Screen lift, double type... at least my Q10 only had double type...

The K1 will still have access to all its services in two years. The Passport won't even have a native app store, not to mention no updates for 3 years. I'll be surprised if the browser works by then.

The Passport was good in its time, but the world, including BlackBerry, has moved on.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-18 02:05 PM
    Screen lift, double type... at least my Q10 only had double type...

The K1 will still have access to all its services in two years. The Passport won't even have a native app store, not to mention no updates for 3 years. I'll be surprised if the browser works by then.

The Passport was good in its time, but the world, including BlackBerry, has moved on.

Posted via CB10
    I think Passportites know all this and more. The question for most of us is not "Will I have to abandon the sinking ship?" but "When?"

Right now with most functionality intact for those of us that prize text shifting more than self curation/social media/apps, the PP is fine. Much of the shortfall can be made up with tablets. The K1 is tumbling in price. A new BE will be around the £300 mark by summer. But for now the PP still kicks the K1's a**e for some of us.

As the PP battery degrades and the browser slips into total decompensation, the K1 (or its successor) will, bit by bit, tip the scales, user by user. But right now, the standard chat about moving on/obsolescence/'wake up and smell the roses' etc etc blah blah is not remotely persuasive.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax, rayporsche and cyberdoggie like this.
    01-03-18 05:22 PM
    I think Passportites know all this and more. The question for most of us is not "Will I have to abandon the sinking ship?" but "When?"

Right now with most functionality intact for those of us that prize text shifting more than self curation/social media/apps, the PP is fine. Much of the shortfall can be made up with tablets. The K1 is tumbling in price. A new BE will be around the £300 mark by summer. But for now the PP still kicks the K1's a**e for some of us.

As the PP battery degrades and the browser slips into total decompensation, the K1 (or its successor) will, bit by bit, tip the scales, user by user. But right now, the standard chat about moving on/obsolescence/'wake up and smell the roses' etc etc blah blah is not remotely persuasive.

Posted via CB10
    For some, it's not persuasive. For most, it's been persuasive since the PRIV. If you can get by with a Passport, great!! I don't have time for dealing with broken go around solutions due to outdated ART.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-03-18 05:51 PM
    BB made, IMHO, the worst possible business decision some years ago. Basically there used to be two types of BB users then: that one's that liked the brand because of OS security and stability, and that one's that liked the brand because of the "premium" feeling offered by its models (Classic, Z10, PP, etc.)

Well... Majority of that one's which used to like the brand because OS will never adopt Android, which is in exact opposition to "security" and "stability". And I'm not talking about beauty because it don't matters so much. These guys instead migrated in large scale to iOS. I, too, have a K1 but refuse to adopt it as my daily driver because I don't want Google spying on all my entire life.

The other people, that one's which used to love BB because if premium feeling of its older models won't be happy, in its majority, with a K1, either. Is a case of simple side-to-side analysis. Put PP side to an iPhone and a Samsung of its time. Now put a K1 side to an iPhone X and a S8 or Note 8. I have a X and a K1. I really like my K1 but, sorry, there's no way to compare these two. I have, too, a PP and an iPhone 6 Plus. Again, there's no possible way to compare both, but in the opposite direction. I'm talking about premium feeling here.

This kind of decision is simply killing BB. Software company now, someone will say. Ok. But I neither can see, yet, none really innovative difference between BB and another brands software. Yet.

Just my two cents.
    Both of these type of users did not support the brand enough to keep it afloat. So it doesn't really matter. The first ones never upgrade unless their old one breaks or upgrade only after BB10 was already dying because they didn't upgrades in the beginning to support it. The second was flocking to specs, which BlackBerry can not sustained at their level. Samsung and others can easily killed them on the high end. And even then most of these people who wants high quality built stuff also do not upgrade because their BlackBerry would not die on them. Passport users for example has had their phone now for close to 4-5 3 yrs. But their passport is so great nothing can compare supposedly.
    Last edited by deremi; 01-10-18 at 07:38 PM.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-03-18 06:02 PM
    Passport users for example has had their phone now for close to 4-5yrs.
    3 to 3.5 actually.
    01-03-18 06:12 PM
    For some, it's not persuasive. For most, it's been persuasive since the PRIV. If you can get by with a Passport, great!! I don't have time for dealing with broken go around solutions due to outdated ART.
    PP and all BB10 phones work best without any ART apps. The run time capability is great if it meets people's needs, but I'm loving my BB10 phones all over again since I got my KEYone for Android apps.

