There is one ray of sunshine to be found in the Blackberry Privacy Policy as it applies to BB devices and information collection.

Read as a whole, they can collect and sell "aggregated" anonymous data. With location services and the first six digits of the phone number being considered "not personally identifiable" the data set is better than many.

As long as it is cheaper to run the servers than the revenues generated, they may want to continue collecting and selling the data.

There is a reason that a BBID is required for certain services that could be accomplished without that requirement. It is a unique tracking element.
    02-06-18 08:26 PM
    There is one ray of sunshine to be found in the Blackberry Privacy Policy as it applies to BB devices and information collection.

Read as a whole, they can collect and sell "aggregated" anonymous data. With location services and the first six digits of the phone number being considered "not personally identifiable" the data set is better than many.

As long as it is cheaper to run the servers than the revenues generated, they may want to continue collecting and selling the data.

There is a reason that a BBID is required for certain services that could be accomplished without that requirement. It is a unique tracking element.
    I'm sure Emtek has some interest in tracking BBM users, just another reason not to use BBM anymore.

But "anonymous" data from BlackBerry has very little value for marketers at this point...
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-07-18 08:43 AM
    An almost 7 year old device by then. Are you a museum curator?
    Well Conite... I use a keyone as my primary phone, but for mutiple email accounts and notifications, even this low end Q5 blows it away.

My keyone had an unsolicited 'my activity' event with Android on the weekend at 3am whilst I was sleeping and now - am not getting email through the Hub. Now have to re set up HUB with UEM. Never had that problem on my z10.

A few missed snapchat notifications are no big deal, but when relying on work emails to arrive, it is.

Old school reliability never goes out of fashion for this curator.
    Q5SQR100-1/10.3.2.2639

Posted via CB10
    Qorax and Jon Wiggy like this.
    02-07-18 06:23 PM
    Thanks guys for different perspectives on the after-end-of-life future of the BlackBerry 10 smartphones. I do enjoy my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition currently. And, besides, been waiting patiently for my brand new BlackBerry Classic (my friend returned the old one which didn't charge at all - impossible to ship it via mail from Germany, they don't accept itmes with battery in it.) to arrive to my country

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    02-08-18 11:00 AM
    I've been using my Nokia e52 for many years, a Symbian in 3rd Generated from 2009.

The phone still does a fantastic Job, BUT:

1. There are no new apps out there
    2. The app store (Ovi) has already closed
    3. Almost all plattforms don't support their Symbian apps anymore (like Skype or Whatsapp), so I can't use these services on my Nokia anymore
    4. Nokia switched off the email client, so it is not possible to imap or pop my emails anymore, same is related to Sync, Maps and Communicator (something like BBM)
    5. No security updates have been released since 2012 or something like that

On the other hand, the phone works flawlessly, the OS does its job.

Btw, I also still use an old Siemens from 2002, everything works as it did on first day.
    ezubeBB2013 and tommel2 like this.
    02-08-18 01:23 PM
    I was wondering, does the Blackberry Pearl 8100 still work* today?

*as a communicating device (calls, text etc.)
    Only for communicating (calls, txt) -yes.
    I mean Full functionality -BIS (for BBOS) BBM/ BB Protect for BB10.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-09-18 01:34 PM
    Posted via CB10
    02-09-18 02:02 PM
    I Love my passport always and I will use it for work everyday.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-18 02:04 PM
    As I posted earlier, if you're on AT&T, not even that.

AT&T shut down their 2G/Edge network just over a year ago. With the 8100, even calls and txt are dead. Since it doesn't have wi-fi, there's no access to data, so no BIS from any source.

The 8120 had wi-fi, but I think that was a T-Mobile phone. And I think T-Mobile still has their 2G network going for now.
    02-09-18 02:38 PM
    Ah, good to know that. This means our BB10 devices will be communicating beyond 2020 as well
    02-09-18 03:15 PM
    The thought of BlackBerry 10 going dead is indeed a bonechilling thought. Thankfully, it looks like they can still be used as phones, but not so much smartphones.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-09-18 06:18 PM
    The thought of BlackBerry 10 going dead is indeed a bonechilling thought. Thankfully, it looks like they can still be used as phones, but not so much smartphones.
    By then, there should be plenty of Android Berries to choose from to not even have to worry hanging onto what will then be antiques
    02-10-18 02:00 PM
    By then, there should be plenty of Android Berries to choose from to not even have to worry hanging onto what will then be antiques
    There are still some things that us holdouts are obviously hoping we will see that will entice us to make the leap.

