Hi, I am wondering if anyone has any wisdom on how it might be possible to use SlimPort to play movies to TV in 16:9 format. I just got a SlimPort for my Passport, and the TV mirrors the screen all right. But I don't like to use just the small portion of the TV it gives me to use and would rather have the whole wide screen experience. Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 12:42 AM
    Never worked properly and never will. Sad thing really, but very typical of how BlackBerry does stuff. It's always half-baked. There is even an output ratio in the settings, but it makes no difference.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 01:40 AM
    What software are you using to play the movies? In the video player built into the OS, there is the Play-On option, which when selected will go full screen on the TV. Kalemsoft media Player will do this as well. Not sure about movies streamed through the browser or other apps.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 05:20 AM
    I use kalemsoft media player and works great. Definitely recommend this.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 05:31 AM
    I was trying to watch Netflix.

The key problem is that the moment I plug in SlimPort into TV, I get the box, rather than any kind of attempt to stretch the screen to match the TV. Now that I think about it, it makes sense. This might be the one limitation of Passport's square screen format. I assume I would have the same problem with various Miracast options?

Disappointing, though. Makes Passport not a good device for presentations, either, I assume?

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 09:34 AM
    The problem is in the Netflix app, or a limitation of the Android run time.

If you use a program written for BB10 for presentations, it will have the show-on option and go full screen.
    09-10-15 12:49 PM
    16:9 IS SUPPORTED on the Passport using slimport AND miracast. It doesn't work on Android apps, but it works natively on BB10.

You can view videos downloaded to or recorded on the Passport in 16:9 by selecting the 'Play On' option. You can also view 16:9 photos taken in full screen on TV's. Finally, presentation mode displays PowerPoint in16 9 if you have a 16:9 ppt template (a Powerpoint setting).

Won't work with Netflix because that's an Android app.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 09:36 PM
    Never worked properly and never will. Sad thing really, but very typical of how BlackBerry does stuff. It's always half-baked. There is even an output ratio in the settings, but it makes no difference.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting your response. Perhaps you should have let the man clarify that he was trying to use the Android Netflix app before you decided to run negative. The Passport's video output works properly when used with the native apps. If you say it never worked properly, maybe the problem is with your phone...not the whole Passport line.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    09-10-15 09:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not true. Try using 'Play on' next time you're watching a video on YouTube or when watching a video you've recorded or when viewing 16:9 photos you've taken or when you're running a 16:9 ppt presentation. It doesn't work on Netflix because that's not built for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    09-10-15 09:44 PM
    Exactly right. Just get a video convertor like Xilisoft or the new ACDSEE Suite. Convert video to Mpeg4 and choose play on. It works good and I think there was a slight diff how it plays compared to Z30.
    Last edited by Zeratul57; 09-11-15 at 08:14 AM.
    09-10-15 09:46 PM
    Interesting your response. Perhaps you should have let the man clarify that he was trying to use the Android Netflix app before you decided to run negative. The Passport's video output works properly when used with the native apps. If you say it never worked properly, maybe the problem is with your phone...not the whole Passport line.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    Not true. Try using 'Play on' next time you're watching a video on YouTube or when watching a video you've recorded or when viewing 16:9 photos you've taken or when you're running a 16:9 ppt presentation. It doesn't work on Netflix because that's not built for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Perfectly aware of the "Play On" feature. It is limited in its function. I stand by what I said, this never worked properly on the Passport, ever. It's not even supported in all native apps. Try iOS AirPlay and you'll see how it is supposed to work properly.
    09-11-15 12:49 AM
    Perfectly aware of the "Play On" feature. It is limited in its function. I stand by what I said, this never worked properly on the Passport, ever. It's not even supported in all native apps. Try iOS AirPlay and you'll see how it is supposed to work properly.
    As many other people told you, it works fine in the native browser and other with other bb10 apps.
    I watch BBC World News live while travelling and connect with an hdmi cable to a 16:9 hotel monitor. Works beautifully and adjusts to the monitor screen size and ratio.
    Works with other TV stations, too, and with videos, powerpoint presentations, pictures, as other people pointed out.
    It does not work with Netflix because Netflix is an android app.
    09-11-15 02:54 AM
    I keep getting these weird black bars when videos using IOS airplay on my square TV!

I bought the passport!

Problem solved!

Looool

Just use the play on feature!

Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    09-11-15 04:21 AM
    Its not possible that this doesn't work. One of the selling points is hooking it up to a tv for presentations and things. Ofcourse netflix is netrflix and doesnt want to work with us. Why? Did someone pay them not to?
    09-11-15 08:12 AM
    You can stand by what you originally said all you won't, but that won't make your statement correct. Playing videos, running presentations, and viewing 16:9 photos using PlayOn works flawlessly on BB10. It fills my entire 65" screen with content, which is exactly what I expect it to do. I've seen AirPlay and it does the same thing. There's an "airplay" icon, similar to the Playon icon, that you press to play your content. Both BB10 & Apple allow you to control the content playing on the TV from the device...nothing new here.

Here's a link to a demo of AppleTV for those who may not be familiar:

If there's something in particular that AirPlay has or PlayOn lacks, please elaborate.
    09-11-15 02:37 PM
    Yeah, you keep standing, brother. You take that stand and don't let nobody beat you down. You keep standing, even if it is your own flawed opinion and not a proven fact. If I ever go back to Apple merchandise, I'll give that AirPlay a run...until then, I'm good with Passport.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-11-15 04:27 PM
    I keep seeing the "Play On" feature in these threads but I do not see it at all on my PP. What am I missing?

NM, I have always opened video files with the File Manager and that "Play on" feature is not enabled that route. Found it when I used Video.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Jarubell; 10-22-15 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Figured it out
    10-22-15 05:18 PM
    I keep seeing the "Play On" feature in these threads but I do not see it at all on my PP. What am I missing?

NM, I have always opened video files with the File Manager and that "Play on" feature is not enabled that route. Found it when I used Video.

Posted via CB10
    You have to click on the the three vertical dots in the bottom right corner of your browser. Once you do that a submenu appears. One of the options is Play on.
    10-24-15 09:47 PM