12-04-16 06:17 PM
34 12
tools
    sorry, but i'm not buying it. often the apps are visible in device monitor, and there you can view associated cpu usage and mobile data usage. the apps are running, and doing something!!!

Posted via CBX
    Well, the truth does not require you to believe it I suppose.

Read the developer blog if you must:

https://developer.blackberry.com/and..._software.html

Read the section under "background services". Here is the text:

"Apps can run services ONLY while the user runs them, either in full screen or in thumbnail mode."

Cobalt has also confirmed it. I don't know what else I can say.
    11-15-16 05:11 PM
    No it doesn't work for me. I use cobalt's playstore. I highly recommend that.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-16 11:43 PM
    Chose SNAP if you don't want Google Play on BB10. Cobalt's solution patch's (changes) apps that expect Google Play Services to be available allowing them to run on BB10. The Google Play Store is included with Cobolt's Solution.
    12-03-16 12:03 PM
    Snap doesn't seem to show all available apps. I want to install an app on my wife`s Q5 and my old Z30, but it doesn' t show up in the search in Snap. But it exists; I see it in GPS on my Priv.
    12-03-16 05:10 PM
    Chose SNAP if you don't want Google Play on BB10. Cobalt's solution patch's (changes) apps that expect Google Play Services to be available allowing them to run on BB10. The Google Play Store is included with Cobolt's Solution.
    Cobalt's Google Play Store is one thing that can stand alone. The additional capability of being able to patch apps is an optional extra that installs on a PC.
    12-03-16 05:15 PM
    Android apps do not run in the background on BB10.
    This is obviously well documented, so I'm not doubting you, but if this is true, how do notifications from Android apps work?

I know, from personal use, I have received notifications from Android apps when they are closed. I have gotten Amazon notifications when the Amazon app was closed, and I have also received Spotify notifications when another device on my account was listening to music.

This seems as if at minimum some service is running in the background even if there aren't Android apps open.
    12-03-16 07:06 PM
    how do notifications from Android apps work?
    The app sets a trigger in the Runtime itself.
    12-04-16 05:31 PM
    The app sets a trigger in the Runtime itself.
    I guess I don't understand how this is different than running in the background? A process is triggered when the app that is setting the trigger is closed.
    12-04-16 05:48 PM
    I guess I don't understand how this is different than running in the background? A process is triggered when the app that is setting the trigger is closed.
    The trigger is used for apps that occasionally poll.

For push notifications, the Android Runtime keeps an open connection to Google's server. It uses very little resources until something sends a message to an app on your phone. This one connection is used by any and all apps receiving push notifications.

The Runtime determines which app the notification is for, and sends a notification to the HUB.
    12-04-16 06:17 PM
34 12