I might be a little crazy trying to do this, but I have an old BB Bold 9700 (T-Mobile). I recently unlocked it and tried using an AT&T SIM card in it. I've read through all the guides about setting up the Bold to work in this scenario, but nothing seems to be working. Just thought I'd post here if anyone has any other suggestions.

- Running BB v6.0
    - The SIM Card seems to be recognized under Advanced Options/SIM - there's an ID # showing, but the phone won't connect to the network (in SOS mode only); this would seem to mean there isn't a 'seating' problem with the SIM card itself (I saw some posts about inserting paper above it)
    - I entered the recommended APN settings for AT&T 3G (wap.cingular/[email protected], pw: cingular1)

The above seemed like the most obvious issues to fix the problem, but nothing has worked so far.

I tried registering the phone on the AT&T blackberry page (https://att.blackberry.com/) but it says the device isn't registered. On the phone, the host routing table won't let me register until there's a data connection.

The browser doesn't work with either the SIM card in or out. Could the phone just be broken...?

Thanks!
    03-03-18 05:23 PM
    The account HAS to be provisioned by AT&T to include BIS. It doesn't just happen. Then, the proper service books can be sent to the phone once the SIM is recognized by the network.
    03-03-18 07:35 PM
    I checked and they did provision it for blackberry service. The only explanation I got was the phone defaults to 2G/3G and it's looking for a 2G network first, which have been shut down in my area. It seems like the most likely explanation since everything else is set up correctly. A bit surprising though since I see the phone model is still being sold. Thanks for replying.
    03-05-18 08:19 AM
    Yes, me too. I will continue using Z30 as long as possible and not buy any more BlackBerry devices. If I am forced to or want to buy an android set then I might as well buy any other android.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-18 03:02 AM
    Yes, me too. I will continue using Z30 as long as possible and not buy any more BlackBerry devices. If I am forced to or want to buy an android set then I might as well buy any other android.

Posted via CB10
    That’s why BB left the hardware business.
    03-07-18 06:51 AM
    That’s why BB left the hardware business.
    Your point is they had to build less reliable devices?
    Or just leave hardware business?

Posted via CB10
    03-07-18 06:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    Planned obsolescence is how things are with every type of product. Loyal customers who don’t buy new devices aren’t really good for business. When BB customers paid monthly BIS charges, then, BB loved that loyalty. Once you stop paying, your loyalty gets in the way of the next sale.

Since BB was never really good at marketing hardware or to consumers in general, the only viable option was leaving hardware.
    03-07-18 07:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Which devices are those? If you are talking about BlackBerry Android, they don't make the devices.
    03-07-18 07:34 AM
    I checked and they did provision it for blackberry service. The only explanation I got was the phone defaults to 2G/3G and it's looking for a 2G network first, which have been shut down in my area. It seems like the most likely explanation since everything else is set up correctly. A bit surprising though since I see the phone model is still being sold. Thanks for replying.
    Still being sold..... what does that mean?

If AT&T were offering it that might mean something, if BlackBerry was still manufacturing and selling them, that might or might not mean something.

But the 9700 has been out of production for close to seven years, just because you can find one on eBay or from some 3rd party seller, doesn't mean it's still a viable product on today's networks.

Why are you using Cingular APN settings... if your using this on a prepaid service that uses AT&T's network... it's doubtful it is going to work.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-08-18 07:18 AM
    It ended up working perfectly on a T-Mobile pre-paid plan.
    03-08-18 10:04 AM
    I can’t imagine crackberry without Blackberry OS. We don’t have anything to talk about lol. We have android central with bunch of android topics.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-08-18 11:42 AM
    I can’t imagine crackberry without Blackberry OS. We don’t have anything to talk about lol. We have android central with bunch of android topics.
    Never thought of this.

Eventually this is going to happen.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-18 02:59 PM
    Planned obsolescence is how things are with every type of product. Loyal customers who don’t buy new devices aren’t really good for business. When BB customers paid monthly BIS charges, then, BB loved that loyalty. Once you stop paying, your loyalty gets in the way of the next sale.

Since BB was never really good at marketing hardware or to consumers in general, the only viable option was leaving hardware.
    OK!(I got your point)
    But I guess I should like and be able to use they're phone! And abounding their own OS is not a good way to ask for loyalty from customers!

Posted via CB10
    03-08-18 03:09 PM
    OK!(I got your point)
    But I guess I should like and be able to use they're phone! And abounding their own OS is not a good way to ask for loyalty from customers!

Posted via CB10
    BB10 lost $$ Billions. Management has responsibility to shareholders to stop wasting cash for NO reason. BB doesn't care about customer loyalty because BB has nothing to sell those customers anymore. Remember that BB has left the hardware business...
    03-08-18 03:17 PM
    BB10 lost $$ Billions. Management has responsibility to shareholders to stop wasting cash for NO reason. BB doesn't care about customer loyalty because BB has nothing to sell those customers anymore. Remember that BB has left the hardware business...
    Really interested in this part :"Management has responsibility to shareholders to stop wasting cash for NO reason"
    And what the hell management was doing when BB was light years behind the actual market?
    If there was even slightest management today we could see BB10 as one of successful platform out in the market!
    So as I can see it was all management fault that BB10 got busted and nearly bankrupt BBMo!

Posted via CB10
    03-08-18 03:26 PM
    Which devices are those? If you are talking about BlackBerry Android, they don't make the devices.
    Are you lost buddy?
    Check out the thread title!

