    for me passport without BB10 is nothing...
    so let look forward
    That is the key difference. I can do more with Android than BB10 today as well. I still haven't adjusted to my K1 completely and miss my Q10, but there is a huge difference. It isn't Conite or anyone else pushing an agenda. It's reality. I refused to move on and kept my Q10 for 4 years despite severe limitations because I thought it did what it did the best. And it still may in certain tasks, but I feel like I have come out of the dark ages now.
    12-31-17 07:09 AM
    Two years down the line and my PP is still cooking. No problems, no issues. WhatsApp is dropping us BB10 users. So, I am now looking forward to a Key One black edition. I'm sure I will enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed all my BB's. I am glad BlackBerry is still making phones because I can not stomach IOS and some of the other offerings out there. If I had the ability to create a smart phone and OS, it would look very much like BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    12-31-17 08:52 AM
    Two years down the line and my PP is still cooking. No problems, no issues. WhatsApp is dropping us BB10 users. So, I am now looking forward to a Key One black edition. I'm sure I will enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed all my BB's. I am glad BlackBerry is still making phones because I can not stomach IOS and some of the other offerings out there. If I had the ability to create a smart phone and OS, it would look very much like BB10.

Posted via CB10
    What don't you like about other offerings? At the end of the day, most android phones are fairly similar to the K1 except for the keyboard.
    12-31-17 10:19 AM
    Still using my Passport. Still productive. Still functional (for my needs). Still like it. I'm not a Whatsapp guy, so I don't miss that, and in fact, MOST Apps are not for me. But I am a music guy and I'm glad Slacker, Amazon Prime Music Unlimited and a few other music streaming apps run on Passport (sideloaded). I have a 9900 on one of my lines and Slacker and Spotify still work on the 9900. Well, Slacker works as long as you have a subscription. The app is so old it does not support ads, so the only way it runs is with a subscription, but Slacker's minimum subscription is so low per month, it's a non-issue for me.

The one app that no longer functions on my Passport is TuneIn radio and that smarts. There are terrestrial radio stations I like to listen to via TuneIn. I've tried other radio apps and they fall to short to be useful. The web browser on Passport still supports MOST terrestrial websites for streaming, but not all. I really do miss TuneIn.

I'll hold on to my Passport for 1 more year. By New Years 2019 I will probably go Droid unless I fall in love with Apple Music. These days, music is becoming more important to me than productivity or applications. It's becoming the #1 driver in what I want in a smartphone.
    anon(9803228) and rayporsche like this.
    12-31-17 01:39 PM
194 1234 ...