I hear the BlackBerry fairy comes and collects all the BB10 devices and leaves you a shiny penny.
    Well damn! Pennies aren't easy to find up here in Canada any longer.
    Jvaf likes this.
    02-05-18 12:49 AM
    Well damn! Pennies aren't easy to find up here in Canada any longer.
    Whenever I cross the border into Minnesota I always come back with a bunch of pennies in my change. I try to use them at random places just to mess with people.

Also, the grade 1s I work with have never heard of a penny before. Crazy!
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-05-18 07:20 AM
    Plan for the worst and hope of the best.... that's really all anyone can do at this point, as BlackBerry really didn't say what the other services were. I suspect that in two years, it's not really going to matter as BlackBerry will be using these other services to make it hard to stick with BB10.

We don't know how the licensing with BB10 worked, but LOTS of 3rd party license goes into every device. Does BlackBerry pay per active device, or a one time fee that covers however long a device is active? My bet is some are ongoing payments..... Some are clear services that are provided like Maps, and the Assistant (at one time Travel). Other are for use of "technology" like payments to Qualcomm,
    Swiftkey, Adobe, Microsoft and even Apple. At one time you could find a long list of 3rd Party licensing built into BB10 in the settings.

BBOS paid for itself with BIS fees, keeping it going this long made them money. BlackBerry has pretty much given up on hardware, and BBOS is reaching a point where the revenues don't justify the cost... and I suspect 2020 is when they stop paying out anything - licensing, bandwidth, servers.... Some of this probable is covered in the official ending of support - that should be enough to cover most licensing I would think. Those that actively provide continued services.... those will of course stop by that point.

Maybe BB10 will still work, and maybe it will still do phone, email and text just fine.... or maybe not.
    02-05-18 07:57 AM
    BB Protect apparently verifies the validity of the phone anytime it is rebooted, even if you have BB Protect off. It seems to be part of the anti-theft system.

That part is true - they may have some other reasons or obligations to keep those servers running, at least for a while beyond 1/1/2020. But that doesn't necessarily mean they're the same servers (or the same database) being used for Android BBIDs, though they certainly could be.

The real issue is that who can say for sure WHAT the situation is going to be? It's known that BBOS and BB10 have a number of dependencies on BB services, by design, as part of BB's "enhanced security" - which makes BB phones different than Symbian or WebOS or Meego phones that a few people still manage to use today. Given BB's position on phones today (much less 2 years from now), that's a pretty big liability (IMO, anyway) for someone relying on their BB10 phone after 12/31/2019. Technically, that's the end of official support, so after that, things could break at anytime with no warning, and with no solution.

I only bring it up because I'm not sure that everyone has thought it through. Especially those who have given the examples of other older phones still functioning - phones without the dependencies that BB's OSs have - and assuming that it won't be any different for BB10. I think it will be very different.

Certainly, it's POSSIBLE for BB to release an update that removes these dependencies, but does anyone really think it's likely that BB is going to spend the money to develop, test, and deploy those updates given the situation (likely well under 100K BB10 devices in use by 1/1/2020, and the newest being 6 years old)? I don't see it happening.
    As I remember, BB Android (and Android too) BBM consumer working through Emteck's servers in Indonesia. It's not working anymore with BlackBerry Protect service. BBM Enterprise, BBM BBOS/BBM Enterprise BB10 -all of that working on the same NOC. BBM Consumer working on the Indonesia NOC.
    If BB10 like BBOS will be disconnected from NOC, it will be piece of brick.
    02-05-18 01:51 PM
    As I remember, BB Android (and Android too) BBM consumer working through Emteck's servers in Indonesia. It's not working anymore with BlackBerry Protect service. BBM Enterprise, BBM BBOS/BBM Enterprise BB10 -all of that working on the same NOC. BBM Consumer working on the Indonesia NOC.
    More like a feature phone with some internet browsing capability?
    02-05-18 02:19 PM
    More like a feature phone with some internet browsing capability?
    No, a brick. That's worst case, and the one that makes the most sense if BlackBerry wants to cut ALL cost associated with BB10.

Could be anything between that and what there is today.... but that's two years away,
    02-05-18 02:54 PM
    I was wondering, does the Blackberry Pearl 8100 still work* today?

*as a communicating device (calls, text etc.)
    02-05-18 04:03 PM
    I plan on keep using bb10 beyond the end of 2019.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-18 05:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hopefully for you, BB will let you.
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-05-18 05:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    An almost 7 year old device by then. Are you a museum curator?
    Carjackd and kbz1960 like this.
    02-05-18 06:21 PM
    An almost 7 year old device by then. Are you a museum curator?
    Conite,

You seem to completely discount the idea that, for some of us, the entire app revolution is largely irrelevant at work. BB10 devices running their stock native apps are very fast, so newer hardware is not required.

Unless Android seriously improves its game in terms of app interoperability and UX design, I'll continue to use BB10 devices for email indefinitely for the simple reason that it's a better experience.

Right now, in 2018, with the entirety of the Google and Apple app stores at my fingertips for my KEYone and iPad Air, I have yet to find a single app that makes my work day any easier or more effective.

You always say that I should just make a hard cutover to Android, but I can't think of a single reason to do that. The Hub is worse. The email interface is much worse, and the management of notification profiles, file manager, etc. are all unsatisfactory.

I like gadgets, and am pleased with the KEYone as a great gadget for my off duty hours, but it really adds nothing to my professional life. For that reason, I'll use my Passport and Z10 until something better comes along or until they stop working.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Qorax, cbosdell, elfabio80 and 5 others like this.
    02-05-18 07:12 PM
    Conite,

You seem to completely discount the idea that, for some of us, the entire app revolution is largely irrelevant at work. BB10 devices running their stock native apps are very fast, so newer hardware is not required.
    I was joking, however, I would be concerned about the browser in 2020.
    02-05-18 07:18 PM
    I was joking, however, I would be concerned about the browser in 2020.
    Sorry I missed the tone! I worry about the browser already and assume it will be minimally useful by then.

