Chen said somewhere yesterday it wouldn't be limited to AT&T but a certain amount of time ^
    Where did you see this?

-RYknow

Posted via CB10
    wnyjackson likes this.
    09-26-14 04:26 AM
    ^^^^^^^^^This. Can anyone prove/disprove this?
    09-26-14 06:22 AM
    Hopefully the initial 200,000 sold out in 10 hours through Amazon/shopblackberry helps Verizon take the plunge for a few units.

Posted via CB10
    wnyjackson and WWBlondieDo like this.
    09-26-14 08:34 AM
    There are two basic transmission protocols, if you will, for wireless phone service in the USA as we use it today - CDMA and GSM. The Passport is currently made as a GSM device. The following services use that GSM protocol:
    T-Mobile and AT&T
    CDMA is used by:
    Sprint, Verizon, MetroPCs, and US Cellular

There are other carriers, of course, but these four are considered by many as the major ones. Since the Passport only supports GSM, a protocol that is also used by most of European carriers, the Passport will not work on Verizon's network.

The LTE portion might work (with, perhaps, some tweaking) for the data, the GSM/CDMA incompatibility will not allow phone calls.

Sorry for the bad news, but that's it, in a nutshell. No Verizon unless Blackberry produces a CDMA version.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 08:58 AM
    There are two basic transmission protocols, if you will, for wireless phone service in the USA as we use it today - CDMA and GSM. The Passport is currently made as a GSM device. The following services use that GSM protocol:
    T-Mobile and AT&T
    CDMA is used by:
    Sprint, Verizon, MetroPCs, and US Cellular

There are other carriers, of course, but these four are considered by many as the major ones. Since the Passport only supports GSM, a protocol that is also used by most of European carriers, the Passport will not work on Verizon's network.

The LTE portion might work (with, perhaps, some tweaking) for the data, the GSM/CDMA incompatibility will not allow phone calls.

Sorry for the bad news, but that's it, in a nutshell. No Verizon unless Blackberry produces a CDMA version.

Posted via CB10
    wait i thought metro used tmobiles network.. if so wouldn't that make them gsm? and boost i thought used sprint

P.s this is what vzw tweeted back to me.

09-26-14 09:25 AM
    Woah, whoa, whoa!! Everybody take a breath - especially Verizon users. Has there been any official confirmation that BlackBerry has decided not to make a CDMA Passport?

Look how the Z30 launch went. It took more than a month after the global launch for the Z30 to come to Verizon. No CDMA version of the Passport **YET** could simply be a matter of timing. We could easily see a Verizon Passport hit the FCC in late October for a November launch.

So unless somebody has direct and official confirmation that there will not be a Verizon Passport, I say it's still in the works. The glass is still half full.
    While we may not have direct confirmation that it isn't coming, I don't think it will be happening. I know folks at Verizon PR and I test their devices. My Verizon demo units arrive a few weeks before they've launched, but I usually get word of new devices in the pipeline long before that. For example, I knew that Verizon would be stocking a Windows Phone version of the HTC One M8 weeks before the Android version of that device even launched. I was under a NDA at the time of course, but now I'm not.

If there was any chance of the Passport launching in November for Verizon, I would have known about it by now.
    09-26-14 10:15 AM
    CDMA is, on a global basis, a niche and dying market.

Verizon would have to commit to a material number of units to justify building something just for them. And it would be just for them.

I wouldn't do it were I BlackBerry without a few-million-unit PO in hand that can't be canceled.

Verizon is slowly moving off CDMA, and that's good. But this means that their leverage to get people to make a custom-radio handset for them is ending.
    09-26-14 10:19 AM
    Quick q will the att passport be locked or unlocked?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    09-26-14 10:20 AM
    Hopefully the initial 200,000 sold out in 10 hours through Amazon/shopblackberry helps Verizon take the plunge for a few units.

Posted via CB10
    Problem isn't Verizon its BB. To make a CDMA version of the phone cost money - its not like they can just whip it together for a few units for Verizon.

