Instead of waiting for ATT to roll them out?

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 07:40 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't push software updates to end users. You must either wait on AT&T or download a leak. Unlocked or not.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 07:46 AM
    Updates will be based on what SIM card you have installed, in your case one for ATT and their network.

So if ATT doesn't carry the Passport and doesn't push out updates, you'll just have to do it manually - using Sachesi is usually the preferred method for those that want to do a nondestructive update. But there are other options. Not a problem for consumers, but IT departments....
    12-22-14 07:56 AM
    Updates will be based on what SIM card you have installed, in your case one for ATT and their network.
    Sure that I have read here on CB that if you have a factory unlocked device the updates are pushed from BB but if you have unlocked the device yourself you get them via the SIM card provider.
    thedose likes this.
    12-22-14 08:01 AM
    Sure that I have read here on CB that if you have a factory unlocked device the updates are pushed from BB but if you have unlocked the device yourself you get them via the SIM card provider.
    I have read this to but it's not true.(from what my providor says)
    I contaced my providor to verify that info and they told me that they needed the os from BlackBerry before thzy could push it to the users

Posted via CB10
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    12-22-14 08:04 AM
    I just remember the unlocked guys seemed to get the 10.2.1 updates quicker.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 08:05 AM
    I read the same thing; that those who bought factory-unlocked devices from ShopBB could get updates directly from BlackBerry through Link.
    iToya likes this.
    12-22-14 08:12 AM
    I used to read the same and I wonder if removing the SIM, connecting to WiFi, and then looking for updates will help. I'm on T-Mobile, so there is no hope to get any update for the Passport (or any BlackBerry device for that matter), so don't know how it'll work for me.

Via CB10 on this beast they call the Passport
    12-22-14 08:24 AM
    I used to read the same and I wonder if removing the SIM, connecting to WiFi, and then looking for updates will help.

Via CB10 on this beast they call the Passport
    I believe this to be correct for unlocked devices. Remove SIM, restart, search for updates, update and that's it!
    12-22-14 08:36 AM
    As soon as I bought mine it has been updated a couple times. And I doubt straight talk even cares what phone I use. So I'm going with blackberry releasing updates. At least for unlocked passports.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 08:47 AM
    I have an unlocked PP. I simply follow settings, search for updates and it comes back with my update status as being current. I am on ATT but I suspect the query is against the BB servers. Removing the SIM and repeating the process yields identical results.
    12-22-14 09:10 AM
    I have an unlocked PP. I simply follow settings, search for updates and it comes back with my update status as being current. I am on ATT but I suspect the query is against the BB servers. Removing the SIM and repeating the process yields identical results.
    You have to consider there have been no updates available as of today...

My unlocked Z10 didn't report updates available with my carrier's SIM in it while there was, in fact, an update available. It was a long time ago though. 2013.
    12-22-14 11:45 AM
    Could you also just turn of the radio (all mobile network connections) and run the software update search through wifi?

Just curious...

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 12:15 PM
    The unlocked phones on initial load may bypass the carrier updates if you do not put a SIM in it, but I suspect once you put a SIM in it, it remembers the carrier and even with the SIM out, you will only get your carrier updates.
    12-22-14 12:16 PM
    I have read this to but it's not true.(from what my providor says)
    I contaced my providor to verify that info and they told me that they needed the os from BlackBerry before thzy could push it to the users

Posted via CB10
    Your provider would say that. As they will assume the phone is branded by them. Speaking to them is pointless. Ask BlackBerry directly for an answer really.

I know on android that completely unlocked and unbranded handsets always got updates quicker than those provided by a network provider.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 01:26 PM
    Okay.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 01:33 PM
    I bought my Passport unlocked form shop Blackberry.

I am with AT&T and got the sim card put in my Passport, came home and did an update via my home wi-fi.

This update did not come form AT&T.
    12-22-14 08:29 PM
    Same here. I got my unlocked phone through Amazon. It notified me on an update when I turned on the phone. I'm on AT&T. Since AT&T does not have this phone yet so I believe the update came from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 08:51 PM
    I'll bite as well... I bought mine from Amazon during the Black Friday sale, but did not activate it for some time thereafter... I was using it on wifi only for about 2 weeks prior to activation, as the previous posters stated, as soon as I booted it and conected to my wifi, the update to OS 10.3.0.1418, SR 10.3.0.908, showed up, and I installed... I figured it came straight from Blackberry (as I read on here from the other posts) since I didn't even have a SIM card installed...

So I guess my update now will come from ATT instead? Eh?

Omnia>i3G>9630>9650>Droid Pro>9650>9930>i4S>i5>i5S>Passport
    12-23-14 01:11 AM
    Your provider would say that. As they will assume the phone is branded by them. Speaking to them is pointless. Ask BlackBerry directly for an answer really.

I know on android that completely unlocked and unbranded handsets always got updates quicker than those provided by a network provider.

Posted via CB10
    My device is unlocked since they do not sell BlackBerry devices anymore.
    I bought i directly from BlackBerry.

What i think they meant was that they need the os to push it. But they do not test it like some us carriers do.
    That might be why the updates come faster here in belgium.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 02:04 AM
    Instead of waiting for ATT to roll them out?

Posted via CB10
    The short answer is yes, mines unlocked and I have 5 sims from different carriers and simply pop the one which belongs to the first carrier to have the update into the phone and update. It allows one to keep up with the jones's. It's terrible being locked to a tardy carrier.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    12-23-14 01:41 PM
    Before my passport, I had a Z30 bought direct from Blackberry. I have a TMo sim. I got updates almost immediately as they were released. As TMo isn't supporting Blackberry, nd the updates came out quickly, its unlikely the originated from TMo.
    12-23-14 01:56 PM
    I just got my passport yesterday and downloaded an update over wifi before I got my nano sim.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 02:01 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't push software updates to end users. You must either wait on AT&T or download a leak. Unlocked or not.

Posted via CB10
    Devices purchased DIRECTLY from BlackBerry get OS updates DIRECTLY from BlackBerry as well as from sim specific carriers. The carrier updates will almost always be changed to reflect specific carrier preferences, branding and app shovel ware(some are useful). Many times the OS update number from a carrier will be slightly different from the stock BlackBerry number. This reflects the aforementioned tweaks added ( changed) from the stock release.

To summarize, buy from BlackBerry usually means two updates with the stock BlackBerry coming first when sim is out of phone. Carrier based updated comes through sim and when carrier releases. Yes that usually takes MUCH longer.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    12-23-14 02:10 PM
    In my experience (Q10/Passport direct from ShopBB), as soon as you put in a SIM of any carrier, your device no longer counts as an 'unlocked' device as far as updates are concerned. As long as you never add a SIM card, you will get updates from BlackBerry/Link as they become available.

Maybe it has to do with the additional software your carrier installs, which means your traffic is routed through their servers? I know for sure that removing the SIM after it has been installed once/using WiFi does not change this.

Just look at your phone booting up, as soon as you see a carrier specific animation your phone is no longer "unlocked". But it isn't branded either, it's in some weird Limbo state.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    12-23-14 02:47 PM
26 12