07-09-16 10:27 PM
90 1234
tools
    To write or not to write off is not the question.
    The Passport need me to type?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 03:59 PM
    I never wrote the Passport off. I was interested from Day 1. I'm enjoying my Q10, but my 61 year-old eyes (my other parts are younger) do crave a screen that can truly use nice large Fisher-Price fonts. I like the big square screen for reading and writing, which is 90+% of what I do with a smartphone.

And I think the Passport will be attractive to those people who want to stand out, and there are plenty of people like that. A phone isn't just a phone anymore, and it isn't just an app platform either. It's a personal accessory, and in such things style matters. I would never claim that this trumps other issues, such as missing apps, but it's something that will help BlackBerry to be noticed again. They so need to be noticed.
    Well said!

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 04:14 PM
    I doubt anyone makes a buying decision based *solely* on how pretty a device appears, but it's certainly a factor for many.

Given a choice between two devices that did what you wanted, why would anyone deliberately choose the ugly one, say one with a goofy keyboard and no numbers...
    Oh definitely, if they both do what I need for sure I'm picking the better looking device. But I'd never sacrifice function for appearance in a phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 04:46 PM
    Just one look that's all it took. This beast is mine.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-03-14 04:55 PM
    I'm torn on it. Like the size, unsure how I'll feel about that goofy keyboard and no numbers.

I'm curious...do people actually make phone purchasing decisions based on the phone being "fugly"? Really??? If a phone does what I need it to do better than some other phone then I'm getting it...who cares how pretty it is.

Though I confess I like my old Bold/Curve/Torch and current Q10 partly because they "look" like Blackberries.

Posted via CB10
    Generally, people who like BlackBerry for its functionality should not be concern about Passport. Its the form factor that has most in doubt. Outside of BlackBerry circle, I do believe the form factor is a good selling point. Call it fashion or trend, it might get the most attention for the company that a lot of people no longer pay attention to.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 05:07 PM
    Honestly, I still think the form factor is "fugly" to say the least. The square screen and 3 row keyboard scream too weird for mainstream, too weird for me. But, you know, every time I turn my Z10 sideways I can't help but think "man, I wish I had a phone that could view this content properly."

The fact of the matter is there is a certain reality about the way I use my phone. I don't use it for a lot of entertainment, but for the consumption of information. When I get bored I don't play games (aside form the likes of solitaire), I don't watch movies, I hardly play any music, and I don't use a lot of apps. Some would say I've failed to find the phones true potential or that I live in the world of BB and don't know what it's like on the other side, but to be honest I've been over on the Apple side and never understood what the fuss was about all these apps.

What I do do is read. That is, if I get bored I'll look for a good article to read, or browse a forum. Be it on my desktop computer (I'm in front of a desktop for most of the day) or at my laptop (things getting dusty) or on a tablet (haven't used it since my Z10 took over) I almost always default directly to the Internet for "entertainment." And, being as I generally favour a desktop to do most of my computing on, that is if I have access to one, it has started to pull at me. The Passport, that fugly thing, might actually be my ideal device.

I mean, I had to ask myself, as I turned my Z10 sideways, how am I ever going to get the benefits of a desktop computer in a device that fits in my pants pocket and it dawned on me that the Passport actually fits this role. Something I knew I always wanted but never really knew what it was. A 1:1 screen to mimic an actual book or monitor as close as possible (with none of this rotating, I don't rotate my monitors) and actual physical keyboard and some sort of mouse or pointing device. It's all more or less there...

Did someone say "mobile computing?"
    Thunderbuck, ubizmo and neoberry99 like this.
    09-03-14 07:32 PM
    I've always been a full touch person but not because I hated a physical keyboard and touchpad. I just didn't really want to give up the screen real estate.

The passport seems to be the perfect device for me as it doesn't sacrifice one for the other. I don't see how it's fugly either. Every phone looks fugly in crappy spy shots. The passport looks fine and isn't just another boring slab like every other phone.

