Wait didn't a law get passed that says companies like Verizon along with any other carrier has to allow phones to run on each others networks? If they are able to that is

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Unless I misinterpreted, that law pertains to unlocking a device. Carriers can't stop people from taking a device from one carrier to another, but allowing it to access is a different subject.

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-24-14 05:45 PM
    Ohh man! I wasn't trying to take credit! Thought it was a great explanation!

-RYknow
    I know you weren't I just thought it was cool my post from Reddit was posted here!
    09-24-14 05:46 PM
    Unless I misinterpreted, that law pertains to unlocking a device. Carriers can't stop people from taking a device from one carrier to another, but allowing it to access is a different subject.

Posted via CB10
    Um allowing ppl to take it from one carrier to another does indeed include access

09-24-14 05:49 PM
    that's interesting because I recently took a trip out of the US and put an active GSM sim card in my Z10 and all worked well. voice, data, wifi, etc. what makes Verizon different?
    09-24-14 06:25 PM
    that's interesting because I recently took a trip out of the US and put an active GSM sim card in my Z10 and all worked well. voice, data, wifi, etc. what makes Verizon different?
    Google is your friend. Sprint and verizon are still CDMA networks. Not gsm. Research the difference between these two. It's like trying to put diesel fuel in a gasoline car. Apples and oranges
    Carl Estes and lift like this.
    09-24-14 06:29 PM
    I understand the difference. I should have stated that the Z10 was on Verizon in the US and was on a GSM network overseas. why does it work one way and not the reverse.( CDMA on a GSM and not GSM on CDMA)
    09-24-14 06:33 PM
    Um allowing ppl to take it from one carrier to another does indeed include access

The law I'm referring to made it so you had to get the carrier's permission to unlock it to use it on another carrier. And now you can unlock from a carrier. Whether the device now unlocked has the right bands for the carrier you take it to is a wholly different thing.
    09-24-14 06:37 PM
    I understand the difference. I should have stated that the Z10 was on Verizon in the US and was on a GSM network overseas. why does it work one way and not the reverse.( CDMA on a GSM and not GSM on CDMA)
    Verizon phones have a gsm functionality. So verizon phones work on gsm networks with limited band frequencies. The other way around doesn't work because gsm phones have no CDMA functionality. I send verizon iphones bought on ebay here in the us to my family in Europe and they work fine. Blackberry and other phone manufacturers implemented this technology on CDMA phones long time ago and called it "international phones".
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-24-14 06:38 PM
    CDMA and GSM are not the same. A Verizon STL100-4 can use both, and can access the networks if they have the proper bands.
    09-24-14 06:42 PM
    Because the GSM components were added to make it a World phone since that's what most of the world uses. There's only a handful of places outside the US that use CDMA.
    09-24-14 06:45 PM
    ok. thanks for all the responses but no one has answered my question. if the passport has all the same network bands as the Z30,then shouldn't it be able to work on Verizon network.... ?
    09-24-14 07:02 PM
    ok. thanks for all the responses but no one has answered my question. if the passport has all the same network bands as the Z30,then shouldn't it be able to work on Verizon network.... ?
    OMG. Dude, you refuse to get it. Take it from someone who plays with blackberries since they made their first phone : the Passport is not compatible with Verizon. It does not have the hardware compatibility to work on cdma network. Like I said, google it. it takes 5 minutes. Also read this : http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...encies-961279/ . Jesus Christ

Actually because you don't seem to want to google it, here's the most important part of that thread: "*4. What's the deal with Verizon, will the RGY181LW work?

It might, but not too well as a phone.

Long answer: Verizon has two high speed networks: CDMA, and LTE. Verizon won't allow on its CDMA network any device not certified for its CDMA network, which basically means if they don't have its IMEI/ESN in their list, it's a no go. Thanks to outside intervention during the 2008 spectrum auction, the 700 MHz spectrum Verizon purchased (band 13, block C,) requires them to allow any device using band 13 spectrum on their network. Now, they may not make things easy and may drag their feet, but there are workarounds, most famously popularized when the Asus Nexus 7 LTE was introduced and hadn't been certified for Verizon's LTE network yet: How To Activate An LTE Nexus 7 On Verizon Wireless

Now, since the RGY181LW is missing CDMA bands, there will be no voice and texts (among other issues that may come up.) However, Verizon is in the process of deploying a voice over LTE (voLTE) network. Whether the Passport is able to access this voLTE network, nobody (except maybe people in Verizon) can say for sure. It would depend on things such as: is the voLTE network going to be "open?" How will Verizon manage voLTE--how are they going to push the funcionality out to phones? Is the Passport even compatible with Verizon voLTE, etc.

Given all this uncertainty, I would not recommend buying a RGY181LW for use on Verizon. However, if you are brave enough to try, please, please share your experiences in this thread."

GOT IT NOW ???
    09-24-14 07:06 PM
    I still want to know why... from a business standpoint... blackberry didn't go to Verizon as well. CDMA and GSM argument aside, Verizon has the largest customer base. The passport is supposed to be Blackberry's big thing... put them "on the map again" so to speak. The timing, in my opinion was perfect. Hot on the heels of the newest iPhone (I get it... it sold a lot of units... but read the articles, it's an iphone....much like the one before it... and the one before that... and the one before that). Between Verizon and AT&T, they occupy some +\- 65% of the market... Wouldn't it have been in Blackberry's best interest to offer that 65% their latest and greatest?!

