From their released, then taken down, message about the Passport's features:

"hold the SHIFT key while dragging your finger across the keyboard to extend a selection."

So, who is excited to use the Passport's keyboard to select text?? ;-)-passport_advanced.jpg
    Yep, just hold that shift key...

:-P
    06-25-14 12:26 AM
    "Passport delayed due to hardware 'defect'" oops

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    slagman5 and kbz1960 like this.
    06-25-14 12:43 AM
    This is a lame thread. Mods please close.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    How is this lame? I'm just wondering who else is as excited as I am that we can merely hold the shift key to highlight text with the Passport....
    06-25-14 01:41 AM
    How is this lame? I'm just wondering who else is as excited as I am that we can merely hold the shift key to highlight text with the Passport....
    1. Double tap keyboard then slide cursor into position by sliding on the keyboard.
    2. Single tap keyboard to lock cursor in starting position.
    3. Slide finger on the keyboard to move cursor to end position selecting text as the cursor moves.
    4. Single tap keyboard to confirm selection.

Voila! No need for a "shift" key.

/endthread

06-25-14 02:30 AM
    1. Double tap keyboard then slide cursor into position by sliding on the keyboard.
    2. Single tap keyboard to lock cursor in starting position.
    3. Slide finger on the keyboard to move cursor to end position selecting text as the cursor moves.
    4. Single tap keyboard to confirm selection.

Voila! No need for a "shift" key.

/endthread

But, BB specifically said to just hold the shift key. Because that way, you hold a key and swipe, that's cutting your description into half of its steps... I like the way BB described it more...
    06-25-14 02:47 AM
    But, BB specifically said to just hold the shift key. Because that way, you hold a key and swipe, that's cutting your description into half of its steps... I like the way BB described it more...
    I also noticed that the description talked about a non existing shift-key... unless holding down (any?) key replaces shift!?

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    06-25-14 02:51 AM
    Maybe long pressing space bar is shift.
    06-25-14 03:23 AM
    Maybe long pressing space bar is shift.
    What if you actually want to enter spaces?? lol
    06-25-14 03:30 AM
    What if you actually want to enter spaces?? lol
    Right now long pressing the space key on my Z30 hides the keyboard, which wouldn't be applicable to a hardware keyboard. Potentially he could be right.

Can anyone share what holding the space key does on the Q10?

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 07:09 AM
    I'm not. It doesn't look like the slab is for me.
    06-25-14 09:27 AM
    Pressing the spacebar gives you a space.
    Multiple presses for multiple spaces.
    Outside of text boxes the spacebar is used for Scrolling Down (obsolete on Passport?)
    Press-and-Hold minimizes the current Active Frame.
    Can anyone share what holding the space key does on the Q10?
    This means there is one simple gesture not yet used, and that is 'Tap-and-Hold' (not pressing down). This might very well be the Passport alternative for Shift, who knows.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    06-25-14 09:49 AM
    I'm not long-pressing anything, it's counter-intuitive, really cancels out the advantage of a BlackBerry.

from an australian Z10...
    II ARROWS likes this.
    06-25-14 10:06 AM
    Have you ever even used a physical keyboard BlackBerry? Long-pressing keys has always been an alternative to Shift, or a way to get accented symbols. Even on your Z10 virtual KB there are plenty of press-and-hold functions...
    I'm not long-pressing anything, it's counter-intuitive [...]
    [...] Z10
    Ignorance is bliss?

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    06-25-14 11:06 AM
    There's the shift key.

So, who is excited to use the Passport's keyboard to select text?? ;-)-passport1-700x541.jpg

Posted via CB10
    anischab likes this.
    06-25-14 05:24 PM
    There's the shift key.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	passport1-700x541.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	280546

Posted via CB10
    As part of the screen, that's ... interesting.
    A "virtual" forth row!!

06-25-14 05:27 PM
    Didn't you know? The shift key is on the back of the phone! Clever 'eh! That's why no photos of the back yet. Top secret still see!

Ooops! Did I just let the cat out of the bag?

; )

Careful! Z10....er..... BlackDroid in action!
    06-25-14 05:30 PM
    As part of the screen, that's ... interesting.
    A "virtual" forth row!!

I think it's the contextual keys row... changes content depending on what/where you're typing except for the Shift key (which I think is always there based from the screen shots I've seen).

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 05:33 PM
    Contextual shift key, sheesh. - New images show off the contextual portion of the BlackBerry Passport keyboard | CrackBerry.com. You can't tell me you didn't already know that by reading the rest of the description lol. If you didn't then you seemingly didn't read enough.
    Rowan M likes this.
    06-25-14 05:36 PM
    Have you ever even used a physical keyboard BlackBerry? Long-pressing keys has always been an alternative to Shift, or a way to get accented symbols. Even on your Z10 virtual KB there are plenty of press-and-hold functions...
    Ignorance is bliss?

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    I've come from a long line of physical keyboard blackberrys, so yes I know my personal preferences.... of there is a shift key, I would rather use that. the only time I will long press is speed dial.

from an australian Z10...
    06-25-14 05:38 PM
    Contextual shift key, sheesh. - New images show off the contextual portion of the BlackBerry Passport keyboard | CrackBerry.com. You can't tell me you didn't already know that by reading the rest of the description lol. If you didn't then you seemingly didn't read enough.
    I knew about it, never seen it before!!
    "we have added a dynamic virtual row on-screen that smartly shifts depending on context." LOL

06-25-14 05:44 PM
    Have you ever even used a physical keyboard BlackBerry? Long-pressing keys has always been an alternative to Shift, or a way to get accented symbols.
    And it's always been a waste of time.
    As for accents, OS 5 let you double type the key to set the accent when the word requires it (IE: in Italian e = and, � = is; press "ee" to translate automatically into "�").
    Since OS 6 I had to manually set that behavior for auto-correct. And that sucked.
    06-25-14 06:08 PM
    Ah, so the few millimeters you saved by losing the physical key is made up by the centimeter or more space on the screen this contextual row will take up. I got it. :-)

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10?
    06-25-14 06:17 PM
    Wow this is a bit of a downer. Still have no idea how this design would ever accommodate easy numbers/symbol editing.
    Either those 4 rows of symbols have to stay focused the entire time and you lose a lot of screen, or you have to reopen the interface for every symbol (like smilies currently)...
    And the way this looks, the symbol list will not respond to the physical keys after all (like on the Q), because they are formatted differently...

I know the bottom contextual row will stay apparently, but that has nowhere near enough space to show all numbers. And what if you use auto-correction, that would mean another row on screen? :s

_____

None of these images (until we see some actual typing) make the keyboard seem truly intuitive/innovative. Besides the gestures, that part is still cool.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    cfoxx likes this.
    06-25-14 06:28 PM
    Ha Ha Ha, Nice one Man
    06-25-14 06:55 PM
    I was also looking forward to it but little by little I'm losing interest I need to see it live starting to think I'm going to miss the size of the Q10 although I want Z30 mainly to just show it off to the non BlackBerry people I think if they use it for a few days they'll want their own I wanted the passport but thinking now maybe I'm better off with the classic just thinking about walking around the office with this wide phone -_- might look a bit silly

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 07:08 PM
27 12