But most businesses are now based around apps for getting work done in a secure way.

"BlackBerry Dynamics provides the foundation for secure enterprise mobility by offering an advanced, mature and tested container for mobile apps. Part of BlackBerry Secure, a comprehensive endpoint-to-endpoint approach to security, it’s designed to eliminate the risk of data leakage by delivering proven security at the app level. With BlackBerry Dynamics, your apps are BlackBerry Secure.

Built for the most demanding businesses and delivering high availability, disaster recovery and industry-leading scalability, BlackBerry Dynamics is the enterprise-ready solution for meeting critical mobile needs. It includes BlackBerry Analytics, which enables organizations and developers to monitor Dynamics App activity and create a full lifecycle management process for deployed apps.

BlackBerry Work delivers an all-in-one, secure collaborative business experience on any device. It combines enterprise email, calendar, contacts, presence, document access, document editing and more, allowing you to effectively mobilize your workforce. With BlackBerry Work, your users can complete any business workflow on-the-go—without returning to their desktops."
    That's fair, and I should have mentioned it. What we're seeing is two very different mobile imolementations: a more secure app model for enterprise, and the one we're all familiar with for consumer.

However, the fact remains that the explosion of mobile apps driven by the lower barriers to entry that app stores offer has resulted in a lot amateurish devs writing poorly architected and vulnerable code.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-16-18 11:11 AM
    the explosion of mobile apps driven by the lower barriers to entry that app stores offer has resulted in a lot amateurish devs writing poorly architected and vulnerable code.
    I would say that we have all levels of quality and security well represented.
    02-16-18 11:13 AM
    I would say that we have all levels of quality and security well represented.
    Agreed. And there are sophisticated initiatives designed to improve security in software design.

But, in my experience, it sure seems like we have more "developers" writing code than we have competent software engineers.

02-16-18 11:25 AM
    Who says that BlackBerry will stick to the suggested two year end of support for bb10 OS? Things change with time. Who knows?

Posted via CB10
    Do tell what exactly you think will change.

An even faster exodus from BB10 phones?

That's my prediction.
    02-16-18 11:59 AM
    If you don't use Google's free apps, including Gmail, Google Maps, etc, and don't link your personal Google account to the phone, there's not a lot of Android data that can be used for marketing.

I set up my KEYone with my work phone number and two Google/Android accounts:

1) a GSuite account for Android for Work. This is the account I use for all of my paid professional apps.

2) a single-use "fake" personal Google account that I use for nothing else except Android and Google Play. This Google account has no personally identifiable information associated with it, (different name, age, gender, country, etc.) which means that I never use it for paid apps or any apps that have my information in it. ( I don't download any social networking or banking apps with this account, for example. ). The only apps I install using this account are things like a Metronome app and other free apps with no PID.

I use Google Maps with that personal account, so Google might try to market to the fictitious person I created, but I don't even have email configured for that account, so I would never know.

I use BlackBerry Hub for my seven email accounts, calendars, etc., including my own Office 365 E3 account, my GSuite account, etc.

I don't use the Gmail app, obviously, or Google's calendar apps, etc. I use Firefox for my personal Web browsing with another alias Firefox account, and I use a VPN. I don't use Chrome at all on my Android phone.

This doesn't mean that Google doesn't collect any telemetry data from my use of the phone, but there just isn't a lot of my personal information that it could collect. My phone number is my work number, which Google is welcome to.

I do use Signal with friends and Family, tied to my work account in Google Play, but with my personal info in the app. I'm comfortable that Google doesn't access data inside Signal.

So, Google can collect some information about me, but the company does not snoop around GSuite accounts like it does consumer Google accounts, because they don't have to monetize paid accounts.

The main sacrifice is to simply not use the phone for personal activities, such as banking, Netflix, etc., but I'm hardwired that way in any case. My phone is a work tool, not a personal one, except for email, calendars, etc. I've never taken a private selfie in my life, though I've taken a number of professional ones.

Again, if you want to do consumer things with your phone, you will have to sacrifice some privacy. That's true on any platform. Luckily for me, I'm a boring work drone.

My point being, if you have to do all of that just to protect your privacy, something is clearly wrong.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-16-18 04:22 PM
    My point being, if you have to do all of that just to protect your privacy, something is clearly wrong.
    Nothing in this world is free.
    02-16-18 05:31 PM
    Caveat Emptor isn't exactly a new concept... Lol.
    02-16-18 07:01 PM
    As long as it still make call, text and email. I'm fine with it.
    Just wonder, will BB consider make a passport 2? Key1 keyboard just too small to type on.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-18 09:25 PM
    As long as it still make call, text and email. I'm fine with it.
    Just wonder, will BB consider make a passport 2? Key1 keyboard just too small to type on.

Posted via CB10
    Must have never tried the Torch 9800.

Joel
    02-16-18 11:37 PM
    No. Passport is my 1St BlackBerry. I have window Phone b4.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-18 04:41 AM
    Well, yes. The issue is that there are huge privacy and security issues built into the Internet and connected products. The easiest way to avoid them on mobile is to not link your identity to a personal mobile phone. That's basically what I have described.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a personal mobile phone, but caveat emptor, you should know what you're trading for the convenience.

BB10 is much better than Android and iOS For the simple reason that BlackBerry's app store and business model never caught on. If it had, we would likely have had many of the same issues on its platform.

02-17-18 06:00 AM
    Sorry if I missed it but has anyone found a way to save or manage the BB10 apps after the Blackberry World Store closes? I would love to know if there is a way to continue afterwards.
    02-18-18 01:04 AM
    Nothing in this world is free.
    Could address better contie!
    BTW no pain no gain!

