Has Verizon actually tried to use this language (or lack thereof) to get out of having to activate band 13-only devices? I wouldn't put it past them
    Well, the language does not specify anything at all about activation processes, and the Asus Nexus 7 obviously needed a workaround, so I'd say that would imply that they feel that there is no problem putting a roadblock like that in the customer's way.

Thanks. Do you have a link? I can't read your attached picture. My eyes are not so great or the picture is not so great.
    Sure do

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...7_116&rgn=div8

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-27-14 12:14 AM
    And a bunch others in the Passport on ATT thread

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.1154 - CB10
    My Passport has been on AT&T since Sept 2nd with LTE.

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 and quemo like this.
    09-27-14 05:45 AM
    Right. No benefit right now, really, which is why I would try to dissuade anyone thinking of buying one for Verizon. But...down the line, if hell freezes over and Verizon makes voLTE available to all capable devices, things could get interesting.
    OK. But even if they make voLTE available to all devices, the device must also be capable of using it. Can the Passport? Also, I don't care about what Verizon's maps say. I have a Z30 on Verizon and there are plenty of areas where there is no LTE or very poor LTE coverage. They have 3G and 1X everywhere I have gone so far, but even just locally, I see areas where LTE is not there or very poor.
    09-27-14 12:12 PM
    OK. But even if they make voLTE available to all devices, the device must also be capable of using it. Can the Passport?
    If it's an IMS based implementation, the Passport would be capable. Only question is, would Verizon grant it access?

Also, I don't care about what Verizon's maps say. I have a Z30 on Verizon and there are plenty of areas where there is no LTE or very poor LTE coverage. They have 3G and 1X everywhere I have gone so far, but even just locally, I see areas where LTE is not there or very poor.
    Right. They are planning to switch to primarily selling all-LTE phones in 2016, which is some time away. Before that, there is an AWS auction scheduled, plus the big 600 MHz auction in 2015, and they must have refarming planned as well. Typically, Verizon doesn't do things until they're fully ready, so when they launch voLTE, they will have nationwide coverage to support it--especially if their phones 2016 onwards don't have CDMA to fall back on.
    kbz1960 and lift like this.
    09-27-14 12:42 PM
    VoLTE is currently launched nationwide on Verizon. They have only enabled it for the iPhone 6, 6+, G3, and S5. It is an IMS based solution.

Posted via CB10
    raino and EchoesFX like this.
    09-27-14 01:01 PM
    Chen said somewhere yesterday it wouldn't be limited to AT&T but a certain amount of time ^

Posted via CB10
    Source????????

I'm really kind of surprised it hasn't been covered by team Crackberry already? I feel like this is a pretty big issue...?

-RYknow
    Maybe this is a sign that they know something but can't publish it yet?

I'm hopeful that VZW will have the white Passport, as others have speculated. I mean, doesn't anyone else find it odd that BlackBerry has only released the black version so far with no mention of when/where the white version will be available (even though we've all seen the photos that prove such a version exists)?

VZW STL 100-4 currently running 10.3.0.1154
    09-27-14 01:08 PM
    Quick q. If vzw has a passport will we have to wait til they approve of the updates like with android?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    09-27-14 01:13 PM
    While we may not have direct confirmation that it isn't coming, I don't think it will be happening. I know folks at Verizon PR and I test their devices. My Verizon demo units arrive a few weeks before they've launched, but I usually get word of new devices in the pipeline long before that. For example, I knew that Verizon would be stocking a Windows Phone version of the HTC One M8 weeks before the Android version of that device even launched. I was under a NDA at the time of course, but now I'm not.

If there was any chance of the Passport launching in November for Verizon, I would have known about it by now.
    But wouldn't you be under an NDA if you did have a Passport in for testing??

I am disappointed there isn't a CDMA model, it couldn't have been that expensive to add CDMA radios in addition to the GSM/LTE ones. You would think the additional cost per device would be mitigated by the fact it could be used on any carrier, thus being able to sell to a wider customer base. Oh well, guess I'll just wait for restocks and maybe go with AT&T prepaid and see how coverage goes around here. For a long time, AT&T in this area was awful.
    09-27-14 01:50 PM
    But wouldn't you be under an NDA if you did have a Passport in for testing??