02-05-18 07:20 PM
    Conite,

Unless Android seriously improves its game in terms of app interoperability and UX design, I'll continue to use BB10 devices for email indefinitely for the simple reason that it's a better experience.

Right now, in 2018, with the entirety of the Google and Apple app stores at my fingertips for my KEYone and iPad Air, I have yet to find a single app that makes my work day any easier or more effective.

You always say that I should just make a hard cutover to Android, but I can't think of a single reason to do that. The Hub is worse. The email interface is much worse, and the management of notification profiles, file manager, etc. are all unsatisfactory.

I like gadgets, and am pleased with the KEYone as a great gadget for my off duty hours, but it really adds nothing to my professional life. For that reason, I'll use my Passport and Z10 until something better comes along or until they stop working.

Just to be clear, my reply earlier, is specifically about if BB shuts down BB10 services completely and devices eventually can't secure bootup completely after that. Nothing to do with apps whatsoever.

I didn't think BB10 relied on BB for anything since it uses carrier data. I always thought BB10 devices would bootup like Android/IOS/WP. Few of you started discussing unique security features and I realize we have no solid idea what's happening for sure after 12/2019.
    02-05-18 07:24 PM
    Sorry I missed the tone! I worry about the browser already and assume it will be minimally useful by then.

Of course he was joking. I'm the museum curator around here.
    Qorax, conite and kbz1960 like this.
    02-05-18 07:39 PM
    Just to be clear, my reply earlier, is specifically about if BB shuts down BB10 services completely and devices eventually can't secure bootup completely after that. Nothing to do with apps whatsoever.

I didn't think BB10 relied on BB for anything since it uses carrier data. I always thought BB10 devices would bootup like Android/IOS/WP. Few of you started discussing unique security features and I realize we have no solid idea what's happening for sure after 12/2019.
    We absolutely know that BB10 phones can boot without connecting to servers. The only time they need to do that is to validate the BBID when first setting up the phone. Furthermore, it's very likely that the same servers authenticate BBIDs for all platforms, since this is required for BBOS, PlayBook and Web site support. We won't know for sure unless they tell us, but I don't think BlackBerry will do anything to "kill" their phones after the end of support.

Qorax likes this.
    02-05-18 08:43 PM
    I think we are looking at a bumpy ride for the next two years for bb10 users. I’m going to grab some popcorn because as BlackBerry makes these devices less and less usable ...there is going to be some serious complaining going on. Anyone want to pass me the butter?
    02-05-18 10:33 PM
    ... as BlackBerry makes these devices less and less usable...
    Right, like BlackBerry is going to spend time or money doing anything about their old phones? What would be their motivation to do that. BlackBerry will spend as little time and attention as they can on BB10, with the result being that the phones will very likely work the same two years from now as they do today.

Things that we know will stop working include apps that relay in data from ppaid services, such as BlackBerry Maps and possibly BlackBerry Weather. Other apps with changing standards will become obsolete, such as the browser. But other functions with mature standards such as email, calendar, and contacts may last much longer.

02-05-18 10:51 PM
    Right, like BlackBerry is going to spend time or money doing anything about their old phones? What would be their motivation to do that. BlackBerry will spend as little time and attention as they can on BB10, with the result being that the phones will very likely work the same two years from now as they do today.

Things that we know will stop working include apps that relay in data from ppaid services, such as BlackBerry Maps and possibly BlackBerry Weather. Other apps with changing standards will become obsolete, such as the browser. But other functions with mature standards such as email, calendar, and contacts may last much longer.

Enjoy the ride....I'm just an observer
    02-05-18 11:03 PM
    Enjoy the ride....I'm just an observer
    I understand. There are some people in denial that BB10 development has ceased forever.

Not me. I'll drop my BB10 phones the instant they don't do what I need. I'm not sentimental about my work tools. For now, I write better and faster with the BB10 UX, and don't need much else from a work phone.

Qorax likes this.
    02-06-18 08:12 AM
    I was wondering, does the Blackberry Pearl 8100 still work* today?

*as a communicating device (calls, text etc.)
    That's a BBOS device relying on BIS. The BIS servers are still running for now.

The problem with the 8100 is that it's a 2G Edge device with no wi-fi.

Many carriers are planning to shut down their 2G networks. AT&T in the U.S. already shut theirs down at the end of 2016, and the 8100 just won't work anymore. No calls, text or data.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-06-18 11:37 AM

Many carriers are planning to shut down their 2G networks. AT&T in the U.S. already shut theirs down at the end of 2016, and the 8100 just won't work anymore. No calls, text or data.
    So I guess it would make a good music player and alarm clock lol
    02-06-18 12:46 PM

I think its more the fact that things change on the other end. Browser is the best example as the internet world changes, things in the browser breaks. Certificates being one we saw last year but many others will also show up. Calls and SMS are standardized so much so that those wont break. But who knows about email, new security protocols could come along and break something in the BB10 email app. We just dont know.
    02-06-18 01:49 PM
    I think its more the fact that things change on the other end. Browser is the best example as the internet world changes, things in the browser breaks. Certificates being one we saw last year but many others will also show up. Calls and SMS are standardized so much so that those wont break. But who knows about email, new security protocols could come along and break something in the BB10 email app. We just dont know.
    I agree completely. What we know is that, as things break, they won't be fixed. But I think that's already the case.

02-06-18 02:17 PM

Thanks for clearing it up for me buddy.
    02-06-18 03:19 PM
324 1234 ...