I sideloaded Snap v2 last year shortly after getting my first Passport, and more recently I also loaded Cobalt's Google Play fixes. Whether causally or coincidentally, I found that I had more difficulty backing up through Link after installing Snap. Since installing Cobalt, I can't seem to back up at all using Link.

So now I am preparing to activate a new, second Passport and am contemplating how/whether to use either alternative on my new device. (I am moving my SIM card to the new phone but keeping the old one going as a spare via wifi.) If all I want are APK's, I would think I can just serve them up from the old device. However, I've got a couple of subscriptions set up using Cobalt - It would be nice to have those on the new device as well. But already having one "hacked" Passport, it might be nice to have a simpler setup on this new one. E.g., I am already pruning the many Android apps I don't really use on the first device, which probably contribute to slower performance and faster battery drain in spite of tweaked settings.

Does anyone have any insights to offer regarding Snap or Cobalt as far as working with Link? Other suggestions are welcome too.
    09-12-16 06:56 PM
    SNAP hasn't worked for a while for new users, and now the developer has returned promising a fix.... for a price.

Cobalt's solution is much more than just getting the APK onto your device... it spoofs some of the Google Services that all some of those apps to run.
    You can give it a try with the Apps you need, and see if they will work with out all the rest of what his solution provides. But in the end I suspect that if you need Android apps, you'll want to install Cobalt's solution. But Cobalt has said a few times that he really isn't working on it anymore, and 4.3 is just too old to expect compatibility with newer Android Apps.
    09-13-16 08:15 AM
    SNAP hasn't worked for a while for new users, and now the developer has returned promising a fix.... for a price
    Snap 3.0.0.1 has now been released and is working fine now http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post12585107
    Does anyone have any insights to offer regarding Snap or Cobalt as far as working with Link?
    Not sure what you mean by this but I have never had any problems with Snap and Blackberry Link. Sorry cannot comment about Cobalt's GPS/Link
    09-13-16 08:51 AM
    As I said, it could be casual or coincidental. If the latter, then it was likely one of the many Android apps causing the problem. By that point I had too many to want to wipe and start over again. I've just always been a little more suspicious of Snap because of the settings changes needed to sideload it.

Could also one of the other"ghosts" in the Link machine: I am, for example, also seeing issues sync'ing music files right now. I posted my question in the hopes that I could use a backup file to transfer from the first Passport to the second, but since I'm keeping the first intact, at least for the time being, it's probably just as well that I install the second one from scratch.
    09-13-16 07:01 PM