I am disappointed there isn't a CDMA model, it couldn't have been that expensive to add CDMA radios in addition to the GSM/LTE ones. You would think the additional cost per device would be mitigated by the fact it could be used on any carrier, thus being able to sell to a wider customer base.
    Well, in fact, w/o carrier permission (not) you wouldn't be able to use it on Sprint or Verizon anyway.
    lift likes this.
    09-27-14 01:55 PM
    Well, in fact, w/o carrier permission (not) you wouldn't be able to use it on Sprint or Verizon anyway.
    Yes, but if there were CDMA radios, they could at least be sent through the approval process for Sprint/Verizon. By them not including them, it completely removed any possibility.
    09-27-14 02:18 PM
    Yes, but if there were CDMA radios, they could at least be sent through the approval process for Sprint/Verizon. By them not including them, it completely removed any possibility.
    Keep in mind though that Verizon does not like its phones to have too much cross-compatibility with other carriers. Z10: LTE b13, no NA UMTS bands. Q10 and Z30: LTE b4, b13, UMTS 850, 1900 (but no UMTS 1700 or LTE b17.) The only phones that I know of that buck this trend are the recent iPhones.
    lift likes this.
    09-27-14 02:22 PM
    Keep in mind though that Verizon does not like its phones to have too much cross-compatibility with other carriers. Z10: LTE b13, no NA UMTS bands. Q10 and Z30: LTE b4, b13, UMTS 850, 1900 (but no UMTS 1700 or LTE b17.) The only phones that I know of that buck this trend are the recent iPhones.

True but that new law kinda goes against them on since they have to allow their phones goto other carriers now. Right? Like I have droid RAZR maxx. Doesn't Verizon have to unlock that for me and allow me to take to another carrier?

09-27-14 02:25 PM
    I wasn't planning on a Passport but count me as a long-time VZW customer (over 30 years) who is extremely disappointed. Doesn't not bode well for my Z50????
    I too have been with Verizon 25+ years and although I don't necessarily want a Passport but after them dropping the Z30 it seems unlikely they're gonna carry the Z50.

On a recent call with Verizon tier 2 tech support the tech didn't know BlackBerry was still in business and that Verizon even carried BlackBerry phones. WTF is up with that Verizon?

My bitchin' Z30 BlackBerry
    09-27-14 02:25 PM
    I was not aware of that, but why is that the case? Obviously they'll make an exception for the iPhone because it's such a money maker, but is it just because they don't like it? If they let the iPhone do it, it can't be technical reasons like potential for interference or something, so what is the reasoning?

Anyways, has there been anything through the FCC indicating a CDMA Passport? Wouldn't that precede any carrier testing?

Sent from my Q10
    09-27-14 02:32 PM
    True but that new law kinda goes against them on since they have to allow their phones goto other carriers now. Right?

No. You are free to take your Verizon phone to any other carrier you want. The phone's not "locked". Their GSM side is unlocked to start with. The CDMA side isn't really locked, Sprint just won't allow it (and the other way around) on their network and CDMA doesn't work on GSM anyway. So with an unbranded CDMA phone you have nowhere to go.

The new "law" was merely to counter the lame Library of Congress rule about stealing digital material etc. that got them into the weeds on cell phones. The old law was you couldn't unlock a cell phone without your carrier's permission (which no one paid any attention to), the new one says you can. The law does not require another carrier to take your phone.
    lift likes this.
    09-27-14 02:59 PM
    No. You are free to take your Verizon phone to any other carrier you want. The phone's not "locked". Their GSM side is unlocked to start with. The CDMA side isn't really locked, Sprint just won't allow it (and the other way around) on their network and CDMA doesn't work on GSM anyway.

The new "law" was merely to counter the lame Library of Congress rule about stealing digital material etc. that got them into the weeds on cell phones. The old law was you couldn't unlock a cell phone without your carrier's permission (which no one paid any attention to), the new one says you can. The law does not require you another carrier to take your phone.
    I know that but. I was merely asking if vzw has to unlock my vzw now so I can take it with me that's all

09-27-14 03:01 PM
    Just tweeted all of their accounts. Keep it up everyone! It worked with Rogers in Canada, who knows...

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 03:13 PM
    On a recent call with Verizon tier 2 tech support the tech didn't know BlackBerry was still in business and that Verizon even carried BlackBerry phones. WTF is up with that Verizon?

