I just kept Skype running in the background and it drained my Passport's battery by 70% within less than 2 hours. Has anyone else experienced that?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    divakar likes this.
    11-06-14 03:24 AM
    I think it did drain my battery on Z10 extensively, and now on the passport I log out whenever I don't use it. Just to give you an advice, don't let it run at the background regardless android Skype or BlackBerry world Skype

BlackBerry Passport
    bbjdog likes this.
    11-06-14 03:41 AM
    Yes, and I deleted skype

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 03:56 AM
    I had the same trouble on my BB passport I saw SKYPE was running On the background downloading and uploading data and draining my batterry within hours.

I had to delete the App and re-install it.
    11-06-14 04:24 AM
    Do not need delete it, just logoff from skype, and log in when you need skype

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 04:45 AM
    Yeah, I also have had the same exact issue. I've deleted it because, regardless of having turned off the notifications and logged off from the app, I've noticed that it kept on draining the battery and had high cpu usage (at different times during the day). I'll use it on my laptop and iPad ony exclusively.
    11-06-14 04:58 AM
    I logged off but could see skype still active in the battery monitor. And battery was hot and draining fast, that's when I decided to delete.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 04:58 AM
    Strange this. When I shut down Skype it really does shut down. I don't have to log out or anything, it just closes and doesn't use up battery or CPU. I don't know why my experience is any different to the others on here at all, I haven't done anything with the settings that I can recall.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 05:01 AM
    Skype drains battery. Doesn't matter if you are using a BlackBerry, an iPhone, or an Android.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 05:29 AM
    Yup I have just hard reset my BlackBerry passport. Because my unit is draining fast and heating... I dont know maybe in onedrive or maybe skype.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 06:16 AM
    Yes, and I deleted it.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 06:18 AM
    I think there is a problem with Skype in general or just Skype on the Passport. When I noticed that Skype was running in the background and draining my battery, I did a reboot. Normally, this should shut down Skype, but when the Passport rebooted, Skype was still running. I had to close it down manually.

I would recommend only running it when you need it, otherwise you won't get a day's use out of it.
    11-06-14 06:46 AM
    I think there is a problem with Skype in general or just Skype on the Passport. When I noticed that Skype was running in the background and draining my battery, I did a reboot. Normally, this should shut down Skype, but when the Passport rebooted, Skype was still running. I had to close it down manually.

I would recommend only running it when you need it, otherwise you won't get a day's use out of it.
    And we can cook egg with our passport!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 06:48 AM
    Not true. It does not drain my battery. Most of the complaints could be assumptions just because it is an android port. It could be an android app but it is a well ported app. At least to me it works well, as it should. I use it everyday for work continuously for 8 hours, I do not see any battery drain even on my Z10.
    11-06-14 08:16 AM
    Do you leave your car and house door wide open when you are not home. Then treat your Blackberry OS the same way, close or uninstall.
    11-06-14 08:38 AM
    Not true. It does not drain my battery. Most of the complaints could be assumptions just because it is an android port. It could be an android app but it is a well ported app. At least to me it works well, as it should. I use it everyday for work continuously for 8 hours, I do not see any battery drain even on my Z10.
    I agree that it is a well-ported app. It works well and behaves almost like a native app in performance. However, if it is left running, it will use consume CPU cycles and battery. Just in it's idle state I am watching it on Device Monitor use between 2% and 15% CPU just sitting there doing nothing.
    11-06-14 08:50 AM
    It drains on every device. I use it a lot, but it sucks
    11-06-14 09:11 AM
    No issue here. Using native SKYPE and it shows 0.1% in device monitor.
    I have enable auto login but did not open it after my last re-start, not sure if that matter.
    11-06-14 11:05 AM
    My exact thought on this.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 11:39 AM
    It drained 20% in half hour. Granted I was logged in but still..

Windmere
    11-06-14 12:53 PM
    Thanks for all the comments. It appears that Skype keeps running in the background when you sign out. It is not like that on other devices. On the Passport the app loads immediately which is a clear indication that you actually did not sign out and quit the app altogether. Device monitor on my Passport indicates that Skype used 5.6% battery during last night even though I was signed out. System battery use was 5.2% during the same time period indicating that Skype consumes more resources than the OS. Unbelievable junk, how could BlackBerry approve this? - UNINSTALLED

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    11-06-14 06:26 PM