As a company it makes sense not to make a CDMA phone as there are very few markets in the world that use it. Outside of the U.S. then next largest market segment is in Asia - whereas GSM is the dominate worldwide system - especially in Europe, Africa and the Oceanic countries.
    09-26-14 10:22 AM
    Problem isn't Verizon its BB. To make a CDMA version of the phone cost money - its not like they can just whip it together for a few units for Verizon.

As a company it makes sense not to make a CDMA phone as there are very few markets in the world that use it. Outside of the U.S. then next largest market segment is in Asia - whereas GSM is the dominate worldwide system - especially in Europe, Africa and the Oceanic countries.
    BlackBerry will make a CDMA variant if Verizon commits to order a certain number. So I don't know if Verizon "is the problem", but they are definitely the ones that decide.

Posted via CB10
    raino and lift like this.
    09-26-14 10:32 AM
    Can anyone tell me the difference between quad band LTE and FD-LTE? looking at the specs provided, the passort has all four of the "quad LTE" bands under thier FD-LTE.(3,7,8 and 20). if they are the same then shouldnt we be able to use it on verizon? maybe there is only one phone model available (would save on production cost).
    Quad band is just a quantity descriptor, while FD-LTE specifies the type of LTE bands they are (the other option being TD-LTE.) IDK why 3, 7, 8 and 20 are called "quad LTE," because there are obviously more than 4 LTE bands in the world, unlike GSM where there are only four, so it makes more sense to call a phone quad GSM when it has all four.

Heyyyy that's me.

But yes it's true. Just like the Nexus 7 LTE, despite having Verizon hardware support, they wouldn't activate the tablet because it wasn't Verizon branded or approved. The only work around was to take an old activated SIM (preferably one for a different Verizon tablet) and put it in the Nexus 7.

Same thing with this Passport. They will not activate a SIM with the Passport. You can, however, put an old activated SIM card in it.

Unfortunately you'll only get LTE data, but if you reach an area with no LTE or spotty coverage, you'll lose connection completely. You will not be able to use voice, or even VoLTE, because Verizon approves the phones that can access VoLTE. Bad situation for us VZW subscribers):
    This. One thing I would like to add is if someone is still thinking of using a Passport on Verizon, it may take a little bit of work to get it activated, but it can be done. It would entail using an approved Verizon device's IMEI during activation to "fool" their system into thinking that you're activating a Verizon-approved device. Then, once you put your Verizon SIM card in, the IMEI should correct itself.
    09-26-14 10:40 AM
    This is a legitimate concern, and one way to address is to put many different bands in the CDMA version...kinda like Apple does with its CDMA iPhone. That way, you aren't restricted to selling the CDMA phone just through that one CDMA carrier. The issue then is...the SQW100-1 covers almost all FD-LTE carriers there are, so there would be a lot of overlap between it and the CDMA variant...unless BB puts TD-LTE bands in. That would make things interesting.

From the money end, as AnimalPak200 says, BB is most likely holding off until Verizon commits to a PO because unless they go the CDMA+TD LTE route, Verizon would likely be the largest individual carrier for a CDMA model.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    09-26-14 10:47 AM
    This part, so ur saying there might be a CDMA version then?
    Might...as in not definitely. Nothing's definite until the devices are actually available. The Sprint and AT&T/US GSM Z30s were in the OS and even went through the FCC...and we know how that turned out.

All it tells us definitively is that BB at one point in time was planning to release a CDMA version. Maybe they still will, if there is sufficient demand (i.e. a large enough carrier PO) for it.
    09-26-14 10:54 AM
    Quad band is just a quantity descriptor, while FD-LTE specifies the type of LTE bands they are (the other option being TD-LTE.) IDK why 3, 7, 8 and 20 are called "quad LTE," because there are obviously more than 4 LTE bands in the world, unlike GSM where there are only four, so it makes more sense to call a phone quad GSM when it has all four.

