11-27-14 11:06 AM
28 12
tools
    Yeah something is terribly wrong with that camera. It's borderline not usable.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 02:27 PM
    From my knowledge of cameras,

The lag which is related to the light is not 'lag' in the same sense as you would describe slow loading of an app.

The shutter speed of the front-facing camera is automatically adjusted to compensate for lack of light in low-light conditions to a slower speed so that there is more time for more light to be received. For example, the shutter speed may be automatically adjusted to 1/10th of a second when you are in your house at night. This means that your camera is only receiving an image every 1/10th second. Theoretically, even if your passport and your camera app is completely lag-free and operating at 60fps (arbitrary number), this will result in the screen displaying 60 frames per second of a 1/10th per second stream from your camera sensor. So what you will see in this example is, your display showing you 6 frames of the same image, at a rate of 60 frames per second. It is not really lag because you are not missing out on any images, as the number of frames per second your display can show you exceeds the number of images per second your camera sensor is capturing.

Low shutter speed is not a problem. If you could override the automatic adjustment of the shutter speed in low light conditions, and manually adjust the shutter speed to be faster, the image would be too dark. For instance, if you aimed your front-facing camera into a lamp, the shutter speed increases to adjust for excess light. Everything around it looks dark at that shutter speed, because at that shutter speed the sensor would not receive enough light to produce a reasonably lit image of whatever was around the lamp.

The camera sensor not receiving enough light is the real problem.
    I would consider any adjustment for the front-facing camera sensor to receive more light to (1) most likely require a hardware solution, or (2) involve the taking of pictures in brighter conditions.

Having said all that, it is possible that maybe your passport came with a bad sensor that was not as sensitive to light as it should be. The only way to tell is if you run an experiment with another BB Passport.
    11-27-14 10:52 AM
    Yeah something is terribly wrong with that camera. It's borderline not usable.

Posted via CB10
    Well sorry you can't use yours. I have taken some wonderful pics with my Passport.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    11-27-14 11:06 AM
28 12