Form factor is one thing, sure... but the software still needs more BlackBerry than what some of us can see from the outside.

A couple big ones for me:

•An integrated file manager with built in secure remote access to my computer (and visa versa)

•Swipe into the Hub from anywhere on the OS. This is what keeps me feeling like I am carrying around a communications device as opposed to an 'app launcher' of which the Hub is just another app. I was quite happy to see what they had done with the BlackBerry launcher on the Priv but then disappointed to find out that for whatever reason, it seems to have not been kept for the KEYone and Motion.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-10-18 07:08 PM
    There are still some things that us holdouts are obviously hoping we will see that will entice us to make the leap.

Form factor is one thing, sure... but the software still needs more BlackBerry than what some of us can see from the outside.

A couple big ones for me:

•An integrated file manager with built in secure remote access to my computer (and visa versa)

•Swipe into the Hub from anywhere on the OS. This is what keeps me feeling like I am carrying around a communications device as opposed to an 'app launcher' of which the Hub is just another app. I was quite happy to see what they had done with the BlackBerry launcher on the Priv but then disappointed to find out that for whatever reason, it seems to have not been kept for the KEYone and Motion.
    Whether your wish list happens or not doesn't matter to anyone within BB or BBMo at this point. Good luck tho.....
    02-10-18 08:01 PM
    No, but it was to imply that hopefully the "Android Berries" are further developed on the SOFTWARE side and not just more varied in form factor.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-10-18 08:17 PM
    No, but it was to imply that hopefully the "Android Berries" are further developed on the SOFTWARE side and not just more varied in form factor.
    Unfortunately for BB10 fans is that BB and BBMo seem to be catering more to Android fans since there are more of them. I'm being serious with the sincerity of good wishes in the move to Android. I enjoy BBAndroid more than Android. I'm merely commenting that BB and BBMo are no longer in the conversion phase of BB10 users. It appears BB and BBMo are more in the acquisition phase of Android users.

It also seems that PKB is the differentiator going forward and now, software, like the locker, will be new unique features based products not being offered already by third parties. There's definitely software that people want, but it's got to be in volumes that justify resources spent.

For instance, why offer Blend if Pushbullet is available for purchase?
    02-10-18 08:34 PM
    Unfortunately for BB10 fans is that BB and BBMo seem to be catering more to Android fans since there are more of them. I'm being serious with the sincerity of good wishes in the move to Android. I enjoy BBAndroid more than Android. I'm merely commenting that BB and BBMo are no longer in the conversion phase of BB10 users. It appears BB and BBMo are more in the acquisition phase of Android users.

It also seems that PKB is the differentiator going forward and now, software, like the locker, will be new unique features based products not being offered already by third parties. There's definitely software that people want, but it's got to be in volumes that justify resources spent.

For instance, why offer Blend if Pushbullet is available for purchase?
    Well, for me personally, the software needs to be offered to complete the package. Security - how secure is the phone if someone else's software is managing my files?

I understand that they are probably trying to get more Android users than they are BB10 users (larger market there, why wouldn't they)... but they can't leave their 'core' behind and expect it to keep working for them. That core, to me, is beautiful hardware that is loaded with brilliant software. Form meets function. That's what I fell in love with about my first BlackBerry and have continued to admire to now. It's not because I don't like apps that I'm still on BB10...

But, to be completely honest, I don't have the same attraction to their Android offerings because there isn't enough of that uniquely BlackBerry flavour added to it *yet*. The "function" part is still lacking.

At this point, a wait-and-see approach still makes sense for us. I don't really understand how so many people are in an uproar about the speed at which they receive the latest version of Android (or if the update will make it to their device at all). I'm far more concerned to see what BlackBerry adds to their own existing software suite and how much they can build on that differentiation from the rest of the Android world. If all we hear over the next year and a half is about more clients added to the Hub, that's great and all but not enough.

Maybe TCL thinks that they'll ride the BlackBerry brand into the sunset on the physical keyboard alone... and maybe that is actually enough to keep the BlackBerry brand viable in the mobile landscape. But at this point, when it comes to the software side of things, BlackBerry Android is not much more enticing over 'regular Android' than, dare I say it, iOS might be.
    For me, BlackBerry has to prove that they are still somehow committed to the mobile software in their branded devices.