This. One thing I would like to add is if someone is still thinking of using a Passport on Verizon, it may take a little bit of work to get it activated, but it can be done. It would entail using an approved Verizon device's IMEI during activation to "fool" their system into thinking that you're activating a Verizon-approved device. Then, once you put your Verizon SIM card in, the IMEI should correct itself.
    Seems like if i take an activated sim out of another tablet and put in the passport i would function like an LTE only Tablet. Is that the consensus?
    09-26-14 11:03 AM
    BlackBerry will make a CDMA variant if Verizon commits to order a certain number. So I don't know if Verizon "is the problem", but they are definitely the ones that decide.

Posted via CB10
    That's the point I'm making. It's not in BlackBerry interest to make a CDMA variant.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 11:09 AM
    Seems like if i take an activated sim out of another tablet and put in the passport i would function like an LTE only Tablet. Is that the consensus?
    Sooo... No Verizon Passport version?!?-img_20140926_105526.jpg
    raino likes this.
    09-26-14 11:10 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140926_105526.jpg 
Views:	958 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	300714
    It looks like it didn't work? And did you do the IMEI activation or not?
    09-26-14 11:14 AM
    I wasn't planning on a Passport but count me as a long-time VZW customer (over 30 years) who is extremely disappointed. Doesn't not bode well for my Z50????
    09-26-14 11:14 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140926_105526.jpg 
Views:	958 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	300714
    So did it work?
    09-26-14 11:17 AM
    It is a Telus exclusive in Canada for a week. Just give it time. I am sure it will open up in the states also.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    09-26-14 11:25 AM
    LOL. No it didn't work.

I hit reply before I realized that I didn't add the text of the picture yet.

I recently added a new line to my company account (18 lines so changing carriers is not an option) and got an iPhone 5s for a new hire that is starting next month. Easy to swap the SIM card that way. Plus I get to play with the 5s for a little but. But I wont.

I logged into my VZW account and see where I can put the IMEI #'s in but I wouldn't even know how to do that without causing major issues that might be hard to correct.

Disclaimer: I bought the passport knowing full well that it would not connect with the VZW network properly but I really wanted to try the device. That is how much a liked it.
    09-26-14 11:26 AM
    Everyone,

I spent a few hours at Verizon yesterday and we could not get my Passport to work on their network. I am in Reno in case someone wants to check out the bands here. They (Verizon reps) did admit that they are phasing out CDMA and moving to more conventional bands but it will take years. I gave up and walked across the street and had AT&T put the Passport on my family share plan. Works great on their 4G network. In addition, I actually had a Blackberry rep call me this morning asking how I liked my new Passport and if there were any questions. I asked about Verizon and she confessed that she has heard that question a lot and has no real answer. Only that the "higher ups" told her to say "more things are coming". She said that in a way that would lead me to believe that this does not include Verizon compatible Passports. So, I am not holding my breath and will just use it on AT&T for now. Sorry guys.

Kurt
    raino, AnimalPak200 and lift like this.
    09-26-14 11:36 AM
    I logged into my VZW account and see where I can put the IMEI #'s in but I wouldn't even know how to do that without causing major issues that might be hard to correct.
    Fair enough. If down the road it does become feasible and you decide to explore the IMEI switch option, just find a nano SIM-equipped floor model/unactivated device and get it's IMEI to plug in to the VZW activation webpage.
    09-26-14 11:37 AM
    I was at least hoping that I could get LTE Data to work. I usually have a JetPack device but have lost it. If I could use this as that I would.

The keyboard takes getting use to but it is awesome.
    09-26-14 11:39 AM
    LOL. No it didn't work.

I hit reply before I realized that I didn't add the text of the picture yet.

I recently added a new line to my company account (18 lines so changing carriers is not an option) and got an iPhone 5s for a new hire that is starting next month. Easy to swap the SIM card that way. Plus I get to play with the 5s for a little but. But I wont.

Disclaimer: I bought the passport knowing full well that it would not connect with the VZW network properly but I really wanted to try the device. That is how much a liked it.
    thanks looks like tmobile for me once i can actually get the passport, didn't think it would sell out that fast
    09-26-14 11:40 AM
247 ... 45678 ...