Posted via CB10
    Cortizo5 likes this.
    09-03-14 10:01 PM
    My first thought was that BlackBerry designed it to be a "fringe" device with a limited following. Something they designed more to get folks talking than for actual sales. But the more I see it the more I know I simply must have it. But now, not only are folks talking about it and how it's an "outside the box" idea, but they're actually coveting the Passport. It's turned around so much that folks are rationalizing the size/shape rather than poo-pooing it like at first. Passport is changing some minds.
    09-03-14 10:08 PM
    As mentioned so much is geared to 16-9 screen so media would be viewed as if you were on a 3.75 approx screen. So despite the overall size any media viewed is going to be smaller.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    09-04-14 12:16 AM
    I was on the fence about it for awhile. Mostly due to the keyboard only being 3 rows now. But the size was also a slight issue. So when I saw a case available on ebay, I ordered it to get an honest feel for the size. And I can now say, I'm fine with it. Size is no longer an issue. On its specs, functionality, and touch capacitive keyboard, I'm definitely sold. But I will wait to get a real world experience with this device.

Subscribe to Tri County Catering and Party Idea Channel. Pin #C00123065
    09-04-14 12:34 AM
    Me.
    Years ago, I hated my first all touch screen phone.
    Then I got a Bold 9900 and fell in love.
    Then the 10, and now the 30, but I forget what it's like to use a pkb.
    That's what made me write off the Passport. I thought I like the touch keyboard.
    But now, I think the Passport is what I want in a phone, but am a bit nervous about going back to the pkb now.
    Weird eh......

Z30 user and lover.
    09-04-14 01:09 AM
    When I first saw the 2d pics I thought it was awful and the huge screen reminded me of the usability nightmare I experienced with my Note 2. I also remember when the rumours suggested a 5" screen which I thought was much too big.

After seeing the video of JC holding and using the device, suddenly everything changed. The stainless steel bands on the sides, how sleek and professional the device looked and all of the features of the keyboard that had leaked suddenly made this device very interesting indeed! Now I'm 99% certain that this device will be my next phone, it just seems ideal for me and it looks unique and stylish in its own way and the more info I hear about it, the more I want it. Hopefully this will be the game changer for blackberry and get them noticed again!

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 02:40 AM
    The first time I saw that ugly square prototype image I was convinced that BlackBerry had lost the plot but now getting it on launch day so my perspective definitely changed.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 02:50 AM
    I'm not totally on board with it. It's not ugly as a whole phone. As a matter of fact I think it's beautiful and elegant. But AS A WHOLE.

Those keys are so ******* ugly with the fonts all stretched out and ****. That is the only reason why I'm on the fence about the passport. Maybe the lack of micro HDMI too, but still.

Otherwise, like I said, it is beautiful as a whole. The touch enabled keys will be divine too! I owned a Z10 before the Q10 and the only thing I really miss is the gesture swipe left for whole word deletion. The swipe up for word suggestions too, I guess, but I can live with just typing everything. Haha

Can someone just address the ugly fat fonts on those keys to BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 03:15 AM
    I hope it does very well for BBRY, personally not of my taste and thou I am not a fan of it's styling I really hope others will clamor to it and make this round a good thing for the company.
    My Z10 has been phenomenal and until a better than Z30 suitable full touch replacement pops up I think I am going to wait this one out.
    09-04-14 03:49 AM
    I thought it was the ugliest.

Now I'm getting it as soon as Shop BlackBerry carries it or T-Mobile begs BlackBerry to let them sell their phones again... which I don't see their CEO doing anytime soon.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 04:03 AM
    The fact of the matter is there is a certain reality about the way I use my phone. I don't use it for a lot of entertainment, but for the consumption of information. When I get bored I don't play games (aside form the likes of solitaire), I don't watch movies, I hardly play any music, and I don't use a lot of apps. Some would say I've failed to find the phones true potential or that I live in the world of BB and don't know what it's like on the other side, but to be honest I've been over on the Apple side and never understood what the fuss was about all these apps.
    This matches the reality of my smartphone experience as well, although I do listen to music and podcasts regularly, tasks that are neutral as to screen size and shape. But video and games (which some people insist on calling "media", as if books, music, and podcasts were not media) are a very small part of that experience. And that, I think, is an important demarcation line. If video and games are high on your list of things you do with your phone, you probably want a large 16:9 screen to get the best experience.