My bitchin' Z30 BlackBerry
    That's not a Verizon issue, that's an issue with that particular rep. I used to work for Big Red and BlackBerry was constantly at the call center showing off BB10 and explaining how the devices worked. In fact, VZW has a sort of performance contest every year (regionally divided, throughout the country) and last year's finalists were all given Q10s. Not to mention, when you go through training you are given different devices to try out (including BlackBerrys) and you have so many resources at your fingertips showing you what phones are sold by Verizon, the only way this rep couldn't know that BlackBerry is still in business is if he is purposely ignorant or, ya know, he just felt like being a giant lying d-bag that day.

lift and SteelGreek like this.
    09-27-14 03:41 PM
    INCREDIBLY DISAPPOINTED THAT VERIZON DOESN' offer the passport!!
    09-27-14 04:32 PM
    I know that but. I was merely asking if vzw has to unlock my vzw now so I can take it with me that's all

As I said, your Verizon phone ready IS unlocked (both sides) and you can take it with you... maybe to a GSM carrier? You will not be able to take it to a CDMA carrier because they will not let you on.
    09-27-14 04:33 PM
    As I said, your Verizon phone ready IS unlocked (both sides) and you can take it with you... maybe to a GSM carrier? You will not be able to take it to a CDMA carrier because they will not let you on.
    Oh ok

09-27-14 04:54 PM
    True but that new law kinda goes against them on since they have to allow their phones goto other carriers now. Right? Like I have droid RAZR maxx. Doesn't Verizon have to unlock that for me and allow me to take to another carrier?
    Yes and no. The new unlocking law allows you to get your phone unlocked without carrier permission, any time you like. But this law doesn't force them to carry phones they don't want to, and believe me--Verizon has enough clout to "strongly suggest" to OEMs what bands should be put in their phones' variants. Regarding your Razr, I see that it has LTE band 13, so it's most likely unlocked (Verizon doesn't lock band 13 phones, see previous posts in this thread.)

I was not aware of that, but why is that the case? Obviously they'll make an exception for the iPhone because it's such a money maker, but is it just because they don't like it? If they let the iPhone do it, it can't be technical reasons like potential for interference or something, so what is the reasoning?
    Because they don't want people buying phones from them and then taking them to other carriers. Of course, the ETF protects them in such cases, but they probably do end up losing a little bit profit on each phone, considering there is a (slight) mark-up. And I'm not sure they made an exception for the iPhone--I think it's more that Apple can dictate terms to them. Also, it's not just Verizon--AT&T phones often don't have TMO's UMTS 1700 band.

Anyways, has there been anything through the FCC indicating a CDMA Passport? Wouldn't that precede any carrier testing?
    I don't know if it would precede carrier testing, because FCC certification could be just a (mandatory) pre-release formality. I wouldn't be surprised if carriers would be doing their own testing while the FCC does theirs. BB has been making phone for a long, long time, so they would know exactly what FCC testing entails..

I haven't seen a CDMA Passport go through the FCC. The last time I checked was probably 1-1.5 weeks ago.
    09-27-14 05:10 PM
    VoLTE is currently launched nationwide on Verizon. They have only enabled it for the iPhone 6, 6+, G3, and S5. It is an IMS based solution.

Posted via CB10
    That is why we have to still have a positive attitude.

The passport is one of those phones that has a form factor that they must continue with. If it is on Verizon a year from now I would like the form factor to remain unchanged just updated internal specs and capabilities.

Of course I do not want to wait that long.

BTW, what does IMS mean? Must have missed it. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 05:33 PM
    Source????????

Maybe this is a sign that they know something but can't publish it yet?

I'm hopeful that VZW will have the white Passport, as others have speculated. I mean, doesn't anyone else find it odd that BlackBerry has only released the black version so far with no mention of when/where the white version will be available (even though we've all seen the photos that prove such a version exists)?

Not a fan of white but if that is the only way VZW gets it then I am all in.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 05:34 PM
    That is why we have to still have a positive attitude.

The passport is one of those phones that has a form factor that they must continue with. If it is on Verizon a year from now I would like the form factor to remain unchanged just updated internal specs and capabilities.

Of course I do not want to wait that long.

BTW, what does IMS mean? Must have missed it. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Multimedia_Subsystem

Standard also allows for hand off from Cellular network to Wifi (such as calls).

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 05:46 PM
247 ... 678910