Well, as the title says, I'm slowly losing confidence in Blackberry! Why? Well, for starters, there was a time that one could connect their BlackBerry to a computer and perform the most simple task,...and that is - backup the device! Not any more! The last time I was able to backup my Passport was in January 2017! After I installed v10.3.2.1463, the device would not even be recognized over USB! :-(

So, I visit here and read a few posts regarding how folks are dealing with Link recognizing BB10 devices. So, today, I uninstalled BB Link,...Restarted my PC,....and reinstalled. I was able to sync my photos and Contacts/Calendar to my PC. That's it. Upon seeing that I had connectivity, I was sure that I'd be able to backup the device! But no,....I get the message that basically states the device is not connected! Yeah,...Right!

Note, I have a leaked version of 10.3.3.1463 installed and get a notice to update the OS to 10.3.3.1463! LOL! What gives???

Now, the most important thing I need on my device is my Password Keeper,....as it has every Password and User profile setup on many of my accounts,...data,....apps,...SAT radio, data, etc.

So, I'm like stuck between a rock and a hard place!,...as my Passport is literally worth it's weight in gold to me,...if not more!
    anon(3732391) and krazyatom like this.
    06-30-17 10:24 PM
    The reason your PC is not recognizing your device is because your firewall is blocking it.
    Change it to "Allow" and that problem will be solved!!

Regarding your "Leaked" version.... First be sure it's the correct version. SQW100 1,2,3 or 4
    Reinstall software v.10.3.3.1463 which is OS v.10.3.3.2205

There's really NOTHING (and never has been) any difference between CB's Leaks and the so called "official" release from your carrier.
    The difference is the CB crew did a once over to be sure everything was in order before letting it loose on us and we didn't have to wait for the carrier to take it's time releasing the OS with all their added bloatware.
    Last edited by Lostboy5151; 06-30-17 at 11:37 PM.
    JMDBERRY and andy957 like this.
    06-30-17 11:19 PM
    Why do you need to backup contacts and calendar? Aren't they supposed to be synced already on your email eg. Outlook or Gmail?
    andy957 likes this.
    07-01-17 02:31 AM
    The reason your PC is not recognizing your device is because your firewall is blocking it.

Regarding your "Leaked" version.... First be sure it's the correct version. SQW100 1,2,3 or 4

There's really NOTHING (and never has been) any difference between CB's Leaks and the so called "official" release from your carrier.
    The difference is the CB crew did a once over to be sure everything was in order before letting it loose on us and we didn't have to wait for the carrier to take it's time releasing the OS with all their added bloatware.
    I'm having a similar issue, how does one disable the firewall to have PC recognize passport?

Posted via CB10
    07-01-17 08:11 PM
    I'm having a similar issue, how does one disable the firewall to have PC recognize passport?

Posted via CB10
    You Don't want to disable the firewall. Every program on your PC goes through the firewall. you may want to block (disable) a specific program from "phoning home. for example a friend told me if you install an illegal piece of software you wouldn't want it to communicate with the home site because it would see that it isn't registered.... anyway, that's a bad example. just stick with legally purchased products. NOW THEN, you'll scroll down and look for
    RIM/ Blackberry/ Link/Blend (You won't see all these words, I'm just giving you suggestions on what to look for .
    One entry will read C: Programs/ and so on. another will be something like Blackberry.exe. you'll find different choices neXt to each entry.... Allow, Block, Custom. Allow anything Blackberry.
    Where to find your firewall?? Windows10> Control Panel> Firewall. If you're running a third party anti-virus program, the firewall will be found in that app.
    If you're running a free antivirus program.. it will alert you to malware, etc.. "AFTER THE FACT" (meaning you've already got it. With the WannaCry Ransomware and the new second phase WannaCrypt, the best way to avoid it taking over your computer and rendering it useless to you is to backup your system. While you can find everything for your PC on the internet for free (or so I'm told)... The most important program is your security.And there are only about 4 or 5 brands that are up to the task of protecting your Computer, safe search, Identity save
    I use Norton Security w/ backup and it catches the bad stuff BEFORE it can install itself on your PC. It's about 50 bucks and can be installed in up to 10 PC's and mobile devices.