The irony for me is that buying a $500 Android phone led me to remove all the Android crud from my Z10 and Passport, which made me love them more than I have in over a year, since I started fooling around with Cobalt's Android workarounds. The end result is that I don't use the KEYone very much!

That's not a knock on Cobalt's tools, which are awesome, but asking BB10 to run Android apps well in 2018 was a bit like trying to teach my dog to play baseball...it doesn't work, and it annoys my dog.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Qorax and Jon Wiggy like this.
    01-03-18 09:21 PM
    You have to think that an passport that is Android compliant might just be a modest success.
    01-04-18 01:40 AM
    You have to think that an passport that is Android compliant might just be a modest success.
    I believe it's called the KEYone. That shape / factor is the compliance piece.
    01-04-18 08:23 AM
    Imagine if Samsung Note 8 has a qwerty keyboard, it would be so awesome!
    plus K1 battery - check note 8 battery issues...
    As for K1; 2 outstanding known issues are not difficult to correct: sound quality- get a pair of decent mini speakers. reception - get para and pay BB license fee for patent... possibly add 10-15 dollar per handsets and call it KIm (modified... Kim sounds a bit too media personnality... need better name).
    As PP is better than K1? trade offs - you take it like your gril friend or wife... and of course, your youth is always need to be remembered... good old days of PP, wow, it is so striking beautiful and different, stop in the track drop dead... when you get old, you just don't get that feeling (or hard to get that feeling anymore)... Move on. ATT will implement 5G network at end of 2018... BB10 2 years extension is perfect timing.
    01-04-18 08:41 AM
    K1 design stinks.
    Blackberry needs to make the K2 a classic 2.0, a tad longer and wider so it will work with android OS. Narrower then the passport but longer the classic IMO.
    Qorax likes this.
    01-04-18 12:06 PM
    "K1 design stinks"- ha, look like the respecatble judges of the award of CES 2017 disagree with you... just courious, which design you consider not stinks? (if it is superior,you might want to apply for the job of 2018 CES award committee to ensure no stinky design received award). IMHO.
    01-04-18 12:20 PM
    I agree! I truly enjoy my k1 the past couple months but recently have gone back to my Passports for daily use. Retaining my k1 with a new mint Sim for the few odd apps that I can't get to run on Cobalt!

I've owned 3 Orig and 1 SE with zero problems, rock solid builds all of them!

Posted via CB10
    Qorax and cyberdoggie like this.
    01-04-18 07:54 PM
    My screen did!
    01-04-18 11:30 PM
    You said: "BB10 has an excellent built in music player that allows flac and wma. No wma on the Android which is disappointing to say the least, so BB10 remains my music player." That's what I was responding to.
    Android devices have the capability to play wma and FLAC files.
    I was comparing the built in music player of bb10 to Android on the Passport and keyone respectively. No wma on the Keyone. I ended up downloading vlc on the Keyone to play wma, but the interface is not as good as the native bb10 player.
    Q5SQR100-1/10.3.2.2639

Posted via CB10
    01-04-18 11:52 PM
    "K1 design stinks"- ha, look like the respecatble judges of the award of CES 2017 disagree with you... just courious, which design you consider not stinks? (if it is superior,you might want to apply for the job of 2018 CES award committee to ensure no stinky design received award). IMHO.
    I gave you my "opinion" and I don't really give a crap what some judges say.
    I believe what I said would be a big improvement over k1.
    Again IMO.
    Qorax and cyberdoggie like this.
    01-05-18 12:28 AM
    Sounds like you've been listening to people who have no idea what they are talking about.

