I've only ever had one Blackberry device - the Z10. I love it. It may be my favourite phone (and I've used Android/WP and Apple devices). Love the interface, love the focus on work and communication. But it's made me realize a few things.

1) I use my phones for only a few things - Email, calendar, calls, texts and the camera. I may browse the web and play a few simple games occasionally, but that's only to while away the time.

2) I don't like touchscreens much. In fact, I gave my tablet to my daughter and got myself a Chromebook because I prefer the 'computer' format and the physical keyboard.

-------------------

I will probably buy the Passport when it's available (and when I have the money). But I've never had a BB device with a physical keyboard. I thought about getting a Q10, but I wanted to try out a BB device with the trackpad (to see if I like that, as I don't like putzing about on a touchscreen). So I've been considering getting a 9900 - just to see what the keyboard is like.

I know that the 9900 will have issues re: the OS, but would you guys suggest getting a Q10 or a 9900 if I want the 'full BB physical keyboard experience'?

Remember, this is in preparation for getting the Passport (which I'll probably buy sometime next year). If I prefer navigation using the trackpad, I'll consider the Classic.

Both the Q10 and the 9900 seem to be available relatively cheaply (though the 9900 is cheaper). I should be able to locate one on the forums, and that makes it easy to try out, but I don't want to buy both if I can help it.
    chrispmoto likes this.
    08-21-14 12:36 PM
    Keyboard being the metrics of your selection: Either. BlackBerry keyboards are the best there are and the 9900's was so good it even managed to get people asking for it to go back into production and sold again.

Now, the OS on a 9900 is dated, slow and prone to issues (yours may probably only turn out dated, since you're telling us you're planning on using it mostly where the device shines). A Q10 uses the same OS as you know on the Z10. I'd take that into account. The Passport is a BB10 device, the 9900 isn't. The keyboard on the Passport is serious, while the 9900's grinns at you. Check the image below. The Passport will be "serious" too.

On the 9900's site, you can get one dirty cheap on ebay without having to look too hard.

Some advice needed re: physical keyboard Blackberry-q10_9900_white_front_hero_0.jpg
    08-21-14 12:44 PM
    You will have a tough time with 9900 because of pathetic battery life and hour glass,constant device hang etc.

The q10 keyboard is very good and wider than 9900 and overall device is a superb functional beast.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    08-21-14 12:55 PM
    The big advantage of the 9900 is the trackpad, which is crucial for text selection, hence the Classic. The Passport should allow us to have the trackpad function without the tool belt.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    08-21-14 01:04 PM
    Honestly just use the money you would spend buying a Q10 or a 9900 on a passport lol.
    08-21-14 01:53 PM
    Honestly just use the money you would spend buying a Q10 or a 9900 on a passport lol.
    I wish it were that simple.

By all accounts, the Passport is going to be pretty expensive ($500-700). The 9900 can be had for around $80 and the Q10 for about twice that. Most importantly, the 9900 and Q10 are available currently, while the Passport is not.

If my wife hadn't appropriated my Z10, I'd be able to while away the time with updating to the new 10.3 leak, but as it is, I have no BB device available.
    08-21-14 02:40 PM
    Q10 is over 9900 on every aspect, even if the trackpad is a malus, everything else is too much better.
    Or the Q10, or Classic.

Especially if you have a Z10... you don't want to go back to stone age.
    08-22-14 04:04 AM
    I do text selection just fine without a track pad. BB10 has you covered once you get used to how it works.

PS: Smart wife...

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 08:31 AM
    how about the mouse hover function? in q10
    08-22-14 09:33 AM
    I'm leaning now towards the Q10 - though I'm still curious about BBOS7.

Of course, a part of me wants to just wait for the Passport, as has already been suggested. I don't think I'm going to be patient enough without a Blackberry phone.
    08-23-14 08:51 PM
    I have used BlackBerry since they were more like pagers, then with wheels, track ball, track pads and now full touch screen Z10 and Z30. I am really looking forward to the keyboard on the Passport and the ability to use it as a glide pad.

I had to use my Bold 9900 as a backup when I broke my Z10 last year and could not stand it. I bought a Z30 so I could have my Z10 as backup instead. Well, one reason at least. I love the screen real estate and it has outweighed my need for a keyboard by far and I write a lot on my devices, have 10 email addresses and multiple twitter and facebook accounts. I actually went to full screen also because I was tired of wearing out keyboards. And yes the glide pad was the best of the devices I have used for selecting text, copy and paste, but I find the Z30 easy enough and on 10.3 it is even better. Far easier than any Android or iPhone.

But the keyboard and large square screen will bring me back and since I am a multitasker, I will use both the Z30 and Passport.

I would certainly get the Q10 if I had to choose between that and the Bold 9900. BB10 is infinitely better. BBOS 7 sucks in comparison in almost every way. The browser is almost unusable, imo. And I installed the 10.3 leak on my Z10 and again, so much better than BBOS 7. At least the Q10 might have value once you get the passport. Certainly the 9900 will be recycled.

Z30 Rocks!
    08-23-14 09:20 PM
    If you are buying a BlackBerry with a keyboard in preparation for the Passport you will only want to look at the Q10 because of the OS. Making the move from the Q10 to the Passport will be seamless.

The Q10 is more money but in the long run is going to be much more of a representation of what to expect in the Passport.

Posted via Q10
    08-23-14 09:57 PM
    Well, I decided to bite the bullet and I have a Q10 on its way to me. I hope that will satisfy me until I can afford a Passport. It's a pity that I keep hearing pretty scary (but expected, for a flagship device) possible prices for the Passport, as it looks like it will be out of my price range for a while.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to receiving the Q10 and I'm sure it will answer the question I have about whether a physical keyboard will actually influence how I use the phone.

Thanks for the input, guys.
    09-01-14 09:18 PM
    Good luck, make sure to post a response on here when you have had some time to check it out.

Posted via Q10
    09-01-14 10:01 PM
    You made a great choice. Q10 is excellent, screen does feel a little small at times and a few Android apps won't scale well, a few are just unusable based upon poor design and programming by the Android developers. Keep your Q10 if you can, for the next couple years it would be a solid back-up for a lost or busted Passport. Hopefully you can grab the passport on a contract and get it for a reasonable price, sub $200, because you bought the Q10 off contract.

Obviously it depends upon what market you are in but the US has many plans like T-mo or VZW where things like Edge allow you to sort of pay as you go for the device, with a discount on service relative to a regular contract. Hopefully these options will be available to you and you can grab a passport earlier!
    09-02-14 01:17 AM
    Unfortunately, USPS may have lost my Q10. I went over to pick it up after I had the notice left at my door, and they couldn't find it. Hopefully, it will turn up.

I'm not worried about the money, as I can get that refunded, but it's annoying to have to wait until this clears up.
    09-07-14 07:49 AM
    That blows! Hopefully you don't have to wait to long.
    09-07-14 08:15 AM
    Got it finally. I'm still getting used to my first physical keyboard. It seems to be working for me, though.

If the Passport keyboard functions like a hybrid between this and the Z10 one, I'll probably love it.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    09-11-14 04:48 AM