Why wouldn't that have been mentioned today?

We need Team Crackberry to dig deep with their insiders and get to the bottom of this!!!

-RYknow
    09-24-14 07:43 PM
    Maybe Verizon didn't want the Passport, like AT&T didn't want the Z30. Verizon was exclusive with the Z30 because no other carrier wanted it. And it was sold online only. BlackBerry can't make a carrier sell a phone if they don't want to.

Verizon Z30
    09-24-14 08:07 PM
    Son of a *****

Vtecberry Z10
    red72 and eyesopen1111 like this.
    09-24-14 08:08 PM
    With all due respect, VoLTE switch is yet to be turned on at Verizon. The backbone of Verizon, text and voice, is CDMA at the moment. Yes I agree with you, in the future, when all Verizon towers will be upgraded to LTE, you will be able to use a gsm phone on Verizon. But at the moment, that's at least 2 years away imho
    After doing some more digging, a form of it it was actually turned on as of a few days ago, but it seems they are limiting it to iPhone 6 (and 6 Plus), the LG G2 and the Galaxy S5 at this time and calling it "Advanced Calling 1.0". I wouldn't say proper VoLTE is 2 years away, but right now it seems you will only be getting data and nothing else if you try at this time.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 08:35 PM
    Woah, whoa, whoa!! Everybody take a breath - especially Verizon users. Has there been any official confirmation that BlackBerry has decided not to make a CDMA Passport?

Look how the Z30 launch went. It took more than a month after the global launch for the Z30 to come to Verizon. No CDMA version of the Passport **YET** could simply be a matter of timing. We could easily see a Verizon Passport hit the FCC in late October for a November launch.

So unless somebody has direct and official confirmation that there will not be a Verizon Passport, I say it's still in the works. The glass is still half full.
    09-24-14 08:51 PM
    After doing some more digging, a form of it it was actually turned on as of a few days ago, but it seems they are limiting it to iPhone 6 (and 6 Plus), the LG G2 and the Galaxy S5 at this time and calling it "Advanced Calling 1.0". I wouldn't say proper VoLTE is 2 years away, but right now it seems you will only be getting data and nothing else if you try at this time.

Posted via CB10
    It's still only gonna be available in a few places. If you travel a lot you will find places on Verizon that not even have 3g coverage. LOL you should see my face when I look at the 1X icon sometimes. SO it will be a while. Years, for sure until cdma is eliminated completely out of Verizon's system and LTE will be in 100% of their towers
    09-24-14 08:58 PM

On another note... who should I be pissed at?! Blackberry for not making a CDMA version... or Verizon for not carrying it?! What is the "chain of command" so to speak? Does Blackberry go to carriers and say, "hey...we have this phone.. here are some specs... will you support it?" Or does Blackberry just make a CDMA version and offer it to CDMA carriers?

-RYknow
    Verizon for not migrating from CDMA to HSPA+ then to LTE. Qualcomm had a migration path and they decided to run two networks for a long time.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    AnimalPak200 and EchoesFX like this.
    09-24-14 09:03 PM
    Verizon for not migrating from CDMA to HSPA+ then to LTE. Qualcomm had a migration path and they decided to run two networks for a long time.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    ^^^^^^^This
    09-24-14 09:05 PM
    I don't understand it either. I'm only hoping they have learned their lessons and bargained for a better deal with AT&T as far as marketing etc. Time will tell.

I feel your pain because I was waiting and waiting for the Z30 to show up for AT&T and it NEVER did. Even though a variant eventually passed the FCC.

Right now, I don't think a CDMA version has crossed the FCC, so it could be an unfortunately long wait for our VZW brothers and sisters.
    Reed Richards likes this.
    09-24-14 09:14 PM
    It's mostly a matter of us carriers being very carefull. Sprint and verizon are looking at well the device will do.
    09-24-14 09:37 PM
    I was waiting on the Passport release with the hope that Verizon would support it. The plan was to pick up the Passport and if for whatever reason I couldn't get used to it, I would swap it for a Z30. Now there's no Passport for Verizon and they've also stopped selling the Z30!

I'm so upset! AT&T here I come.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 09:53 PM
    Who in the he11 is in charge of USA sales? Their job should be on the line for this. Verizon didn?t want the phone because the sales team couldn't sell it to them. Tired of hearing "it's not BlackBerry's fault.." It is BlackBerry's fault! I'm sorry but if you can't sell to the number 1 carrier in the USA you should be fired. What's the point in keeping them if they are worthless?

Posted via CB10
    b121, lift and BigBrownBirdDog like this.
    09-24-14 11:04 PM
    Verizon has chapped my hide plenty of times since the Storm 2. The only reason I am with them is because of coverage. I can be with 3 other people any where in AZ and if they don't have coverage from their carrier, I do. But that is it. They are late with updates don't carry anything in stores for accessories. Did I already mention how late they were with updates (10.2) If I go into a store and they find out I am carrying a Blackberry they giggle. They ask me why and I tell them the difference between my phone and the others in which they are blown away how much they did not know, sometimes they are shocked at what BB can do. (The funny thing I am not real techno literate but I make the Verizon rep. look clueless) I am convinced Verizon could care less. I would leave them in a heart beat if any one else had the coverage. I can't have a top of the line phone with no coverage.
    red72, JLErwin3 and maddie1128 like this.
    09-24-14 11:11 PM
    You couldn't be more right. I'm in Idaho and the ONLY carrier that has even average coverage outside of Boise is VZM.