Otherwise, I see history repeating itself once again.
    elfabio80, Qorax and Jan Truksa like this.
    02-10-18 09:57 PM
    Well, for me personally, the software needs to be offered to complete the package. Security - how secure is the phone if someone else's software is managing my files?

I understand that they are probably trying to get more Android users than they are BB10 users (larger market there, why wouldn't they)... but they can't leave their 'core' behind and expect it to keep working for them. That core, to me, is beautiful hardware that is loaded with brilliant software. Form meets function. That's what I fell in love with about my first BlackBerry and have continued to admire to now. It's not because I don't like apps that I'm still on BB10...

But, to be completely honest, I don't have the same attraction to their Android offerings because there isn't enough of that uniquely BlackBerry flavour added to it *yet*. The "function" part is still lacking.

At this point, a wait-and-see approach still makes sense for us. I don't really understand how so many people are in an uproar about the speed at which they receive the latest version of Android (or if the update will make it to their device at all). I'm far more concerned to see what BlackBerry adds to their own existing software suite and how much they can build on that differentiation from the rest of the Android world. If all we hear over the next year and a half is about more clients added to the Hub, that's great and all but not enough.

Maybe TCL thinks that they'll ride the BlackBerry brand into the sunset on the physical keyboard alone... and maybe that is actually enough to keep the BlackBerry brand viable in the mobile landscape. But at this point, when it comes to the software side of things, BlackBerry Android is not much more enticing over 'regular Android' than, dare I say it, iOS might be.
    For me, BlackBerry has to prove that they are still somehow committed to the mobile software in their branded devices.

BB is only committed to whatever BBMo is paying for with licensing and follow-up/add-on payments.

BB knows that not everyone will be happy but that's why they exited hardware to begin with, it's not their "niche". At this point, BB10 is announced EOL. BB and BBMo/TCL know you're going to move eventually and you'll pick something Android/IOS. For BB, the future is the automobile more than just mobile.
    02-11-18 07:07 AM
    Definitely seem so, unless they smarten up their act
    02-11-18 07:19 AM
    FYI the locker is a TCL app actually and severely broke still as well. You can see all files in the locker with any other filemanager unless they fixed the bug
    02-11-18 08:20 AM
    Definitely seem so, unless they smarten up their act
    What history is there? BBMo/TCL is only selling two devices and been in business for a year. Success for them already exists in other markets under different brands they already own.

BBMo/TCL isn't rebuilding some BB phone behemoth rising like some phoenix from the smoldering ashes.

If anything, success for BB will be surpassing it's fellow countrymen in the USA market with carrier distribution.
    02-11-18 08:40 AM
    What history is there? BBMo/TCL is only selling two devices and been in business for a year. Success for them already exists in other markets under different brands they already own.

BBMo/TCL isn't rebuilding some BB phone behemoth rising like some phoenix from the smoldering ashes.

If anything, success for BB will be surpassing it's fellow countrymen in the USA market with carrier distribution.
    I think a lot of people in these forums don't understand how little market share BlackBerry Mobile needs to have a successful product line. Unlike BlackBerry Limited, BlackBerry Mobile has a diversified business and doesn't need BlackBerry phones to cover their manufacturing overhead. They could likely make significant profits on 1M+ phones a years, which would be about 0.1% of the Android market!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-11-18 09:05 AM
    I think a lot of people in these forums don't understand how little market share BlackBerry Mobile needs to have a successful product line. Unlike BlackBerry Limited, BlackBerry Mobile has a diversified business and doesn't need BlackBerry phones to cover their manufacturing overhead. They could likely make significant profits on 1M+ phones a years, which would be about 0.1% of the Android market!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Especially since they control their own assembly lines. Tight inventory control allows them better probability of smaller profit margin versus losses of the past for BB.
    02-11-18 09:11 AM
    FYI the locker is a TCL app actually and severely broke still as well. You can see all files in the locker with any other filemanager unless they fixed the bug
    That's been long fixed. It only happened with a single OS build on the Motion.
    02-11-18 10:07 AM

I think the software is where they want it to be, and I don't see significant changes coming.

We have a really nice HUB, keyboard shortcuts, a productivity tab for peeking, and an app that displays and allows you to interact with the security and permission posture of the device.

No need to clutter things with other "BB10" features that would appeal to almost no one.
    02-11-18 10:18 AM
324 12345 ...