What I do do is read. That is, if I get bored I'll look for a good article to read, or browse a forum. Be it on my desktop computer (I'm in front of a desktop for most of the day) or at my laptop (things getting dusty) or on a tablet (haven't used it since my Z10 took over) I almost always default directly to the Internet for "entertainment." And, being as I generally favour a desktop to do most of my computing on, that is if I have access to one, it has started to pull at me. The Passport, that fugly thing, might actually be my ideal device.
    Same here, although my reading includes a lot of Kindle books, so that's a key item for me. Apart from that, I use GNewsReader a lot on my Q10, and regularly open articles in the browser to save them in ReadItNow, to look at later in a more pleasing format. This cycle is a large chunk of my smartphone time.

I had an S4 for seven months, and a Galaxy Blaze 4G for five, so that's a year of Android experience. It wasn't terrible at all, but even with all the apps available, I found I was still doing these same things with my phone. I had some utility apps to make the Android phones work more to my liking: a launcher, a brightness controller, a profile scheduler, Greenify (to force certain stubborn apps to hibernate when not in use), etc. I used AquaMail instead of the default Gmail and Email apps, to have a unified inbox and nice interface. I neither need nor want a launcher on BB10, nor do I want an alternative to the Hub. I'm satisfied with the BB10 brightness controls, and I have a profile scheduler (currently using Watcher for this). In short, after installing the stuff that I've been mentioning here, I'm not always looking for new apps.

I mean, I had to ask myself, as I turned my Z10 sideways, how am I ever going to get the benefits of a desktop computer in a device that fits in my pants pocket and it dawned on me that the Passport actually fits this role.
    I've never really liked having to turn a device sideways to use it. It interrupts the flow of whatever I'm doing.
    09-04-14 07:50 AM
    Initially I just couldnt stand it, the shape, the gimped keyboard, it wasnt something I was interested in at all. Im not sure if its the desperate need for an upgrade or hearing about the features has me intrigued. Im not 100% sold as I really do have to get my hands on it and feel the physical dimensions of the device, but as Im sure many of you have, when the most recent specs leaked I made a paper mock-up and it didnt seem anywhere near as big as the earlier prototypes did. I think its going to be very manageable sizewise for me. I get a great big sharp screen, a really solid camera, and keep my keys. For my purposes its a win on all those fronts. I do really hope the Android Apps function smoothly on it. I would certainly give up a bit of screen space to get a 4:3 ratio with black bars if it means they work better and I have more options with the Amazon App store.
    09-04-14 08:47 AM
    I support the Passport but I am not buying it (if that makes sense)

I will watch from the sidelines and act accordingly
    09-04-14 12:10 PM
    Initially wrote off. Then fell in love. Now some concern with keyboard placement and how feels in the hands

While everyone sang praises for the beautiful htc m8. It was way too uncomfortable in the hands. Found it top heavy and awkward typing low. The Passport will be better but how much better?

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 01:55 PM
    I think whether you use a touchscreen or pkb, there is an adjustment phase of a few weeks.
    Either will be fine. However, pkb for the win.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 01:57 PM
    Me for sure. I wanted a Z30 looking device with keyboard, hated this thing. Now, I LOVE IT. The keyboard with letters and numbers all visible at once "hybrid physical/touch" and massive screen + specs has me VERY excited now!

Counting the days. (well, not sure how many but I'm still counting!)

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 03:27 PM
    lol as a matter of fact I had the Passport in my hands @ BlackBerry
    Experience London and I didn't think much of it. But the more I see it, the cooler it gets!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by H4zN; 09-05-14 at 07:00 AM.
    09-04-14 03:30 PM
    This guy right here

Posted via CB10 on my SwagBerry Z10
    09-05-14 06:38 AM
    I definitely disliked the device when the first images went around, but the finished product is much nicer looking, and the keyboard seems novel. It looks like it would be very useful in my courses where I need to write papers and such, so I will pick one up one way or another.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 04:03 PM
90 1234