The KEYone is definitely not the Passport with Android. What the KEYone is is a decent Android device which provides a bit of the BlackBerry "feel" that many of us love.

There is no question that the Passport was a favourite device for many of us. There is no question that the build quality was pretty darned good (irrespective of the issues that some users experienced). There is no question that BB10 was a pretty remarkable OS. And there is no question that the Passport and BB10 are on their way to museum status.

It is hard to give up the past. I feel your pain. I too loved my Passport but decided to move forward and am doing just fine with the KEYone.

Kept the Passport for a backup device.
    I moved on from the passport to the Dtek50...for just over a year until that device stopped working correctly. 2.4ghz WiFi screwed up and now can't find connections. Calling is screwed up, and bluetooth no longer syncs to anything. Thank goodness I kept my passport as a backup, because temporarily, it's my daily driver

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    01-05-18 01:52 PM
    Wow I guess I really started something with my post. I've enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the diversity of opinions.

I've been coming to grips with the fact that Blackberry as I knew it will never return. For all its elegance and intuitive UI, I know the app situation doomed BB10. Android is IMO an inferior OS, but it has all the apps so it wins. I know I'll have to move on, and sooner rather than later.

But then I pick up this Passport and I can't help but wonder what could have been if BB10 took hold in the market. It's such a premium feeling device and so beautiful! The other day I laid it on the table in the break room at work, and literally every coworker took notice of it. In a sea of Rounded rectangles, Passport truly stands out.

Anyway, thanks everyone for a lively discussion.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax, rayporsche and cyberdoggie like this.
    01-05-18 08:52 PM
    The other day I laid it on the table in the break room at work, and literally every coworker took notice of it. In a sea of Rounded rectangles, Passport truly stands out.
    I liked the Passport too, but if I laid down a phone in the shape of a tomato, I'd get looks too. It doesn't mean anyone else will run out and buy one.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-05-18 10:16 PM
    Some of us simply like it different.
    Distincly different ...

And I mean my passport

Posted via CB10
    Qorax, rayporsche and neoberry99 like this.
    01-06-18 02:24 AM
    To make light of the situation when someone comments about the shape, I joke around by saying "Not only is it an amazing communication tool, but it doubles as a weapon of mass destruction too", referring to its size and heft

Posted via CB10
    Qorax and rayporsche like this.
    01-06-18 04:15 AM
    To make light of the situation when someone comments about the shape, I joke around by saying "Not only is it an amazing communication tool, but it doubles as a weapon of mass destruction too", referring to its size and heft

Posted via CB10
    ...and robustness. -Very few-No phone/s of today can come close to its tactical strength.
    01-06-18 07:47 AM
    What don't you like about other offerings? At the end of the day, most android phones are fairly similar to the K1 except for the keyboard.
    Not no similar. I had a Lot of phones and have to say blackberry even on android is different. BTW I had PRIV too..
    Menu of blackberry is oriented to business peoples. Shortcuts, swipe shorts, productivity tab, hub and many many things...
    01-06-18 08:54 AM
    Not no similar. I had a Lot of phones and have to say blackberry even on android is different. BTW I had PRIV too..
    Menu of blackberry is oriented to business peoples. Shortcuts, swipe shorts, productivity tab, hub and many many things...
    But that can all be downloaded from GPS for any Android phone.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-06-18 09:14 AM
    ...and robustness. -Very few-No phone/s of today can come close to its tactical strength.
    Lol my kids call it the PopTart phone because of its shape!

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    01-08-18 12:11 PM
    I believe it's called the KEYone. That shape / factor is the compliance piece.
    Right, but then it negates being Passport-like. I find the screen ratio to be one of the reasons why I prefer the Passport’s screen by far over the KEYone or any candy bar for that matter. For emails and texts, there is nothing better.
    01-10-18 02:51 PM
193 ... 34567 ...