To the question: WHY BACKUP CONTACTS and Calendars. "Supposed" to doesn't mean it will.
    In my case... I won't fully trust things digital in some virtual dimension until I can download food.
    07-02-17 06:03 AM
    You Don't want to disable the firewall. Every program on your PC goes through the firewall. you may want to block (disable) a specific program from "phoning home. for example a friend told me if you install an illegal piece of software you wouldn't want it to communicate with the home site because it would see that it isn't registered.... anyway, that's a bad example. just stick with legally purchased products. NOW THEN, you'll scroll down and look for
    RIM/ Blackberry/ Link/Blend (You won't see all these words, I'm just giving you suggestions on what to look for .
    One entry will read C: Programs/ and so on. another will be something like Blackberry.exe. you'll find different choices neXt to each entry.... Allow, Block, Custom. Allow anything Blackberry.
    Where to find your firewall?? Windows10> Control Panel> Firewall. If you're running a third party anti-virus program, the firewall will be found in that app.
    If you're running a free antivirus program.. it will alert you to malware, etc.. "AFTER THE FACT" (meaning you've already got it. With the WannaCry Ransomware and the new second phase WannaCrypt, the best way to avoid it taking over your computer and rendering it useless to you is to backup your system. While you can find everything for your PC on the internet for free (or so I'm told)... The most important program is your security.And there are only about 4 or 5 brands that are up to the task of protecting your Computer, safe search, Identity save
    I use Norton Security w/ backup and it catches the bad stuff BEFORE it can install itself on your PC. It's about 50 bucks and can be installed in up to 10 PC's and mobile devices.

To the question: WHY BACKUP CONTACTS and Calendars. "Supposed" to doesn't mean it will.
    In my case... I won't fully trust things digital in some virtual dimension until I can download food.
    Hi, you mentioned Windows 10. Do you have Link working on Windows 10, and set it to work as in your post above?
    I heard that Link does not work well on Windows 10, if it works at all. So I've been holding on my Win 7 computer though the new one with Win 10 in it is ready on my desk.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-17 08:22 AM
    If you use Outlook or Gmail email on your Passport or any BB10 device you probably don't need to backup contacts and calendar unless you didn't allow them to sync with your device.
    JMDBERRY likes this.
    07-02-17 09:03 AM
    Re firewall. May or may not be the issue. Just disconnect from the Internet and turn it off if you're worried. Turn back on before re connecting.

Be the easiest way to test if that is the issue.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 07-02-17 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Add
    07-02-17 09:11 AM
    "jdesignz
    If you use Outlook or Gmail email on your Passport or any BB10 device you probably don't need to backup contacts and calendar unless you didn't allow them to sync with your device."

I have Outlook,...and Gmail. The contacts on my PP are primary over all other,...such as Outlook,..or Gmail. When I sync to PC,...I do a "one way" sync only from PP to PC.
    07-02-17 10:37 AM

Well, I checked my Firewall settings and BlackBerry Link is an approved app. The messages I'm getting when attempting to perform a backup are: 1) "Computng backup data; 2) "Backup did not complete,...Verify that your device is turned on and connected to BlackBerry Link, and try again."

Note: My primary reason for backing up the device is for my "Password Keeper",...I use "BlackBerry Password Keeper" and have many,..I mean many things locked down in Password Keeper. as far as for emails and text msgs,...I don't give a crap about them.
    07-02-17 10:44 AM

The OS version on my PP is: 10.3.3.2205
    07-02-17 10:46 AM
    Note: My primary reason for backing up the device is for my "Password Keeper",...I use "BlackBerry Password Keeper" and have many,..I mean many things locked down in Password Keeper
    This is the main reason why I chose KeePass over the native Password Keeper. KeePassB (BBW) is a multi-platform password keeper that I can easily backup and run on Windows, BB10, android etc etc. Hope you can find a solution to your problem though.
    JMDBERRY likes this.
    07-02-17 10:51 AM
    "jdesignz
    If you use Outlook or Gmail email on your Passport or any BB10 device you probably don't need to backup contacts and calendar unless you didn't allow them to sync with your device."