/rant

-RYknow
    09-24-14 07:06 PM
    Anyone with some insider knowledge of a future vzw Passport????

Looking for a glimmer of hope lol!

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 07:07 PM
    ^ but sadly bbry didn't and now they'll suffer

09-24-14 07:07 PM
    thanks again but you didn't need to be an *** about it.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    09-24-14 07:12 PM
    I was?

09-24-14 07:13 PM

You have it backwards. The law is designed to allow a phone owner to unlock his branded phone so he can LEAVE his current carrier. Where you go after that is the consumer's problem. The law does not speak to this.
    09-24-14 07:15 PM
    Stop being lazy and google it, like I told you 10 times. And when someone answers you, because they googled it for you, don't call them a**.
    09-24-14 07:15 PM
    ^ but sadly bbry didn't and now they'll suffer
    This is what I'm afraid of! I really don't think the classic is going to cut it. And with the Passport only offered to roughly 32% of the market... I just feel it's a poor business decision. Everything about this release felt so right. Like I said, fresh on the heels of another iphone (and I mean that much like before... it's just another iphone). I was thinking about it the other day. I've been with Blackberry since the 9630 (tour). Compared to some of you, that's not very long. But in my time with Blackberry deadlines have been a BIG issue. I've seen delay after delay over the years for various devices. This time... none of that. It gave me a warm fussy feeling. Leading up to today I've been able to read some really good, positive articles about Blackberry. Just felt like things were so perfect...

This no Verizon thing is just killing me... For one, I'm not going to be able to get a Passport (or so it seems). And for two, I just feel like this is going to hurt Blackberry.

-RYknow
    Reed Richards likes this.
    09-24-14 07:19 PM
    Verizon phones have a gsm functionality. So verizon phones work on gsm networks with limited band frequencies. The other way around doesn't work because gsm phones have no CDMA functionality. I send verizon iphones bought on ebay here in the us to my family in Europe and they work fine. Blackberry and other phone manufacturers implemented this technology on CDMA phones long time ago and called it "international phones".
    For the most part, Verizon is required by the FCC to allow any compatible device to connect to their network on LTE Band 13. This was a condition that came about when they purchased the rights to use those radio frequencies for their network. There are two exceptions to this, such as the device failing to comply with published technical standards in a way that can cause network issues, OR to comply with a statute or government regulation. The BlackBerry Passport does support this band, and must be allowed to connect unless one of those two conditions is met.

Source: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...7_116&rgn=div8

IF you happen to live in an area where LTE service is available on that band, and VoLTE is also available in their area, it MIGHT work. It won't work too well for anyone rural, travelers, etc. You might find that the phone doesn't work in some buildings, but works fine outside. You might need to have a nano-sim that is already activated in order to use the device.

On the bright side, by 2016 VZW wants to sell LTE only phones so they will have to expand VoLTE service throughout the remainder of this year and 2015 for that to be a reasonable goal.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 07:24 PM
    Yeah, it's puzzling. I get it that leaving out CDMA support makes the device cheaper, but at the same time I can't see how having different variants of such a limited production device won't actually cost more in the long run (re-tooling, several smaller orders of components vs a single large order, different sku logistics, making their inventory inherently less flexible (since you can't shift it around to wherever it sells), etc.)

The Verizon Z30 has quite a broad band coverage,.. adding some ATT LTE bands would have made it quite complete. Wish they would have done that for the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 07:27 PM
    For the most part, Verizon is required by the FCC to allow any compatible device to connect to their network on LTE Band 13. This was a condition that came about when they purchased the rights to use those radio frequencies for their network. There are two exceptions to this, such as the device failing to comply with published technical standards in a way that can cause network issues, OR to comply with a statute or government regulation. The BlackBerry Passport does support this band, and must be allowed to connect unless one of those two conditions is met.

Source: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...7_116&rgn=div8

IF you happen to live in an area where LTE service is available on that band, and VoLTE is also available in their area, it MIGHT work. It won't work too well for anyone rural, travelers, etc. You might find that the phone doesn't work in some buildings, but works fine outside. You might need to have a nano-sim that is already activated in order to use the device.

On the bright side, by 2016 VZW wants to sell LTE only phones so they will have to expand VoLTE service throughout the remainder of this year and 2015 for that to be a reasonable goal.

Posted via CB10
    With all due respect, VoLTE switch is yet to be turned on at Verizon. The backbone of Verizon, text and voice, is CDMA at the moment. Yes I agree with you, in the future, when all Verizon towers will be upgraded to LTE, you will be able to use a gsm phone on Verizon. But at the moment, that's at least 2 years away imho
    09-24-14 07:29 PM
    Their is no solid statement saying Verizon won't carry this phone !!!!!! AT&T exclusivity could be a month.
    09-24-14 07:39 PM
    Att need to drop they single phone plans if they intend to get new customers

09-24-14 07:40 PM
247 1234 ...