10-15-15 08:32 PM
26 12
tools
    Now I'm a very patient guy, but these duplicate contacts are just driving me absolutely crazy!
    After this latest update, I have multiple contacts and they can't merge. To make matters worse they are empty!!!

Anyone knows any fixes?

I just can't believe that such a high end business device has such a terrible contacts app!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 11:26 PM
    After this latest update, I have multiple contacts and they can't merge. To make matters worse they are empty!!!
    You can put something on them if that bother you so much...

Seriously, you have to disable whatever link you have concerning your contacts e.g. 'app for backing up your contact' or synchronising them with your mobile contact. I have this before 'InTouchApp Contacts - Backup + Synch + Auto' app that keeps duplicating my contacts in my mobile contact app... when I deleted that app, the 'duplication' stop...

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 11:58 PM
    Duplicate contacts have been a problem since BB10 version 10.0.0.
    09-16-15 12:07 AM
    Don't have this issue anyone since moving to pp and since new update no changes in contacts ant I've added a few new contacts since. I've never heard of an update that will clear duplicated contacts automatically, I believe all contact duplication is made on creation not after an update

@ZEDTROSPEKTIV Via BlackBerry Passport, previous Z10, Bold 9790, Bold 9700, Curve 3G, Curve 8250 (1st BB)
    09-16-15 12:11 AM
    Go into your contact app settings. Make sure the automatically merge contacts bar is off. Scroll down to where it says Show Account in Contact List. Move to off all the accounts you do not want to show. I have only BBM and my Work account set to on.

Now go thru your contacts and make sure you have all the info you want. Delete contacts with duplicate and complete the ones that may be incomplete that you want to keep. This takes a while, but it is well worth the effort.

You should be good to go. The problem comes when you use BlackBerry Link. Make sure you do not sync contacts with it if you have done this before you cleaned them up. If you do sync, then all your old contacts will come back. You have to make sure you sync one way and that you sync only with say your work outlook account. Better yet, I sync only with Ultimate Backup and save them to my box account.

It's a process, but once clean, you will stay clean. No duplicates. If it comes back,hit the three menu bars on the lower left of your contacts screen and make sure you are only showing those from your preferred account and not "All".

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 06:41 AM
    I just use my Gmail to save my contacts and only load those contacts,
    I go in contacts and settings and remove facebook twitter linkedin BBM as contacts just leave Gmail
    well that works for me at least no duplicates so far

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    09-16-15 08:18 AM
    Its either outlook or the confusion around sync works. . not BB10.

If you have active outlook sync and use the sync in link you can get this problem of duplicate contacts.
    If you use active exch sync, you dont have to use the sync stuff in Link. turn it off.
    if you dont have an active sync account buy one from microsoft for $4.00 a month and live better.
    09-16-15 08:43 AM
    Some great tips.
    I do not use link at all. I use it to do a backup once in a blue moon. But never saw an issue with it.
    I did however have the app "ultimate back up" and I guess this could have been an issue. I just deleted it, but still have tonnes of duplicates.
    I have two accounts showing work microsoft active sync and personal outlook. I had a lot of contacts on the device, but I have since deleted all of them.
    I will try to delete outlook and istall it again. Not sure if this will help. Problem is that I have not done anything different but all of the sudden all bunch of ghost contacts showed up. So I am not sure where are they coming from.

Does anyone know if there is an option to "default save location"? Right now every time I am adding new contact it automatically saves to three locations. If I do not remember to uncheck location prior to saving, it saves them three times. This may be part of the problem.
    09-16-15 11:33 AM
    Use the app 'intouch' it gets rid of your duplicates.

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480
    09-16-15 12:35 PM
    So check this out...
    I've deleted all the accounts from the phone, deleted local contacts, no contacts on the Sim card and still had about 300 of ghost names. Some 4-5 times.

Where are those coming from?!?!
    So bizare...

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 01:22 PM
    Do you synch to google? Outlook? Saved contacts on the computer? So there are at least 4 if you've done this... since there is device, too.

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    09-16-15 01:50 PM
    viber duplicates contacts... do u have viber installed?

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 02:01 PM
    I do have Viber...
    I will have to look if that is what it is.
    Thanks for that.
    09-16-15 02:30 PM
    Do you synch to google? Outlook? Saved contacts on the computer? So there are at least 4 if you've done this... since there is device, too.

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    I do sync with outlook, but I deleted it. at that time I had no active accounts, and did not connect to my computer (and never use it for anything other than occasional backup). Device contacts were deleted.
    09-16-15 02:32 PM
    He said he had a work outlook sync account. And local account.