Posted via CB10
    02-18-18 02:36 AM
    Really we cant ?
    02-18-18 06:29 AM
    Sorry if I missed it but has anyone found a way to save or manage the BB10 apps after the Blackberry World Store closes? I would love to know if there is a way to continue afterwards.
    If you still have a PC that BlackBerry Link is still functional, you should be able to save a backup of your device and restore the apps from that backup file later of you ever need to reinstall them.
    02-18-18 11:48 AM
    Well, she maintains some social networks on her PC, but has said repeatedly that she "doesn't want that time-wasting crap" on her phone. She probably spends 2-3 hours a week on social media at her desk and at home.

Wait till her best friends (other than you) start using a social medium and she feels left out.

My (better-half) wife, finally gave up her Windows 1520 when our kids and her girlfriends all started using iPhones. I'm the last BlackBerry holdout in my family and I've gone BBAndroid only.

They all laugh at me because my social media is SMS/MMS.
    ss_au likes this.
    02-18-18 12:20 PM
    Wait till her best friends (other than you) start using a social medium and she feels left out.

My (better-half) wife, finally gave up her Windows 1520 when our kids and her girlfriends all started using iPhones. I'm the last BlackBerry holdout in my family and I've gone BBAndroid only.

They all laugh at me because my social media is SMS/MMS.
    Well, she has plenty of friends on Facebook, but, even for the four years she carried an iPhone she said she didn't like the constant FB notifications on mobile. She tells her friends to BBM or SMS if they want to include her in real time, and she reviews FB on her PC once or twice a week.

02-18-18 12:29 PM
    Well, she has plenty of friends on Facebook, but, even for the four years she carried an iPhone she said she didn't like the constant FB notifications on mobile. She tells her friends to BBM or SMS if they want to include her in real time, and she reviews FB on her PC once or twice a week.

People seem to forget that *most* people still have that old school 'phone' app included on their device. No matter how social media evolves and however / whatever people use to contact each other, you're not going to get forgotten about because you aren't as 'always online' as others might happen to be.

I prefer to be 'always available' but not always 'online'. Anyone in my circle knows how to reach me and that's because my personal messaging habits have easily shown what is the most efficient way for us to do so.

If someone sends me a message on Facebook and I haven't replied for several hours but I then receive an SMS message and reply within minutes, which do you think they will eventually default to? Perhaps they will just stop trying to contact me altogether but, if the relationship were that finicky, then so be it and farewell to that fair-weather friend.
    02-18-18 01:40 PM
    People seem to forget that *most* people still have that old school 'phone' app included on their device. No matter how social media evolves and however / whatever people use to contact each other, you're not going to get forgotten about because you aren't as 'always online' as others might happen to be.

I prefer to be 'always available' but not always 'online'. Anyone in my circle knows how to reach me and that's because my personal messaging habits have easily shown what is the most efficient way for us to do so.

If someone sends me a message on Facebook and I haven't replied for several hours but I then receive an SMS message and reply within minutes, which do you think they will eventually default to? Perhaps they will just stop trying to contact me altogether but, if the relationship were that finicky, then so be it and farewell to that fair-weather friend.
    I think some people genuinely enjoy the frequent pinging of notifications on their phones. My wife is not one of them! And I definitely don't mind being left off of the list for online-only group chatter.

For me, FB is a useful "address book" to help me locate my friends, but I still prefer email, snail mail, phone and/or dedicated secure chat channels over social networks for actual communication.

02-18-18 01:47 PM

I'm the same with social media. However, most people have evolved to be different social media because it's just human nature to evolve with times. For many, there's a convenience factor within their generation. Some people see no reason for a mobile device.
    02-18-18 01:48 PM
    I rarely post on Facebook. Maybe twice or 3 times a year. I have it on my phone but only look at it for family related stuff a few times a week. I have an android phone (Galaxy S8) and turn off all sounds but for emails, calendar appointments, and texts (yes, SMS/MMS). I see on-screen notifications for a few more apps - the status line icons - but it's otherwise quiet.

Although my emails ding all day long from my work address. But it did that on my old Z10. So I'm at about the same audible notification level I've always been.

I had deleted Facebook off the Z10 because I didn't like how it forced itself into my contacts and Hub with an active account. I realize that the latest OS gets rid of the native app, so that's not an issue anymore.

My wife keeps up on Facebook all the time, but she does that on the PC. She has never accessed it from her iPhone. In fact, she refuses to log in from her phone.
    02-18-18 02:02 PM
    I rarely post on Facebook. Maybe twice or 3 times a year. I have it on my phone but only look at it for family related stuff a few times a week. I have an android phone (Galaxy S8) and turn off all sounds but for emails, calendar appointments, and texts (yes, SMS/MMS). I see on-screen notifications for a few more apps - the status line icons - but it's otherwise quiet.

Although my emails ding all day long from my work address. But it did that on my old Z10. So I'm at about the same audible notification level I've always been.

I had deleted Facebook off the Z10 because I didn't like how it forced itself into my contacts and Hub with an active account. I realize that the latest OS gets rid of the native app, so that's not an issue anymore.

My wife keeps up on Facebook all the time, but she does that on the PC. She has never accessed it from her iPhone. In fact, she refuses to log in from her phone.
    Generational thing.... it's not a matter of do you use it, or if your wife or anyone else in your generation uses it.

And I'm pretty sure Facebook isn't what it once was, most the "kids" today seem to be more into Instagram, WhatsApp or SnapChat than FaceBook.
    02-20-18 09:14 AM
    Does anyone know how many BB10 users are using this devices right now?

Posted via CB10
    02-20-18 12:30 PM
    1-2 million maybe
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-20-18 12:35 PM
    Does anyone know how many BB10 users are using this devices right now?

Posted via CB10
    My guess is around a million.
    shgurbanov and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-20-18 12:36 PM
324 ... 678910 ...