I have Outlook,...and Gmail. The contacts on my PP are primary over all other,...such as Outlook,..or Gmail. When I sync to PC,...I do a "one way" sync only from PP to PC.
    Oh well, that's a lot of work lol good luck anyway
    07-02-17 11:17 AM
    One detail I forgot! Along with the above suggestions.... when you down Blackberry Link/Blend/Drivers it appears right on your Desktop.
    Find the EXE package (should be in your downloads and right click on it and "Run As Administrator."
    You may not have that feature but don't worry. Install the desktop program.
    I believe Link starts automatically. Close it> attach your device with the USB cable to your PC. reboot! Now... the first time you open Link (open Link first) right click and "Run as administrator" If it doesn't recognize your device , plug it into a different USB port.. if it still doesn't recognize your device try a different cable, confirm that the port on your mobile device is free of dust, dirt and other buildup (Condensed air is great for that.)
    Also, I found that transferring the download files to the desktop (bringing it into "focus") helps.
    I can't explain it..in fact, I'm not sure if I actually did it or dreamed it , but you've got nothing to lose.
    NOTE: When reinstalling backup to a newer OS, DO NOT reinstall system files. WHY??? Backed up files OLD... upgraded OS NEW.

Again, as far as "Probably? It's defined as "ALMOST certainly; as far as one knows or can tell.
    Speaking for myself,, they may as well have used the work "MAYBE."

I expect an influx any minute now telling me how and why what I did "can't be done. So' I'm obliged to write the follow .

DISCLAIMER:
    Everything has been offered as suggestions. What you do, you do at your own risk, blah, blah, blah and so on and so forth. (they make me say that.

And finally, pay no attention to the guy in the Zorro pajamas. Why???
    He's wearing Zorro Pajamas !!! You need a better reason???
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-02-17 01:00 PM
    Have you tried Ultimate Backup app? It does the job well when I was still a follower back then and never had touch Link til I gave up my Passport. So try it if you have the chance. Cheers!
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    07-02-17 01:08 PM
    In regards to Password Keeper, you can make a backup to your SD card or to your own trusted laptop using the export feature in PK.

Behold, my thumbs have spoken.
    jafobabe and BigBadWulf like this.
    07-02-17 01:20 PM
    In regards to Password Keeper, you can make a backup to your SD card or to your own trusted laptop using the export feature in PK.

Thanks ! I didn't know that before. So much easier.
    JMDBERRY likes this.
    07-02-17 02:55 PM
    I use enpass. I don't want to use something that is tied to one system or company. Just not a good idea.
    brookie229 likes this.
    07-02-17 03:01 PM
    I've been reading a few posts in here and sounds like some peeps are having computer issues and rather nothing to do with BB!?
    07-02-17 04:16 PM
    I've been reading a few posts in here and sounds like some peeps are having computer issues and rather nothing to do with BB!?
    Windows 10 is too new for the current (i.e. from 2015) version of Link, and BlackBerry hasn't updated it to get it to work consistently. Even if Link was working, 10.3.3 doesn't appear to work too well with it either.
    07-02-17 04:23 PM

My friend! You have "restored" my faith! Export of 267 BB Password Keeper entries done! Mission complete!

Edit: Thank you very much!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-02-17 04:36 PM
    I use enpass. I don't want to use something that is tied to one system or company. Just not a good idea.
    I prefer "BB Password Keeper",...for BlackBerry's encryption technology! I trust Blackberry over all other devices made,...no matter the brand!,...even over my PC!
    07-02-17 04:38 PM
    "jdesignz

sooo.. all your contacts/calendar is already synced over the air with you gmail/outlook.com account (or in most cases whatever you use for email)
    jdesignz likes this.
    07-02-17 05:13 PM
    Probably!!
    07-03-17 01:14 AM
    Pretty sure password keeper has a cloud backup option as well. You only need to turn it on in the app settings
    07-03-17 02:32 AM
31 12