He could back up the. Pst files since that needs done sometimes too and reinstall ms office. It's an old install of office and then sync came. That's most likely the source. With new install of office he can then install. Pst back up files. Clean up both accounts. Install sync account on PP. DON'T RUN ANY SYCNC IN LINK on local account until. You understand what's going on. If you have time call microsoft and tell them you need BlackBerry email support.

Posted from a Passport or Z30. Get one!
    09-16-15 02:34 PM
    So check this out...
    I've deleted all the accounts from the phone, deleted local contacts, no contacts on the Sim card and still had about 300 of ghost names. Some 4-5 times.

Where are those coming from?!?!
    So bizare...

Posted via CB10
    How did you delete your local contacts? The way I was shown (and it works) is to go to settings -> accounts -> overflow button (three dots), and select the option "clear local contacts". This will completely delete the local contacts database.
    09-16-15 02:54 PM
    That's exactly how I did it and it deleted all bunch of contacts.
    Also I never backed up contacts with Outlook client, only with outlook.com account and work.
    Even after I deleted everything ghosts were there and we're showing up under 'ALL'

I then went and selected all contacts one by one and deleted them. The phone was showing NO CONTACTS.
    I rebooted and they were back.
    What gives?!

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 03:18 PM
    Also I never backed up contacts with Outlook client, only with outlook.com account and work.
    Even after I deleted everything ghosts were there and we're showing up under 'ALL'

I then went and selected all contacts one by one and deleted them. The phone was showing NO CONTACTS.
    What gives?!

Posted via CB10
    Are they synched duplicated in the outlook.com contacts database? So that they're always double/triple?

09-16-15 10:20 PM
    I used ContactX in the early days of BB10, to remove a lot of unwanted contacts (all of them on my phone) and then synced back from Exchange accounts (Office 365). Also, I had problems with contacts merging that were actually not meant to be merged, and that turned out to be due to 'pollution'. A lot of those had been tagged with " " (a single empty space) as a work address (probably when importing/exporting between Gmail and Outlook 2010 or something) and so sometimes up to 80 (!) contacts were merged that had nothing in common except that faulty info. That took another wipe of contacts and cleaning up the address list in Outlook and syncing back to the phone.

Since that, all has been very well. But I never sync using Link, everything is synced wirelessly. I almost never use Link, as some of my early backup/restores were disasters as well.

Hope this helps you.
    09-17-15 11:51 AM

What gives?!

Posted via CB10
    OK. Very strange. I don't blame you for being frustrated. Do you have any contacts on your SIM that the phone may be pulling in?
    09-17-15 03:01 PM
    No contacts on the SIM.
    This is what is totally strange.
    When you go to contacts, if you select SIM shows empty, select local - empty, select ALL and they show up.
    So I have no idea where they are coming from?!

Someone here suggested the Viber, so I will try to delete it, but will have to wait couple of days as I need to use the app.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 03:30 PM
    Everybody syncs multiple email accounts with contacts, then add these email accounts without un-checking the sync contacts option, and finally they end up with 'dupes' and 'blanks' - but it's always the BlackBerry devices fault.

Posted via CB10
    wojt7 likes this.
    09-24-15 01:25 AM
    Everybody syncs multiple email accounts with contacts, then add these email accounts without un-checking the sync contacts option, and finally they end up with 'dupes' and 'blanks' - but it's always the BlackBerry devices fault.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure if you are referring to my issues throughout the post, but this was clearly not the case.
    I've had two accounts with different contacts, so duplicates were not really an issue. The problem is that even after deleting all the contacts from the phone there were tonnes of contacts still on the phone.
    09-24-15 01:45 AM
    Not sure if you are referring to my issues throughout the post, but this was clearly not the case.
    I've had two accounts with different contacts, so duplicates were not really an issue. The problem is that even after deleting all the contacts from the phone there were tonnes of contacts still on the phone.
    Clearly your phone and settings issue. Pay more attention when setting up a phone next time.
    If the problem still brothers you delete all accounts you have on the phone. All emails, Facebook, Twitter whatever you have.
    After reboot you should have no contacts. Then add accounts one a a time paying attention not to sync contacts. When you have added all accounts turn on contacts sync for just one of them, where your golden contact list reside.
    09-24-15 04:48 AM
    The Outcall Service will solve your contact problems. Download the application from BlackBerry Beta Zone.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 06:32 PM
26 12