I picked up my passport again recently as like many on this forum I missed the 'feel good' and productivity factor of using the device.

Two of the Apps that I use a lot are Slack and Skype. Both previously were problematic for me.

On a whim I simply tried to install the versions from Google Play (using Cobalt's Google Play App).

Bizarrely both are working for me - both the slack app (v 2.38.0-5436) and the skype app (v. 8.15.0.419).

I did not patch them at all.

I did have to click past the google play services message in Skype but after that it just launched as normal.

I'm of course pretty happy with this but in any case I thought I would share in the event anyone else wants to try.

I'm running a Passport SE (10.3.2.2836) and my order of events was:

- Install both Apps from my Google Play Account
    - Reboot device immediately
    - Wait 10 minutes after start.
    - Launch another QNX based app and then exit
    - Launch Skype, set up.
    - Launch Slack setup.

Skype and Slack are both working for calls and Skype is working for video also.
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    06-24-19 06:20 AM
    I picked up my passport again recently as like many on this forum I missed the 'feel good' and productivity factor of using the device.

Two of the Apps that I use a lot are Slack and Skype. Both previously were problematic for me.

On a whim I simply tried to install the versions from Google Play (using Cobalt's Google Play App).

Bizarrely both are working for me - both the slack app (v 2.38.0-5436) and the skype app (v. 8.15.0.419).

I did not patch them at all.

I did have to click past the google play services message in Skype but after that it just launched as normal.

I'm of course pretty happy with this but in any case I thought I would share in the event anyone else wants to try.

I'm running a Passport SE (10.3.2.2836) and my order of events was:

- Install both Apps from my Google Play Account
    - Reboot device immediately
    - Wait 10 minutes after start.
    - Launch another QNX based app and then exit
    - Launch Skype, set up.
    - Launch Slack setup.

Skype and Slack are both working for calls and Skype is working for video also.
    You could have just used yalp store instead, as it is more up to date. But if it works for you, then type away!

How's slack on your battery? Last time I tried it I used a q5, and it ate my battery :/

Posted via CB10
    06-24-19 09:22 AM
    Too early to tell but of course keeping Skype backgrounded is going to be a bit of a battery drain but I can live with that. The bigger issues was simply it not working.
    06-24-19 10:22 AM
    Slack no longer supports Android 4.3 so you won't be able to use the newer versions, on BB10 it doesn't support push notifications either.

Asides from the initial error, Skype still works great. For Android 5.0 and older Skype basically defaults to the "Lite" version which I personally prefer.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-24-19 01:52 PM
    My Skype (8.15 I think) complains about no Google Play services but it otherwise works.
    I can do text, voice and video calls and it works fine. I deliberately left it running in the background (I didn't deliberately kill it) and oddly it didn't really seem to hit my battery life.
    This was on Z10 and Passport

Posted via CB10
    06-24-19 04:53 PM
    I see on the forums that there is lots of advice that the Passport cannot be used in 2019. That is not my experience. Email is a dream. 'Remember' is probably the best offline Evernote App ever made. I can use Skype, Slack, WhatsApp and I am still using some of the really innovative Apps that we on OS 10, and oh, of course IMO it has the best keyboard of any phone ever made, and the screen size makes it the most usable mobile device outside of a tablet.

Will it eventually die. Sure, but not yet and maybe not for a while yet.

Can you use the Passport in 2019 ? IMO, yes, easily.
    06-27-19 06:55 AM
    I see on the forums that there is lots of advice that the Passport cannot be used in 2019. That is not my experience. Email is a dream. 'Remember' is probably the best offline Evernote App ever made. I can use Skype, Slack, WhatsApp and I am still using some of the really innovative Apps that we on OS 10, and oh, of course IMO it has the best keyboard of any phone ever made, and the screen size makes it the most usable mobile device outside of a tablet.

06-27-19 06:56 AM
    Yeah, well even Windows Mobile is usable in 2019.
    Most of my work, and I bet many others, gets done on a DESKTOP/LAPTOP. Where the apps that matter usually have no equivalent on the mobile and the rest of the work is done via email and web browser.

I see no reason to stop using my PP...

As a mobile device to extend office work, it's a bit of a stretch to say "completely unusable" as I have heard so many times. It's like saying a car is "unusable" in 2019 if it doesn't have XM Radio or built in GPS maps or power windows.
    Anyone wanna send me their "unusable" BB10 or Windows 10 Phone, I will gladly take it.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-19 07:08 PM
    Yeah, well even Windows Mobile is usable in 2019.
    Most of my work, and I bet many others, gets done on a DESKTOP/LAPTOP. Where the apps that matter usually have no equivalent on the mobile and the rest of the work is done via email and web browser.

I see no reason to stop using my PP...

As a mobile device to extend office work, it's a bit of a stretch to say "completely unusable" as I have heard so many times. It's like saying a car is "unusable" in 2019 if it doesn't have XM Radio or built in GPS maps or power windows.
    Anyone wanna send me their "unusable" BB10 or Windows 10 Phone, I will gladly take it.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Just please don't send me your Android phone of any variety. That is truly "unusable."
    06-27-19 08:10 PM

Whatever floats your boat. Enjoy.
    06-27-19 10:35 PM