Posted via CB10
    03-08-18 03:27 PM
    Really interested in this part :"Management has responsibility to shareholders to stop wasting cash for NO reason"
    And what the hell management was doing when BB was light years behind the actual market?
    If there was even slightest management today we could see BB10 as one of successful platform out in the market!
    So as I can see it was all management fault that BB10 got busted and nearly bankrupt BBMo!

Posted via CB10
    Current management came on board after BB10 and other efforts to save BB failed. BB should have moved straight to becoming Android OEM back in 2008-2009. The reality is BBOS was a dead man walking once Android/IOS came out and ecosystems were developed before the purchase of QNX was even finalized. Management did a good job keeping BBOS running and generating BIS revenues another five years after introduction of Android/IOS. The founders of BB never expected BB10 to succeed. It just bought time and plausible deniabilty for previous executive management.
    03-08-18 03:42 PM
    You sound so insecure. All the more reason to stay on the GooBerry site.
    03-08-18 10:02 PM
    Current management came on board after BB10 and other efforts to save BB failed. BB should have moved straight to becoming Android OEM back in 2008-2009. The reality is BBOS was a dead man walking once Android/IOS came out and ecosystems were developed before the purchase of QNX was even finalized. Management did a good job keeping BBOS running and generating BIS revenues another five years after introduction of Android/IOS. The founders of BB never expected BB10 to succeed. It just bought time and plausible deniabilty for previous executive management.
    That's what happens to a company which sits at top for very long time!(actually standing still and doing nothing when competitors have been keeping up and improving themselves killed BBMo and BB10)
    Nope moving to android wasn't and isn't a good idea!
    They had to instead of implementing android runtime in BB10, start to build ecosystem (even if they started at 2010 it would lead to success!)
    And I can assure you the lack of good developing SDK was one of major problem! (yea I do have build some app on BB SDK and it was very confusing deposit having experience with C/C++ and doing lots of coding at hardware level for linux)
    Anyway I think past is past! We have to look forward to future! (personally I hope BB continue to grow bigger and bigger in any aspects of they're work like IoT and licensing top secure software)

Posted via CB10
    03-09-18 03:37 AM
    Well good point!
    I guess there are good people like contie and Chuck Finley69 to talk and discuss over different matters.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-09-18 03:44 AM
    Unlikely to adopt BB 10 as the main phone simply because BB is unable to support app like snapchat, weechat, whatsapp etc which are so essential for day to day interaction and communication.
    So, BB phones are slowly becoming old nokia phone for sms and voice call very soon.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-18 05:28 AM
    CrackBerry is for users of any BB model user to interact and to share some good news. Right?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-18 05:32 AM
    That's what happens to a company which sits at top for very long time!(actually standing still and doing nothing when competitors have been keeping up and improving themselves killed BBMo and BB10)
    Nope moving to android wasn't and isn't a good idea!
    They had to instead of implementing android runtime in BB10, start to build ecosystem (even if they started at 2010 it would lead to success!)
    And I can assure you the lack of good developing SDK was one of major problem! (yea I do have build some app on BB SDK and it was very confusing deposit having experience with C/C++ and doing lots of coding at hardware level for linux)
    Anyway I think past is past! We have to look forward to future! (personally I hope BB continue to grow bigger and bigger in any aspects of they're work like IoT and licensing top secure software)

Posted via CB10
    It would have never led to success. BB never had the economic resources to compete with Apple, Google or Microsoft. If BB10 was ever viable, any of their competitors would have bought to either build (Microsoft) or competitively shutdown (Apple or Google).

The biggest reason for BB10 failure with BB as the developer is that BB10 eliminated BIS revenue. BB could never have been successful without monetization sources to help support a hardware business. Apple, Google and Microsoft have other products that generate BILLIONS of $$ in revenues. All BB had was BBOS and the BIS revenue it generated.

Android represented the only potential solution because it was the only viable OS developed and offered free. Even that would have been unlikely years earlier because it doesn't solve the problem of lost BIS revenue.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-09-18 06:25 AM
    That's what happens to a company which sits at top for very long time!
    This is the fallacy that provides the biggest hurdle to having a rational discussion. If you believe they were at the top and lost it all, it's impossible to make sense of what happened. You need a strong foundation of the history, that while the leader in security, they never held close to a majority of the smartphone market, in order to correctly view the past, and appreciate the direction for the future.
    03-09-18 06:43 AM
    This is the fallacy that provides the biggest hurdle to having a rational discussion. If you believe they were at the top and lost it all, it's impossible to make sense of what happened. You need a strong foundation of the history, that while the leader in security, they never held close to a majority of the smartphone market, in order to correctly view the past, and appreciate the direction for the future.
    Technically they held a majority back when the smartphone market was a couple hundred thousand business (enterprise & prosumers) users at most. Apple made the next gen smartphone, a consumer product that everyone wanted to have, and Google jumped right in too. What BlackBerry never really had was a consumer smartphone product that appealed to the masses. At this point Apple sell more phone in a quarter than it took BlackBerry to sell in five years in their prime.

BB10 had potential as an OS... but it needed a few more years of development to reach real "greatness". In the end, it was the wrong choice for BlackBerry in 2010... but really their only choice as Android wasn't ready for security at that point. Best BlackBerry could have done with Android in 2010 was something along the lines of Silent Circle, a hardened but forked version that would not be app Google Play friendly. But it might have allowed them to remain as an enterprise supplier....
    03-09-18 08:25 AM
324 ... 89101112 ...