However TMO has been making real strides, so I may slink over to the pink panther.

GBA
    olllllo1978 likes this.
    09-24-14 11:25 PM
    I am pretty sure Jesus Christ did not quote the first paragraph. But the explanation was great for us who don't know. I didn't know.
    09-24-14 11:27 PM
    OMG. Dude, you refuse to get it. Take it from someone who plays with blackberries since they made their first phone : the Passport is not compatible with Verizon. It does not have the hardware compatibility to work on cdma network. Like I said, google it. it takes 5 minutes. Also read this : http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...encies-961279/ . Jesus Christ

Actually because you don't seem to want to google it, here's the most important part of that thread: "*4. What's the deal with Verizon, will the RGY181LW work?

It might, but not too well as a phone.

Long answer: Verizon has two high speed networks: CDMA, and LTE. Verizon won't allow on its CDMA network any device not certified for its CDMA network, which basically means if they don't have its IMEI/ESN in their list, it's a no go. Thanks to outside intervention during the 2008 spectrum auction, the 700 MHz spectrum Verizon purchased (band 13, block C,) requires them to allow any device using band 13 spectrum on their network. Now, they may not make things easy and may drag their feet, but there are workarounds, most famously popularized when the Asus Nexus 7 LTE was introduced and hadn't been certified for Verizon's LTE network yet: How To Activate An LTE Nexus 7 On Verizon Wireless

Now, since the RGY181LW is missing CDMA bands, there will be no voice and texts (among other issues that may come up.) However, Verizon is in the process of deploying a voice over LTE (voLTE) network. Whether the Passport is able to access this voLTE network, nobody (except maybe people in Verizon) can say for sure. It would depend on things such as: is the voLTE network going to be "open?" How will Verizon manage voLTE--how are they going to push the funcionality out to phones? Is the Passport even compatible with Verizon voLTE, etc.

Given all this uncertainty, I would not recommend buying a RGY181LW for use on Verizon. However, if you are brave enough to try, please, please share your experiences in this thread."

GOT IT NOW ???
    I am pretty sure Jesus Christ did not quote the first paragraph. But the explanation was great for us who don't know. I didn't know.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 11:40 PM
    I am pissed...Bb is now dead to me.....sleeps with the fishes.
    09-24-14 11:49 PM
    The CDMA system is very limited and I really don't understand why VZ has not jump ship. GSM is a global and broader system... most carriers use GSM system.

I can't blame BB for not having CDMA production on Passport since it would cost more to produce. I couldn't blame VZ for not falling in with everyone else (used only by VZ and SPNT major carriers). Perhaps it would cost them too much too.

Anyway, I know Passport will do well (in sales) and will produce CDMA version or dual system in the future. I am pretty sure BB has it patented already, it's just a matter of timing. Feel for you that have to wait.

PS. I know this would be weird but you could down grade your VZ service to data only and you could WI-FI off your current device using a Passport on a TMO in your area... and everywhere else direct on TMO (worldwide)... and the cost would be much less even with the Passport purchase. IMO.

Posted from myZ30 via CB10 app
    09-25-14 12:16 AM
    I'm surprised there are so few comments on this post, I guess a lot of VZW customers are probably just angry and are sick of this. Apple may have begun with exclusive deal but haven't gone back to it. Dumb.

From the Z30
    09-25-14 05:15 AM
    Well after thinking about it, will be buying the Passport and trying att with their goplan. While lowering my vzw out down a few gb. The go plan is prepaid, so will try it for a month or two, see how it goes.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.1154 - CB10
    southlander likes this.
    09-25-14 06:00 AM
    Maybe White Passport is for Verizon vs Black Passport is for AT&T.. Just guess

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 06:39 AM
    Maybe White Passport is for Verizon vs Black Passport is for AT&T.. Just guess

Posted via CB10
    If that is the plan, what would be the advantage of not telling us about it yet?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:53 AM
    If I was in the market for A Passport I would be upset I could not get one to work on VZW.
    As it is I will use the Z10 for a while and I am also thinking of switching. Verizon is just too expensive anymore and call coverage differences are shrinking fast.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    09-25-14 09:19 AM
    If that is the plan, what would be the advantage of not telling us about it yet?

Posted via CB10
    Exactly,.. If they do plan on ever carrying this, I'm sure they have at least made an order commitment at this point. There is absolutely nothing to lose by at least saying that "it will be available 'soon'".

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:03 AM
    Yes, but it could be the terms of exclusivity for AT&T. Exclusivity means very little if you know you can get it elsewhere in a few months. Just a thought.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:11 AM
247 12345 ...